• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Still not sure.

Seth R

When I was a child, I never had any friends, when I got a little older, I never wanted any. At school I would do the same thing at recess which was swing, I would just sit and swing and think about what I learned that day and create worlds in my head. I loved the back and forth motion of the swing, the feeling of flying and the comfort it gave me. If someone was swinging right next to me, I would usually get off and sit on the steps of the school or try and distract myself by thinking about the worlds in my head. I wouldn’t have an over reaction if someone was swinging on my swing, but it would deeply annoy me.

At home things would be different all the time, and as a kid I didn’t like different, I liked things to make sense, if there was a smell in the house that wasn’t their before or if the furniture was being changed, I hated it. That being said, I never had a full-on meltdown if these things happened, I would hold the annoyance inside because I was afraid of how my mom or dad would react if I did freak out. Also, I was a picky child, and I’m still picky today. I like plain foods, things that don’t scream flavor in your mouth, and I can’t stand some textures with food. So, I have some questions. Does this sound like an Aspe child to anyone? I have other symptoms that make me wonder. And now with this diagnosis I was hoping that it would be a relief, and it has for some of the time, but there is still that doubt that is eating me away inside.

Sounds like my childhood.
Welcome here.
What's with this "I think?" @Fino ;)

HAHA, this whole thread has unnecessarily presented me with several dilemmas.

"This sounds like it's a first post.
Should I welcome him?
Well, how many posts does he have?
...Four.
Maybe he already introduced himself. And maybe I welcomed there. How awkward would it be if I did it again? And if I said welcome on a not-first post. I don't recognize his name... but I barely recognize my own name...

I think I'll welcome him just in case. But also just in case, I'll make it look unsure so there's room for doubt.
How does that help? I don't know. Maybe it's worse.

Oh, he answered. He said 'thanks'. Maybe I should explain why I said 'I think...' I could tell him all about how I wasn't sure if I should say it, but his gratitude seemed to imply I was right to welcome him.
But is there any need to explain? He doesn't seem to care. Maybe he even knew.
How would he know?
I don't know. How does anyone know anything?
You got me there. Let's not explain.
Okay."

And that's what's with this "I think..."

Are you agreeing that my dilemmas were unnecessary and several (and presented)?

HAHA, this whole thread has unnecessarily presented me with several dilemmas.

"This sounds like it's a first post.
Should I welcome him?
Well, how many posts does he have?
...Four.
Maybe he already introduced himself. And maybe I welcomed there. How awkward would it be if I did it again? And if I said welcome on a not-first post. I don't recognize his name... but I barely recognize my own name...

I think I'll welcome him just in case. But also just in case, I'll make it look unsure so there's room for doubt.
How does that help? I don't know. Maybe it's worse.

Oh, he answered. He said 'thanks'. Maybe I should explain why I said 'I think...' I could tell him all about how I wasn't sure if I should say it, but his gratitude seemed to imply I was right to welcome him.
But is there any need to explain? He doesn't seem to care. Maybe he even knew.
How would he know?
I don't know. How does anyone know anything?
You got me there. Let's not explain.
Okay."

And that's what's with this "I think..."
I was going to ask what the "I think" was all about also, but then I started thinking what if that sounded rude or something. I'm awkward like that so I just don't say anything. So real quick. I have been hyper fixating on this one issue about do I have ASD or not. It is driving me crazy. I realized that I have been doing this my whole life. a few years ago I fixated on my having a none existent brain tumor. Is that common for someone with aspergers to do that? Or is it more of an OCD thing?

I was going to ask what the "I think" was all about also, but then I started thinking what if that sounded rude or something. I'm awkward like that so I just don't say anything. So real quick. I have been hyper fixating on this one issue about do I have ASD or not. It is driving me crazy. I realized that I have been doing this my whole life. a few years ago I fixated on my having a none existent brain tumor. Is that common for someone with aspergers to do that? Or is it more of an OCD thing?

For it to be OCD, it would need the other half. "Obsessive," you describe, and then "Compulsive," involves compulsions to stop temporarily halt the obsession.

It does seem to be the sort of thing common with Aspergers, judging by myself and posts I've seen here, but I can't tell you for sure if that's exactly the cause. Over-thinking is definitely a part of Asperpger's, so if you have a consistent pattern of over-thinking like this, it would make sense to attribute it to that, but if the over-thinking relates only to illnesses, then hypochondria possibly?

I have no experience, through myself or others, of hypochondria so don't take my word for it, but the tumor issue reminds me of it.

For it to be OCD, it would need the other half. "Obsessive," you describe, and then "Compulsive," involves compulsions to stop temporarily halt the obsession.

It does seem to be the sort of thing common with Aspergers, judging by myself and posts I've seen here, but I can't tell you for sure if that's exactly the cause. Over-thinking is definitely a part of Asperpger's, so if you have a consistent pattern of over-thinking like this, it would make sense to attribute it to that, but if the over-thinking relates only to illnesses, then hypochondria possibly?

I have no experience, through myself or others, of hypochondria so don't take my word for it, but the tumor issue reminds me of it.
I know I have at least a little bit of hypochondria. I just can't stop the over-thinking about if I do or don't have Aspergers. I'm driving my mom crazy over it because I talking about it with her.

You were officially diagnosed but still not convinced?

You could just hang around this forum for a while and see how you like it. If you're Autistic, you'll likely relate to a great number of things said. Maybe that would help.

I would just sit and swing and think about what I learned that day and create worlds in my head. I loved the back and forth motion of the swing, the feeling of flying and the comfort it gave me.
Oh my goodness, you did that too? I never met anyone else who did that! This is far more exciting than it probably should be. Hello, fellow swinging world-creator who didn't want to be bothered!

And yes, everything you wrote does sound like an Aspie child to me.

Okay, okay, okay.

Welcome Seth R and Fino!!

(I think...?)

:D

That actually is my first Welcome! I started at this forum by making a long post called something like "repetitive thoughts" and it was like I had always been here, everyone just answered awesomely and we all moved on. :D

Thank you!! :) I'm nervous to be here, but it seems like a friendly place so I'll stick around! ;)

Oh my goodness, you did that too? I never met anyone else who did that! This is far more exciting than it probably should be. Hello, fellow swinging world-creator who didn't want to be bothered!

And yes, everything you wrote does sound like an Aspie child to me.
Hello! I so happy to see that there was another out there that was doing the same thing I was! Tell me, what kind of worlds did you create? I was fortunate to have to focus to write mine into five stories.

Hello! I so happy to see that there was another out there that was doing the same thing I was! Tell me, what kind of worlds did you create? I was fortunate to have to focus to write mine into five stories.
Hmm, how to even describe it. I think I had a variety at first, but by mid-elementary school I had a universe that's never really stopped developing since then. I guess it's sort of a mix between a sci-fi and fantasy world, full of aliens and somewhat scientific but also with plenty of fantasy elements. By this point it has multiple generations and history and social structure and culture and even main characters who could be considered neurodiverse, although none of them are human so not in the same way we are. I've written a little about it but haven't managed to turn it into book form. I seem to have two main problems; first, by the time I tried to write it down it had become so complex that it was hard to figure out where to start, and second, I'm much better at writing exposition than narrative. So I've written plenty about it, but only little snippets of stories. I'm working on improving my narrative skills, though. I wish I could just transfer everything in my head to paper. I'm also rather self-conscious about it, though, because I'm used to not being able to talk about things like that to anyone because my family isn't interested in that kind of thing and neither were any friends I've had. What were your worlds like?

Hmm, how to even describe it. I think I had a variety at first, but by mid-elementary school I had a universe that's never really stopped developing since then. I guess it's sort of a mix between a sci-fi and fantasy world, full of aliens and somewhat scientific but also with plenty of fantasy elements. By this point it has multiple generations and history and social structure and culture and even main characters who could be considered neurodiverse, although none of them are human so not in the same way we are. I've written a little about it but haven't managed to turn it into book form. I seem to have two main problems; first, by the time I tried to write it down it had become so complex that it was hard to figure out where to start, and second, I'm much better at writing exposition than narrative. So I've written plenty about it, but only little snippets of stories. I'm working on improving my narrative skills, though. I wish I could just transfer everything in my head to paper. I'm also rather self-conscious about it, though, because I'm used to not being able to talk about things like that to anyone because my family isn't interested in that kind of thing and neither were any friends I've had. What were your worlds like?
In your stories are their any humans? In mine all of the characters look human although they are from a different world. My main character is an alien but doesn't know it. Spoilers...

New Threads

Top Bottom