• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Starting building me a new Lionel train layout

artfull dodger

While I enjoy my G scale LGB trains outdoors, my one true obsession in model trains is Lionel brand trains. They have been since I was a very young boy. They provided the miniature world that I escaped into when the world was to much to process, espically with the constant bullying thru middle and high school. Then as a coping tool when I had to work for a living, and they still provide this escape. I am going to do some things different with this layout as Lionel trains are loud by nature, espically when running on a table top and not on the soft carpet floor. The table top will be painted gloss white and sprinkled with glitter to help represent fresh snow. I am using ceramic Christmas buildings of various brands that I have collected over the years. The train is a pre WWII Lionel set that I bought this past weekend with my birthday money. Right now the table isnt painted, I was figuring out where I wanted the track to go. Under the track will be a rubber roadbed to help insulate the sound from the wood table top. This should lessen the need for me to wear my ear muffs when running the train. Also in the pic you can see the Lionel PRR Turbine locomotive parked on the side track. I bought that one last fall from an ad on facebook marketplace. Mike
layoutpic.jpg

My husband's family had a complete Pre-WWII full size Lionel train set that belonged to my husband's father. It was never run, just packed away in a trunk, so I'd be interested to see how it all comes together Mike. It seems to me when I actually handled them, that they were quite large and heavy, when I looked at them. I'd be curious to see one actually used. Good luck.

Last edited:
Ouch. Your post reminds me that I gave my very old Lionel train set away to a family friend. Who likely knew its value and sold it on EBay. The damn thing always ran perfectly...all metal. Loved it as a kid, but eventually boxed it up and only took it out of the box to see if it still ran. :oops:

But I still have my N Gauge Aurora Postage Stamp trains, cars and track. And it still works too. That I won't part with. :cool:

Ouch. Your post reminds me that I gave my very old Lionel train set away to a family friend. Who likely knew its value and sold it on EBay. The damn thing always ran perfectly...all metal. Loved it as a kid, but eventually boxed it up and only took it out of the box to see if it still ran. :oops:

But I still have my N Gauge Aurora Postage Stamp trains, cars and track. And it still works too. That I won't part with. :cool:
photos please :relaxed:

I dabbled with model trains as a kid, but no place to put it. What you have is nice.

One day maybe 15 years ago a neighbor was cleaning out their garage and left a big crate of Lionel parts out for free. I picked them up but had no idea what to do with them. So maybe 10 years after that I sold it all for $20 at some antiques show that came to town. No telling the age of any of it.

Yes the engines would be noisy if all the gears were powered up.

While I enjoy my G scale LGB trains outdoors, my one true obsession in model trains is Lionel brand trains. They have been since I was a very young boy. They provided the miniature world that I escaped into when the world was to much to process, espically with the constant bullying thru middle and high school. Then as a coping tool when I had to work for a living, and they still provide this escape. I am going to do some things different with this layout as Lionel trains are loud by nature, espically when running on a table top and not on the soft carpet floor. The table top will be painted gloss white and sprinkled with glitter to help represent fresh snow. I am using ceramic Christmas buildings of various brands that I have collected over the years. The train is a pre WWII Lionel set that I bought this past weekend with my birthday money. Right now the table isnt painted, I was figuring out where I wanted the track to go. Under the track will be a rubber roadbed to help insulate the sound from the wood table top. This should lessen the need for me to wear my ear muffs when running the train. Also in the pic you can see the Lionel PRR Turbine locomotive parked on the side track. I bought that one last fall from an ad on facebook marketplace. Mike
layoutpic.jpg

Wow how creative of you to collect those ceramic Christmas buildings to use for this- sounds like it will look fantastic. We have a friend who has large trains ( O maybe?) and his locomotive has actual steam and has audio of the engineer talking and sounds of the trains as well as being remote controlled. It is really cool. But dang those locomotives are EXPENSIVE!

The prices for older Lionel are not nearly as high was they were a few years ago. Only the mint/boxed stuff really commands the high dollers and also, not nearly as high as they were. If you have old trains, I highly suggest getting them out, getting them serviced and run/enjoy them.

New Threads

Top Bottom