• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stimming and concentration

Jayjay05

Hi,
Was diagnosed a few years ago now but still learning about autism. I'm a college student and obviously have a lot of work to do and concentration is required. However I find it really hard to concentrate, if I do on the rare occasion concentrate for more than an hour then I get almost tic like stims where I have have have to move my body. Does anyone else experience this? Or have any tips on how to overcome it?

When I have to concentrate is when my trichotillomania kicks in, so I definitely feel ya... I have yet to find a way to stop. I've tried stim toys, doodling, chewing... I would also appreciate any tips!

Also, welcome!! :) Glad you could join us!

Hello @Jayjay05
Even for NT folk concentrating for more than an hour is difficult. I don't think you have a problem, just a warning system to remind you to take a break. Nothing wrong with that!

You might try experimenting to find study methods that are more comfortable for you than just nose to the grindstone. If any of your course material is in the form of a recorded lecture, try uploading the file to your phone or an mp3 player and listen as you go for a walk ( as an example). Or try keeping a ball handy so you can bounce it as you absorb what you have read. You will probably find you have to change what you are doing from time to time. Just try a few things to see what helps.

I tend to fidget more when I'm concentrating on something I loathe, or that is stressful. I didn't thrive in college and uni. Plus, I wasn't following the path I knew was right for me - so this made it an additional challenge to pay attention.

When I focus on, and do things I love - it soothes me and I find I'm nowhere near as fidgety.

I have a lot of stims and tics. A whole bunch of repeated phrases and words - either from shows, movies - or just completely made up, and in odd accents. Then there's the sitting on the floor for hours and swaying left to right whilst on my PC. Bit like now.

A bit like my most recent one "muto pepis". It's nonsense, although pepis comes frome memes, or "maymays". Muto I thought was made up, but turns out it's Italian for silent, mute or dumb:

Truth be told, if you have been finding the subject a lot of hard work, and if there's other big stressors in life at present - you might be stimming more to soothe all the stress. I stim more when I get flustered - skin rubbing, hand rubbing, messing up my hair with my fingers, pacing up and down, or maybe just good old restless legs go into overdrive.

It is what it is. Wanting to reduce or stop what is a natural act for many with autism might induce further stress, which might actually make you want to stim more.

I'll go back to the usual recommendations - more time in nature. Try and move the sleep schedule to be more of a morning person than a night owl. Stay hydrated, take walks to give you time to think and take a breather from all your adult expectations etc.

Ed

Indeed. Almost to the level of Akathisia . In fact, it IS at the level of Akathisia. Very hard to deal with.

Indeed. Almost to the level of Akathisia . In fact, it IS at the level of Akathisia. Very hard to deal with.
Thanks, I've never heard of this. I have had this in one leg since being treated after an overdose 6 years ago. A quick search shows this info: "Antipsychotic medication, particularly the first generation antipsychotics, are a leading cause. Other causes may include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, metoclopramide, reserpine". Which I was taking. I am now weened off all medication but the leg movement continues all day and sometimes at night. I don't usually notice it's happening, but sometimes my muscles ache from the movement.

Have you tried having a rubberband around your wrist and snapping it when the trichotillomania kicks in? It works for some.
I have not. I remember being told that the rubber band thing is bad because it’s a form of self-harm, or something along those lines… but the trichotillomania is pretty harmful and likely has worse consequences… so I may try out the rubber band thing. Thanks @Forest Cat !! :)

Thanks, I've never heard of this. I have had this in one leg since being treated after an overdose 6 years ago. A quick search shows this info: "Antipsychotic medication, particularly the first generation antipsychotics, are a leading cause. Other causes may include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, metoclopramide, reserpine". Which I was taking. I am now weened off all medication but the leg movement continues all day and sometimes at night. I don't usually notice it's happening, but sometimes my muscles ache from the movement.
That is really terrible and I am SO glad you were able wean off that you were allowed to wean off. Mine was not caused by medications, rather it was from birth. God knows and as they say, He aint tellin'. My mom had some kind of injection when I was in utero, and I was a preemie, so goodness knows. All I know is I could never sit still and to be required to do so hurt and still hurts.

I play intensely with my hair but didn’t realize this was a stim until recently. Usually out of boredom or anxiety.

These stims can be so hard to break.
I have Excoriation disorder.
It is said the sensation releases endorphins is why it is so hard to stop.
I find when I am concentrating or stressed is when this happens.
It hurts so good. :confused:

It hurts so good. :confused:
FOR REAL THOUGH! I will pick at my skin, poke at my bruises and vaccine injection sites, etc. I’m pretty hyposensitive to pain, as well… so I tend to rough myself up more than I expected. And I ALWAYS say, “but it hurts so gooooood!”

I just realized how bad/weird this sounded… but I’m not sure how else to describe it…

FOR REAL THOUGH! I will pick at my skin, poke at my bruises and vaccine injection sites, etc. I’m pretty hyposensitive to pain, as well… so I tend to rough myself up more than I expected. And I ALWAYS say, “but it hurts so gooooood!”

I just realized how bad/weird this sounded… but I’m not sure how else to describe it…

I don't deliberately hurt myself, with one minor exception- things that have been sitting in the sun. Especially coins that have been sitting outside for so long that they're really hot. Or parts of the car on sunny days. Not hot enough to actually harm me, but it's still pretty hot and I love it.

As far as stimming goes, I usually play with something to keep my body occupied, like a plushie. Or I may start to get very squirmy, wiggle, and rock a little.
Oddly, those are mostly new; back in school I might squirm a little, but I'd usually either play with my pencils, twirl them, spin a coin, draw, bounce my leg, chew on a backpack strap... stuff that's not that disruptive.

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with your studies. I have stimming issues with my autism as well that I've had to cope with my whole life, so I really sympathize with you. Since you seem to be okay for up to an hour of studying, which is really amazing, I think you can try lots of different coping mechanisms to help you get through your studying. You can try taking a short 10 minute break every 30-45 minutes of studying. Stand up and do some stretches. If you are not able to do that, because you study in a library, try to take that 10 minutes to just close your eyes and focus on your posture by making yourself sit up straight and just try to calm your mind and focus on being still and breathing. Listen to something around you like the sound of paper turning or focus on another sense like the smell of your cup of tea or coffee, the heat from holding the mug, or play with a stress object. I really like the magnet stress balls you can makes shapes out of. Wear soft and light cotton clothes when studying and try to keep a mild temperature around you. Try to book a private study room at a library or try different locations, even studying outside on good weather days, to find a place where it's easier to concentrate. Try studying with some audio tracks without words. When I need to concentrate on something, I listen to rain, beach waves, soft classical or jazz piano, coffee shop ambience, there's lots of great stuff on YouTube that can help with studying that's good for Autism and stimming too. Good luck with your courses.

New Threads

Top Bottom