• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stimming - substitute for rubber bands?

MaeveTheRaven

Hi everyone!

In my mid-teens I picked up a quite unhealthy stimming habit: picking, squeezing and scratching my face, my shoulders, my chest and kind of anything that is in my hand's reach. I've been doing this for so long that it became totally unconscious, and I'm doing it a lot, so I started to look for a substitute.

That's how I found, accidentally, rubber bands. The ones you use for household stuff. Snapping them, picking or chewing on them gives a similar kind of satisfaction as picking on my face, but these rubber bands are quite weak, I can completely destroy them in a couple of hours.

So I'm asking you, pleople, can you recommend me something that is similar to ordinary rubber bands, but lasts longer? I kind of feel guilty for wasting away so much plastic.

Thanks a lot!
Maeve

Hair elastics are a bit more sturdy in my experience. I always have one on my wrist.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Yeah, I'm in the progress of looking into stimtoys. Right now I have tons of stress balls and a handmade necklace with a stone, a pinecone, an acorn and a little bell. That kinda works, but I tend to forget to use it.

Sleeve bands indeed seem to be a good idea, I didn't even know those were a thing.

I usually have a band in my hair, so I can use that as a last resort thing, but it's less stretchy and soaks in saliva if I bite on it. It's still not a bad idea, I just need to remember not to chew on it.

And don't worry about smoking, I can't really stand the smell of it. Also I'm a singer, and my lifestyle is already ruining my voice, so I don't really need another thing to do so.

By the way, google led me to a thing called stretchy strings/noodles? They seem to be similar to those stretchy yo-yos, except without the ball on the end. They seem to have the same stretchiness as rubber bands but with more durability. Does anyone have any experience with those?

I use knitting as my “stim” of choice. My entire family is now wearing handmade socks.

I knit too.
(Only in a straight line to the end of a row, and repeat)
I can knit anybody a dodgey looking scarf :)
It’s the repetitive noise and movement that’s calming...
... but I have to be doing something else at the same time,
Like sitting still watching a Ted talk, you tube or a series or film.

@MaeveTheRaven,

Have you tried cutting your nails really, really short?
Or bite them short?

No equipment to ‘pick’ with then?

I have the same problem with picking at my lips and face. I wish I could find something that works. The only thing that I have ever found to work is pumkin or sunflower seeds roast in their shells, because you have to take off the husk to eat them and this is extremely addictive and satisfying. Unfortunately also lots of calories. Or doing something to occupy your hands like a jigsaw puzzle or knitting as @Gracey suggests.

I used to pick, a lot. :)

I found it quite interesting and a bit of a relief that after an intense anxious phase, I’d systematically bitten my nails ‘down to the wood’

I had nothing left to pick or scratch with and automatically went onto do something else;
Chewing the side of my mouth, twirling my hair to name but a few.
I found it quite by accident.

The urge hadn’t dissipated,
Alternative stims (?) found me.
Any damage inflicted by nails on skin and worrying certain areas with scratching or picking healed :)

I now purposely keep my nails really short.

Last edited:
@Gracey Yes, I did try that, I just kept on picking with my short nails. xD Or scratching my scalp.

I had a few years when every time I saw a mirror I compulsively started to squeeze my pores. I kind of managed to get over that (I went about 250 days tracking and marking the appearance of the urge on my forearm with an eyeliner pen), though sometimes I still shower with lights off so I don't get the temptation to start again. It's easy to fall back in.

@MaeveTheRaven,
You did well tracking for that length of time.

I agree, it can be easy to fall back in.
The habit is already formed. In times of stress it’s easy to go back to a default setting.

My eyesight isn’t what it once was, I don’t have any mirrors in great, natural daylight, my nails are so short they just cover the nail bed and I now know there’s nothing ‘bad’ inside of me,

In that respect it’s perhaps much easier for me to choose not to fall back in, you know,
Feel that urge but choose not to - without it creating extra anxiety.

Do you think you will try those noodle things?

I think the stim toys are a great idea. :)

In my own circumstances though,
If it isn’t attached to me in some way, I misplace things or forget I have them.

I’ve popped those little air pockets on bubble wrap before now. That was quite satisfying :)

I’ve tapped out songs in my head using fingers on one hand, as a distraction.
(Bringing fingers in to meet thumb can be done discreetly)

I really hope you can find something that works for you :)

New Threads

Top Bottom