• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Star Wars episode 9 split into 2 good or bad?

Adora

There are rumours circulating that episode 9 may be split into 2 movies because of how big the story will be and one movie may not be enough to complete the saga,I will admit I didn’t enjoy The Last Jedi but from what I have heard is Disney is cramming a lot of stuff in episode 9 and doing quantity over quality but what do you think? Should Episode 9 be split into 2 or just stick to the trilogy.

When I saw split in two I thought "oh brother". But then again they split the last Harry Potter movie in two. I guess since it's supposed to be the climax of the saga it would be okay. But I'm not really in favor of it.

Last edited:
i've lost interest in star wars, what used to be great sci fi, has turned into a blatant vehicle for the PC brigade

i'm pro diversity, and i believe that older franchises should evolve with the times, but i just wish it would be done in way that the sci fi aspect would remain the central theme and not the social commentary

personally i'm not looking to be socially educated in this kind of movie, just 'pew pew' and a lot of cool cgi with a dynamic story where the good guy/gal wins to tie it all together

"split into 2 movies because of how big the story will be" << more like split into 2 movies because the story is just big enough for them to bloat it beyond all recognition and get twice the $$$ for it.

i'm pro diversity, and i believe that older franchises should evolve with the times, but i just wish it would be done in way that the sci fi aspect would remain the central theme and not the social commentary
How is sci-fi not the central theme? I didn't particularly love the latest films but there was certainly plenty of sci-fi and pew pew going on. And so much cgi that they forgot to actually put some effort into the plot instead of just the pretty explosions... but yeah, I failed to spot the pc brigade, unless you count having a somewhat (not very) ethnically diverse cast at 'pc'.

How is sci-fi not the central theme? I didn't particularly love the latest films but there was certainly plenty of sci-fi and pew pew going on. And so much cgi that they forgot to actually put some effort into the plot instead of just the pretty explosions... but yeah, I failed to spot the pc brigade, unless you count having a somewhat (not very) ethnically diverse cast at 'pc'.

maybe read the entire posting before you jump on your horse:

"i'm pro diversity, and i believe that older franchises should evolve with the times"

i am entitled to my opinion as are you

maybe read the entire posting before you jump on your horse:

"i'm pro diversity, and i believe that older franchises should evolve with the times"

i am entitled to my opinion as are you
I wasn't jumping on any horse, I was asking for you to explain something which I had not noticed in the films, no need to get your nickers in a twist.

Edit: to be clear, I was asking out of INTEREST in your opinion, not in an attempt to attack it.

Last edited:
I wasn't jumping on any horse, I was asking for you to explain something which I had not noticed in the films, no need to get your nickers in a twist.

Edit: to be clear, I was asking out of INTEREST in your opinion, not in an attempt to attack it.

you implied i was taking issue with the ethnically diverse cast, which i do not
i think it is important that the casts and roles are diverse
i sometimes just get the impression that movies may be overcompensating for
what was clearly wrong and biased in the past, and for me that distracts from the underlying story
but again, it's just my impression, no offence was meant

I wasn't trying to imply anything, merely highlighting the only facet of the films I could possibly consider pc, in the hopes that you would then elaborate on your view. No offence was taken, I was just trying to have a conversation on a subject I find interesting.

I have heard other people say that they felt that the latest films where pushing a pc agenda, but never has anyone actually explained why they felt that, or given concrete examples of what gave that impression. The original Star Wars trilogy was actually quite progressive for it's time, with a black main sort of main character (Lando),and a female lead character who actually got stuff done.

It should have been a trilogy and stayed that way.
I mean if it was announced at the beginning like before episode 7 or just when episode 7 got released why not.

But 9 months after episode 8 , it's clearly because of episode 8 and not because they planned it before...

I will sound pretencious but after I saw episode 8 I thought that they would have to make 2 movies to complete this arc. But in my mind its not because episode 9 will have 2 movies, its because the last jedi shouldnt be considered a SW movie and should be pushed away, the next film would then be the real episode 8.

You can have differents reason for that, I dont know why they would do that but I have few ideas.

They want a movie each year, but solo was a disaster , so maybe they want to reduce their investments on SW in order to still make some money.
Maybe they think that if they shoot 2 movies in the time they would have shoot 1 well with a reduced production cost and 2 theater and home releases they would still make money with it.
They are afraid that episode 9 will be a flop because of episode 8 therefore they want to use episode 9 part 1 in order to reassure the fan that felt betrayed by episode 8 ?

Episode 9 part 1 would have mediocre results but if the movie is good more people may come and see episode 9 part 2?

On a more cinematographic point of view , episode 8 was a disaster because nothing happened but at the same time they burned every story the trilogy had, for no reason, episode 8 played like a conclusion ( a bad one) ,but without any belivable nor interesting character progression in between and it felt like a joke/ parody.

In my opinion episode 9 part 1 would be the real episode 8 or "fixing episode 8" and the episode 9 part II would then be the real episode 9.

Meh, the Star Wars geeks will still flood the Internet complaining about it like they did last year when Last Jedi came out, they complained about everything from the Porgs to Luke dying.

My only complaint was that Luke hadn't trained a porg to be a jedi.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I never really liked Star Wars, and would not classify it as actual sci fi, and am a heavy book reader.

Great, if they don't mess it up like The Hobbit, especially the third movie, the movie has a chance to fit in more (imo essential) "details" that go beyond an oversimplification of the action of the story. My hopes are pretty low.

As an example Hunger Games also did that ignoring the other listed examples.

I agree with @OlLiE . Since Disney bought it out, it's meaningless. They throw in a few scenes or phrases to try to tie it back to the original, but it's lost. And other scenes just go nowhere. And still other scenes with the potential for deep emotional thought or existential opportunity just fall flat.

It makes me wonder what Disney would have done to mangle Episode IV, V, VI. Thank God they didn't have their greedy digits on the series then or it never would have become the beloved story for multi generations.

I agree with @OlLiE . Since Disney bought it out, it's meaningless. They throw in a few scenes or phrases to try to tie it back to the original, but it's lost. And other scenes just go nowhere. And still other scenes with the potential for deep emotional thought or existential opportunity just fall flat.

It makes me wonder what Disney would have done to mangle Episode IV, V, VI. Thank God they didn't have their greedy digits on the series then or it never would have become the beloved story for multi generations.

Ugh, more butt hurt Star Wars geeks who hate Disney, smh, Disney bought Lucasfilm, it happened, Luke died in TLJ, Han Solo died in Force Awakens, they all happened, get over it.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I never really liked star wars, and would not classify it as actual sci fi.

I thought I was the only person who felt this way. Good science fiction lays out the ground rules of their universe, then has the characters work the implications of those rules. Weak sci fi may attempt to explain the science with vague hand-waving because they want to get on with the story. Star Wars doesn't even do that. Jedi can do anything the writer wants them to do, because the Force! Every episode reveals new powers. Want robots, clones, and space travel? Sure, you got it - never mind why or how.

So, I enjoy the action and human elements of Star Wars. I've seen almost all the movies so far, and I'll see the others. But in my mind, Star Wars is a fantasy universe.

Also, I think I just realized I'm a Sci Fi snob. :eek: I'll add it to my ever-increasing list of issues to work on.

On a similar note, what I liked so much about the film "Arrival" was a very basic premise which made the movie quite profound. That it was difficult to understand it all because most everything the aliens conveyed were in their terms rather than in that of the earthlings. Duh!

No traditional premise of good or evil along the lines of humans. In fact the humans couldn't initially even understand what the aliens' message really was. As it should be.

A far cry from the premise of Star Wars, which despite being in a galaxy far, far away a very long time ago they still managed to come off as being very down-to-earth in moral terms of good and evil.

The special effects, technology and characters of Star Wars are fun, but their basic message relative to science fiction itself is like watching paint dry.

Last edited:
Yes, I would define Star Wars as a space fantasy than as SF. There's just too much going on there that IMHO it no longer meets the definition of SF.

The spectrum of SF-fantasy it just that: a spectrum. On one end you have Hard SF, which is highly based (or adheres to) real-world science. It may have one or two "implausable" elements (like FTL). Further along you have Space Opera, which has a lot more implausible elements. Then Fantasy which is chocked full of them. It is a current literary construct, however, that Fantasy is most associated with swords & sorcery. Star Wars is the same, except trades in the swords for lightsabers, the sorcery for The Force, and dragons for X-wings.

One other element of SF is Soft SF, which often focuses on social sciences. So I do not agree with the idea that social commentary isn't a part of the SF genre. It very much is.

Yes, I am very much an SF snob, haha!

As to the OP's statement, if they split ep9 into 2 parts, that would completely ruin the symmetry of the movie series! And throw off the naming. Will there be an ep10 now? Or Ep9 parts 1 & 2? Yes that annoys me when stuff like that happens. It's like reading a book trilogy, getting the first 2 in hardback, but only having the last book in paperback. Drives me to distraction...

Yes, I would define Star Wars as a space fantasy than as SF. There's just too much going on there that IMHO it no longer meets the definition of SF.

Perhaps even closer to a comic book superhero genre that just happens to be in outer space. After all, think of the number of superheroes who routinely traverse the galaxy. Enforcing laws as well as nebulous values of good versus evil.

I would personally lump superhero genre stuff in with fantasy as well, in my own headcanon...

New Threads

Top Bottom