• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Started Making Pendants...

Catherine Read

So my brothers friend has been wanting to start up some sort of business for a while, we're all out of work (redundancy, depression, overwhelmed in workplace environments as we're all autistic, etc) so we were all on board with the idea. Chopping boards was the initial objective but wood isn't cheap. We have access to a lot of the tools we need as we're signed up to Hackspace (essentially a charity workshop full or tools and resources for crafters and builders) but there's been a few hitches in that plan (needed tools breaking down, cost to start up etc).

So instead I thought I'd make a few pendants. They seem to have gone down quite well so that's what we're going to focus on, with some variations planned. The only issue is the limited amount of snake skin I have, they don't shed very regularly so need to think of a solution around that. I don't personally know any other snake owners which is a pity.

These are all my pendants so far, and have 2 chain variations

51807053910_d9a59f811d_z.jpg

51808598714_fa5914797b_z.jpg

Also looking at doing shiny ones we're going to call 'Dragon scale'
51808354223_7525c23558_z.jpg

These pendants have so far been made possible courtesy of Spike...
50112339803_a07a765d96_z.jpg

Even if we don't get anywhere with it I've been enjoying the process. :)

They are truly beautiful. Do you have any that show of the natural beauty of shed snakeskin? I'd love to see one with no color added!

Thanks for shedding all the skins, Spike!

These are brilliant. I wonder if reaching out to a wildlife rescue center would help--Getting different types of shed skin from different species of wild snakes would do wonders for conservation awareness, as a lot of wild snakes are in danger from human activity. And besides they all have the most interesting patterns sometimes even in the scales themselves.

How much would one necklace cost? My daughter loves snakes and would love to have one of these for her birthday next month!

Very creative and clever. Here we have a lot of craft shows....but I can't recall anyone using real snake skins in such a manner. Well done! :cool:

These are brilliant. I wonder if reaching out to a wildlife rescue center would help--Getting different types of shed skin from different species of wild snakes would do wonders for conservation awareness, as a lot of wild snakes are in danger from human activity. And besides they all have the most interesting patterns sometimes even in the scales themselves.

Snakes are pretty uncommon round my area but it's a good idea. I'm hoping to head out to South Africa later this year (volunteer at a nature reserve when I can) so could go searching for shed skins there (found a Rock Python and Boomslang skin out there once lol).

How much would one necklace cost? My daughter loves snakes and would love to have one of these for her birthday next month!

My friends done all the number crunching and costing and has priced them at £7.50 each (or 2 for £12). We're hoping to get an etsy store set up in the near future but wanted to refine the pendants and get a load made up first. I'm sure I could get one ready for you early though if you did want to buy one. :)

I second that idea. I bet talking to a zoo curator would be met in a friendly manner. Plus, for a zoo with a gift shop I bet your pendants are a natural fit.

Lovely! Please let me know when they are available. I want one for my spouse. We were hiking on a date a little while after I met her and I knew she was the woman for me when she did not hesitate to pick up a large Hognose snake. Then, I had to instruct her about the repertoir of playing dead that they use when she thought she injured it..

I second that idea. I bet talking to a zoo curator would be met in a friendly manner. Plus, for a zoo with a gift shop I bet your pendants are a natural fit.

That's definitely a possibility. There's an "Advancing Herpetological Husbandry" conference in March that I was looking to go to. It's being hosted at a zoo so could ask the keepers if they have any shed while I'm there lol.

Lovely! Please let me know when they are available. I want one for my spouse. We were hiking on a date a little while after I met her and I knew she was the woman for me when she did not hesitate to pick up a large Hognose snake. Then, I had to instruct her about the repertoir of playing dead that they use when she thought she injured it..

Oh wow, lovely story. :) I will do!

A unique product and a neat backstory is always a winning combination. I'm sure you'll do well!

You may wish to consider premium options (like silver bezel) and add-ons (cord, chain) since some people appreciate those.

In my experience, Etsy is very US-centric (with significant Canadian, Australian and UK traffic), and so in setting up, I would ensure p+p options and mailing times for deliveries to the US are clear in both your policies and in the listings to avoid misunderstanding or disappointment, especially for those looking for a last-minute gift.

I like snakes also and had a Boa for a pet when I was a teenager.
When he shedded his skin I would help him by giving him a big bowl of water and when
he was done soaking, he would go gently through my hands and the skin peeled off whole.

Rattlesnakes have interesting patterns and can shed easily a whole skin.
Bet you could sell quite a few right here when you get a site up with both UK and US prices
and shipping. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom