• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Started a new part-time job!

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
Hey all!

Today I started a new part-time job, working at an antique shop restoring/repairing antiques. I was super nervous all last night and this morning before I went, but as soon as I got there, I was in the zone. Of course knowing me, I picked the most difficult thing to repair, an old Singer foot-powered sewing machine. I took it all apart in about 10 minutes, taking photos along the way so I could remember how everything went back together. So far, I just replaced the table portion of the machine using an old antique table top.

I think I'm really going to like working at this place. The pay is horrendous, but to me, it hardly even seemed like work. Any pay is good in my book for doing something I enjoy so much. My bosses are also really nice (so far). If things keep going well, I may quit teaching and just work there full-time. I should have took a before photo, but here's what I did take photos of: :)

Wow interesting new job! Hope you continue to enjoy it. Sounds like you are in your element there.

I wish I had machine skills - you could probably advertise privately once you're ready, plenty of collectors might have some work for you.

Hurray! Always such a challenge to find a balance between a job that pays well and a job that involves something that we enjoy :)

And boy were those old metal sewing machines made to last!

Looks like you have this natural ability. Plus a chance of achievement and you saved it from going to the dump.

My wife got one of those old sewing machines for my daughter's partner this Christmas.

The job sounds like a very nice fit. Hopefully the bosses will continue to be nice. If they aren't I might suggest a strategy I have used and seen used. Tell them quick and firm that you don't put up with being treated disrespectfully and will walk if they don't get that straight. Sometimes that is all it takes.

Hey all!

Today I started a new part-time job, working at an antique shop restoring/repairing antiques. I was super nervous all last night and this morning before I went, but as soon as I got there, I was in the zone. Of course knowing me, I picked the most difficult thing to repair, an old Singer foot-powered sewing machine. I took it all apart in about 10 minutes, taking photos along the way so I could remember how everything went back together. So far, I just replaced the table portion of the machine using an old antique table top.

I think I'm really going to like working at this place. The pay is horrendous, but to me, it hardly even seemed like work. Any pay is good in my book for doing something I enjoy so much. My bosses are also really nice (so far). If things keep going well, I may quit teaching and just work there full-time. I should have took a before photo, but here's what I did take photos of: :)

What a neat job! I always looked up to people who restored antiques. I love old things, and I wish I had that kind of skill.

Growing up on a ranch, we had many very old heirlooms. My grandma had a treadle sewing machine (that we used as a telephone table), and also a working spinning wheel, which I was terrified of because of sleeping beauty (lol).

New Threads

Top Bottom