• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Star Wars 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Spoiler Alert!

What were your thoughts on the film?

I will just leave one. This is my idea of happily ever after:

tumblr_ppww25Fwdf1spqa83o1_500.jpg

Are you team Finnrey, team Reypoe, or team Reylo?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's great. But it was very good. I would give it a 4 out of 5 rating. I would've gave it a 5 if it wasn't for how bad episode 8 was.

There are some good moments in the film; the effects and music are good, the acting was decent, Rey had some moments that made her more human/less Mary Sue and there were some scenes that did make me smile.
However, the film itself felt very messy and rushed, with a good few plot threads that had potential but seemed to end much too quickly, the film having JJ Abram's "copy-paste-modify from other movies" treatment in it, the cheapening of the original trilogy's ending with the return of Palpatine and just some scenes - such as the ending fight and the ending in general among others - that just really wound me up as a fan.

All in all, I would say that this is the best film of the Disney Sequel Trilogy. However, for me personally and based on my own views of the previous two films, it's not saying much.
I would much rather have seen George Lucas' plans for the sequels - which you can read about here: Everything George Lucas has said about his theoretical Star Wars sequel trilogy
(The ideas may not all have been well-received by all fans as few things are, but it would have been and felt new rather than feeling like we were walking across already trodden ground).

Failing that, I'd just regard the Sequel Trilogy as expensive fanfiction and stick to the Expanded Universe - give me Jaina and Jacen Solo over Rey and Kylo any day.

Last edited:
I'm a casual yet passionate fan of star wars, its part of my childhood. Watched many movies and played a lot of video games /toys...

And I hated the last jedi so much, It made me loose all interest in the new trilogy.
I have boycotted SOLO, but a friend of mine wanted to see episode 9.

We went to see the movie, but beforehand I spoiled myself, reading the leaked plot of the movie because realy I didnt want to suffer with story elements that would hurt my brain during the movie, I processed the worst part of the scenario before watching it.
And I totally understand why many fans consider this movie to be garbage.

Going in the theater I had absolutly no expectation, willing to accept every controversial decision.

And I realy enjoyed it, I think JJ Abrams refused to follow what R Johnson ( who also refused to set up what abrams wanted in episode 8) did,and proove that his vision for the trilogy was better than Johnson's.

And in my opinion he was right, as the finale of the skywalker saga( who finished in episode 6 imo) and as the end of the new trilogy itself, it make no sence because of many inconsistencies.

But as a course correction movie, I was realy realy satisfied, this movie is litteraly a lesson given to RJ , and a apology for people who hated episode 8.

Its a realy packed, dense , rushed, movie but you can see all the things abrams wanted to do in the trilogy and they make sence.

I think he wanted to involve palatine in some way since the beginning, because the word ORDER, comes a lot in the sequel trilogy( like it was part of a sequence of orders, including order 66), and the first order might be some backup plan palpatine had since the prequel, and the final order was his come back , I buy that.

I also like how they managed to bring back palpatine , he actually died in episode 6, he is just a rotten corpse artificially animated by a weird technologie and the spirits of the sith.
This is the kind of things that could have been well done in the 3 episodes. I wouldnt mind if snoke came back neither, they did this instead, Abrams wanted to stick to his plan, and I understand him.

I loved how the few things palpatine do are just exactly what he does in the prequel (manipulating, and this time his infinite power is actually infinite ! so cool to watch!)

Kylo is realy strong in this movie, Rey actually trains, Finn is force sensitive again ( not seing Finn become a jedi will still be a disappointement, but it was too much to put that in one episode), a lot of good things were in this movie.

But also a lot of bad things, the progression of the plot relies on stupid things sometimes ( like the sith dagger showing the spot, you have to think that all of this was a prophecy to buy it, but, realy it feels bad)
And the movie has to go very fast, so if one plot point turn you off, you can be easely out of the movie.

I liked the new characters introduced, here again, it was too short , but they were used to fleshed out the other side characters and the unniverse of the sequel, so it was realy great.

IMO this movie deserved a better ending scene ( that was objectivly garbage, but I understand why Rey call herself Skywalker, like Skywalker as a replacement for the word jedi) and another 20/30 min of runtime, I dont understand why this is so short, maybe because they want to bring kids and parents I guess.
The kiss was too much aswell, they should have done the same as they did in rogue one, but I buy it in some way, what they did together was pretty intense.

And this movie correct episode 8 in many ways, adressing luke decisions and giving them more sence, also the movie take a shot at all the bad things RJ did in episode 8 ( politics, and how to do that properly in SW).

I had a kid sitting near me with his parents ( he had restless leg syndrome) and he had a blast during the movie, that was cool xD

I think this movie was specifically made for episode 8 haters and I was realy satisfied, I will watch it again with other people 100%.

I enjoyed it way more than end game. But realy you cant enjoy it if you dont let go off what you think this trilogy should/could have been.

Out of all the disney star wars movie, rogue one and episode 9 are the only two I want to rewatch, but at least episode 9 gave me some hope for the franchise, I think there is still something special about SW.

I felt ill after watching episode 7 and they built an even bigger Death Star with exactly the same weakness as the previous 2, except that one sucks a sun dry in order to "charge". Which of course, makes the charging process a far more destructive weapon that actually firing the thing.. Who cares if you blow up the planets after you've destroyed the sun?
I haven't been able to watch a Star Wars movie since.. So sad..

I felt ill after watching episode 7 and they built an even bigger Death Star with exactly the same weakness as the previous 2, except that one sucks a sun dry in order to "charge". Which of course, makes the charging process a far more destructive weapon that actually firing the thing.. Who cares if you blow up the planets after you've destroyed the sun?

I understand, this trilogy make no sense. I gave up on making any sense out of it.

I hated the last episode also, but did enjoy this one overall.

I'm surprised that there aren't more Star Wars Geeks tearing this up.

The first battle scene featuring Kylo Ren is on Mustafar! XD

They battle inside the death star.

I mean it's an incredible movie.

If Anakin was supposed to be the chosen one who brings balance to the force, then what's the point of Rey and the three sequels? Why did they bring Palpatine back?

I didn’t like the previous episode and have read spoilers for TROS but will still give this movie a chance. From what I have heard is that those who didn’t like TLJ end up liking this movie and those who like TLJ hate this movie. Regardless if it is a good movie the trilogy wasn’t planned very well and it shows that Disney was only going by movie by movie and did not plan for the entire trilogy.

Last edited:
If Anakin was supposed to be the chosen one who brings balance to the force, then what's the point of Rey and the three sequels? Why did they bring Palpatine back?

From what I've read, it was pretty much Rian Johnson been given free reign to do what he wanted on The Last Jedi and, since he decided he didn't want to follow on from what JJ Abrams had set up, essentially gave JJ the middle finger by offing Snoke.
As such, for Rise of Skywalker they needed a new and powerful villain and - while Kathleen has claimed that Palpatine was always going to be brought back - Colin Trevorrow has stated that Palpatine was never on the cards to be brought back in his plans for Episode 9.

As such, JJ's version of Rise of Skywalker had to undo the damage done by The Last Jedi (the major reason fans of that film hate this one as JJ essentially returned the middle finger insult to Rian), have a new main villain to replace Snoke (for which JJ brought back Palpatine, which isn't that hard to imagine as the Star Wars comics did have Palpatine come back through clones), bring in Leia using what footage they had following the sad passing of Carrie Fisher and ultimately wrap up a 9-episode saga in a way that "everyone" would like.
All in all, not an easy task to complete. I personally would have done a "Deathly Hallows" and split the final chapter into two films as that would have given more leeway, but then I'm not a filmmaker or in charge of how these films are made.

Furthermore, as you've pointed out, bringing back Palpatine cheapens the ending on the original trilogy as it makes the events that the Skywalkers, their mentors and their allies went through pretty pointless - especially as Anakin has that whole prophecy about him been the one to bring balance to the force while in this new trilogy it's Rey who brings about Palpatine's final end - a character who's not even a member of the Skywalker family.

Last edited:

Lucas film and Disney are not handling SW very well, we can't deny that, but IMO Palpatine was supposed to play a role in some way, maybe not as the main antagonist of the trilogy, but still with some influence on the story.
Force ghost interract with people they cared about, and Sith ghost are tied to dark relics , I guess palpatine would be brought back this way. Not as the main bad guy.

Rey 's lineage was supposed to be related to a sith in some way(palpatine is a fan theory since sw7), and maybe darth plagueis was also involved, RJ said he didnt care about snoke backstory and didnt want to do a scene where he exposes that he is darth plagueis...

In my opinion they had a very very vague roadmap of the trilogy, but then it may have been a backstage problem ( crediting someone for the story he wrote, or even writting the scenes that involve specific plot points etc)
I mean it's one thing to know that Rey is palpatine grand daughter, it's another to write the specific scene making this work. And this is what RJ didnt want to do, the very first bad idea was to involve numerous directors in the same trilogy. We can't realy blame RJ the fact that he didnt want to follow JJ's plan, we can criticize the specigic things he did in the movie ( luke being the big problem , and also the pacing)

I mean this reminds me of twilight in a weird way, the first one was ok and then they changed the people involved in the making of the movie and it was realy bad.

I didn’t like the previous episode and have read spoilers for TROS but will still give this movie a chance. From what I have heard is that those who didn’t like TLJ end up liking this movie and those who like TLJ hate this movie

This sums it up pretty well, but it's not just about not liking TLJ and then liking this movie, I realy appreciated most of the thing that tried to "correct" TLJ, but at the same time, I had to read the spoilers and accept the fact that this trilogy was pure garbage story wise.

It's still better than end game(who liked this movie anyway stop lying lol) if you go in this movie with this mind set, you may have a good time.
Out of the 3 movie it's the only one I want to rewatch, SW7 was on tv a few days ago, and realy it was so bad , JJ started the trilogy in a realy bad way , at least he had to fix what he started with his own vision and episode 9 is nice to look at multiple times.

The fact that Anakin brought balance to the force is still stated in the movie lol.

Again, story wise nothing can be saved from this trilogy, if you want to take some sence out of it, is that somehow palpatine had a back up plan all along called "the first order" , and after the plan is complete , he releases his "final order" to take over the galaxy lol.
You can just ignore that, the original trilogy and it's story is over in episode 6.

To give a bit more meaning to the story, they could have tried to make the first order allied with the good guys to destroy palpatine, but they didnt, it's pointless.

It's like, they try to show that episode 6 was still meaningfull, yet they still reused the same villain.
I just liked how he looked in the movie, it made no sence but I get the idea.

RJ said he didnt care about snoke backstory and didnt want to do a scene where he exposes that he is darth plagueis.

To Rian I would say "tough, that's the plan that's been laid out". Heck, it might not have needed to be Darth Plagueis who Snoke turned out to be - what about if Snoke was the possessed form of Exar Kun?
Exar Kun was a famous Sith Lord who was trapped in spirit form on Yavin 4 after trying to undergo a ritual that would free his spirit from his mortal form so he could wreak havoc through the cosmos. He did make a reappearance after the events of Return of the Jedi, where Luke tries to establish a Jedi Academy on Yavin 4 but accidentally awakens Exar Kun's spirit - who nearly kills Luke before Luke and the Jedi reseal Exar Kun away. He's also notable for being one of the most dangerous lightsaber duelists and for using a double-bladed lightsaber; Exar Kun's weapon been noted by Darth Plagueis when Sidious revealed Darth Maul's saberstaff.

In this trilogy, you could say that Exar Kun's trapped spirit was accidentally freed from Yavin 4 and possessed body after body until it found a suitable force-sensitive body to use in order to return; picking up the pieces from the Galactic Empire to form the First Order while seeking to destroy Luke Skywalker and the remaining Jedi.

I had always heard in Star Wars cannon that the emperor was already centuries old, and that he was actually the sith lord Darth Plageus.

When I heard that Papatine was back, I was imagining him having faked his own death. I had always had the theory that maybe in ROTJ he created a fake explosion with sith lightning, and then force ran like Obi Wan and Qui-gon do (Wiley Coyote and Roadrunner style) in TFM.

But in this movie, they discard that backstory. Now, it turns out he had nearly died and was now on intergalactic life support.

Perhaps the way he escaped is that when Death Star 2 crashed onto Kef Bir, he found a surviving tie fighter and flew it, injured to Exegol, or maybe he was too injured and one of his surviving minions flew him there. It is plausible, seeing that this is exactly how Kylo Ren gets off the wreckage in TROS.

Also in this movie, it was clear that he really liked Kool Aid, as it was stained all over his mouth.

Another thing....

In the opening scene, Kylo Ren is on Mustafar, fighting and killing people to try to get the wayfinder. So why is it that he even has to fight them to get it? Wouldn't the cult of Vader just give it to Kylo, as his heir?

…. unless, Palpatine had already contacted them and told them to kill him at all costs.

And Rey, why is she willing to kill her grandfather to save her friends? He has already stated that he will posess her body when that happens. So obviously at that instant, she won't care about any friends she ever had. Foolish girl.

Although she does end up making the right choice, and force passes Anakin/Luke's light saber to Kylo Ren to fight the knights of Ren in the most exciting fight of the movie. Wow I wish he had been a good guy for longer. I like him better that way. So full of fire and life.

And foolish Disney!!! In this movie all of Skywalker's descendants die, and the Palpatine family lives on. Did anyone else think of that?

… Unless of course, like the internet rumor says, when Kylo Ren passes his entire life force into her (belly) he creates a child inside of her. Her tummy is sticking out ever so slightly in the end scene on Tatooine. But that might have just been my wishful thinking.

One last question, Why did Qui-Gon's body have to be burned, and yet Kylo Ren disappeared?

Last edited:
And foolish Disney!!! In this movie all of Skywalker's descendants die, and the Palpatine family lives on. Did anyone else think of that?

Yep. Ironic that the end of the "Skywalker" Saga literally meant the death of the entire Skywalker family line while the granddaughter of their enemy not only takes their lightsabers but also their family name.

I didn’t like the previous episode and have read spoilers for TROS but will still give this movie a chance. From what I have heard is that those who didn’t like TLJ end up liking this movie and those who like TLJ hate this movie. Regardless if it is a good movie the trilogy wasn’t planned very well and it’s shows that Disney was only going by movie by movie and did not plan for the entire trilogy.

DEFINITELY watch this movie, it's so good! I know I nit pick it a lot, but that's because I love Star Wars so much and I guess it's sort of like Grandma fixing your collar before you go out. I want everything to be "just so".

This movie plays a lot like an opera, and has an ending nearly as tragic as Madame Butterfly. It's beautiful.

New Threads

Top Bottom