• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stim suggestions to get me off the computer

Gift2humanity

V.I.P Member
Currently I am on the computer all day surfing of playing this game Bubble Shooter - Click here to play for free as a kind of stim.
I think I have a bit of ADHD as well, so can't cope with boredom.
I couldn't sit all day with a fidget spinner, what I need is something that will satisfy my need for swimming and also help keep me occupied and off the screen/phone.
Can anyone suggest such an object?
I don't mind treating myself to something.

What about trying a new hobby?

That's what did it for me.
I am good at art, however I have circumstantial stresses that have plunged me into depression. A few years ago I bought art stuff but never used it, it's a great suggestion though.

A dog? To take you for walks.

A puzzle book? I like word searches sometimes.

Colouring pictures?

Lego bricks to build with?

Play scrabble against yourself? Four handed is fun.

A knitting dolly?

Learn basic crochet?

Breed goldfish?

Make cards for Xmas or birthdays?

Learn guitar? Or mouth organ. Etc.

That's it for now...

A dog? To take you for walks.

A puzzle book? I like word searches sometimes.

Colouring pictures?

Lego bricks to build with?

Play scrabble against yourself? Four handed is fun.

A knitting dolly?

Learn basic crochet?

Breed goldfish?

Make cards for Xmas or birthdays?

Learn guitar? Or mouth organ. Etc.

That's it for now...
Hi I like the idea of dogs but I am not allowed to in my accommodation.
I like the idea of puzzle books, might order some.
Colouring pictures would make me cry (I'm a bit odd that way, but thanks for the idea)
Thanks for the other ideas, depression has made me inactive, I sit on my sofa which doubles as a bed.
My Grandfather gave me a mouth organ an heirloom I lost the box, that makes me sad.

Will if a dog is out of the question, about how about a lizard, bird, snake, hamster, rat (s). Cats are fun to play with.

Hobbies:
Write a story, organize a gaming get together with other gamers. Leave your place and get exercise if possible. Learn a new subject just for fun. i started studing bartender and now l am actually working as one by my bosses kindness of helping. Very grateful to make a new career choice at a death's door. lol

I do cross stitching and having just acquired a kitten who is just like an infant; I am fully occupied lol

I also exercise on a daily basis and have my faith, so listen to a lot of spiritual talks.

Way back, when mobile phones were not heard of ( not that long ago, though) lol, I was an avid reader, but sadly, internet has taken over that.

Think about what you liked as a child. I realized I have stopped playing but adults need to play too.
for example I really liked playing with tiny animals making them fly around or walk on furniture. For that i have found imagining them could work sometimes when i get feelings of loneliness in between messages people send, without having to change place.

Season decorations are a great thing to do so you always have something new and exciting. Then I take pics and edit them to make colors different and they look even more gorgeous. Im really good with colors.
IMG_20201019_142027.jpg

Ignore my fork and plate, lol. Or don't. Their green is kinda nice.

Instead of building with lego, because I don't have lego, I can draw lego buildings.

I now have my plants as pretty big responsibilities, but I think I need them to learn to be consistent despite how poorly emotionally im feeling and they are hard work so i get some real satisfaction for my hard work instead what the internet teaches me, that satisfaction should be instant.

My idea: join a group of swimmers and share your ideas, talk about it to people who understand. with covid you're not alone in this limitation.

I have given up acting a play due to shame, I was told im really good at acting. My social issues didn't let me do it despite me liking it. So i had thought of writing a play, acting one, reciting something, eulogy helped me process my feelings of breakup while valuing the person.

Listen to Halloween stories. Tis the season. Feel alive in the current times, I belong to them.

I have never thought of flossing as a fun activity but I can combine utility with pleasure, and self care is important for the confidence.

Bonus:
my rat
IMG_20201018_232020.jpg

IMG_20201026_162303.jpg
IMG_20201019_152155.jpg
IMG_20201021_205858.jpg

Baked apples bathed in mint and maple syrup.
IMG_20201021_005433.jpg
IMG_20201021_010719.jpg
IMG_20201019_132733.jpg
IMG_20201019_113404.jpg

~~~

Attachments

• IMG_20201019_142549.jpg
    IMG_20201019_142549.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Will if a dog is out of the question, about how about a lizard, bird, snake, hamster, rat (s). Cats are fun to play with.

Hobbies:
Write a story, organize a gaming get together with other gamers. Leave your place and get exercise if possible. Learn a new subject just for fun. i started studing bartender and now l am actually working as one by my bosses kindness of helping. Very grateful to make a new career choice at a death's door. lol
I love cats, but now the owners of the building are more accommodating, the windows I have are not safe, I am high up and cats could get out.
I couldn't keep an animal in a cage.
Gamers is a good idea, but its screen time.
I'm housebound, sorry to be so negative.
Thanks for your post, thanks for your thought.

Currently I am on the computer all day surfing of playing this game Bubble Shooter - Click here to play for free as a kind of stim.
I think I have a bit of ADHD as well, so can't cope with boredom.
I couldn't sit all day with a fidget spinner, what I need is something that will satisfy my need for swimming and also help keep me occupied and off the screen/phone.
Can anyone suggest such an object?
I don't mind treating myself to something.
What about a rubix cube? That thing really gets ya fixated on solving it.

That's a good idea, thanks.
I just ordered one from amazon, a sticker-less one with 4 rows instead of three, hope I don't lose it.

If you decide you like that, there's a whole wild world of those things out there.

Examples from my collection:

7lBrERV.jpeg

G8TKFoa.jpeg

n5QWloJ.jpg

NbfDTuQ.jpg

Ydldlnc.jpg

When I went through a nasty series of anxiety attacks, well, the solution I needed turned out to be something very similar to what you're looking for. I needed something that would keep my mind engaged, and having a tactile element... to go along with sensory needs and act as a bit of a stim... was also necessary.

This was one of the hobbies I ended up choosing. It worked out nicely.

And there's tons of resources available to help you learn. It's been an interesting ride for me... I used to think that even the normal 3x3 Rubik's Cube was utterly impossible. Now I think it's too easy. There's a definite progression of skill and knowledge with these things and each individual new puzzle can keep you occupied for quite awhile as you try to work out what in the heck to do.

Difficulty can be deceptive though. That tangled disaster in the 4th photo isnt all that hard. But the two cubes in the 3rd pic, which dont have nearly as many pieces, are hideously difficult.

As this is one of my major interests, if you ever want to know more or want some suggestions for other things to try, feel free to ask.

Good luck. Initial learning curve is pretty tough, but it smooths out alot once you get past the initial hurdle.

New Threads

Top Bottom