• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Star Trek Discovery - Exclusive to Netflix

CBS ran it on their mainstream network last night as a "teaser". :rolleyes:

Too much special effects without sufficient character development IMO. Too many scenes that seemed visually overwhelming at times. But I suppose they're just pandering to what most of the kids want these days. I realize I'm not in their demographic and haven't been in decades. Though it all reminded of why I find the original series and "Enterprise" so endearing to this very day.

So unless CBS chooses to run such programming in their mainstream network, I have no intention of paying to watch it. Especially having had a 23% increase in basic expanded cable tv, a 14% increase in rent, and an unknown increase in water/sewer utilities costs coming up. And having to buy a new car. With no increase in income.

Sorry CB$....no dice.

Though crunching the numbers makes considering buying the entire series of "Enterprise" on DVD something to consider instead. ;)

Last edited:
CBS ran it on their mainstream network last night as a "teaser". :rolleyes:

Too much special effects without sufficient character development IMO. Too many scenes that seemed visually overwhelming at times. But I suppose they're just pandering to what most of the kids want these days. I realize I'm not in their demographic and haven't been in decades. Though it all reminded of why I find the original series and "Enterprise" so endearing to this very day.

So unless CBS chooses to run such programming in their mainstream network, I have no intention of paying to watch it. Especially having had a 23% increase in basic expanded cable tv, a 14% increase in rent, and an unknown increase in water/sewer utilities costs coming up. And having to buy a new car. With no increase in income.

Sorry CB$....no dice.

Though crunching the numbers makes considering buying the entire series of "Enterprise" on DVD something to consider instead. ;)

Yeah but even the most hardcore "Trekkies" have been saying for years that Enterprise was crap, and that ending of the last series, seriously?!

As for this? Meh, is it worth £9 a month for Netflix purely for Star Trek? It was good, but worth £9 a month after my 30 day trial runs out? Debatable

Yeah but even the most hardcore "Trekkies" have been saying for years that Enterprise was crap, and that ending of the last series, seriously?!

I have no interest in what others think over such matters. Seriously. :p

I loathe hive mentalities and lemmings in general. Which shouldn't surprise much of anyone in this audience. ;)

i don't care who plays what role as long as the dynamic between the roles and the actors works
i believe in the right actor in the right role, irrespective of their 'identity',
i just don't like it when the casting of roles feel contrived to make a statement,
i watch these shows to enjoy them, not to be educated in equal opportunities

i've been watching it and it seems ok though,

however: make a typologie of:
- casting choices of senior and junior officers
- choice of which actors primarily get most camera time and drive the content
and draw your own conclusions :)

i don't care who plays what role as long as the dynamic between the roles and the actors works
i believe in the right actor in the right role, irrespective of their 'identity',
i just don't like it when the casting of roles feel contrived to make a statement,
i watch these shows to enjoy them, not to be educated in equal opportunities

Points taken. Frankly I'd think anything in the future would be more interesting and entertaining if writers digressed or at least restrained themselves from the social politics of the present.

It may be presumptuous to assume human social politics would progress or evolve in a linear fashion...especially in the event of some global cataclysm that occurs between now and then. After all, the Dark Ages are fact- not fiction.

Though knowing the politics of the Hollywood establishment I'm certain they'd fire back a response citing that even the original series was laced with then current social and political comments. And that they would probably claim to deliberately remain with such a train of thought for sentimental reasons, rather than admit a rather obvious political agenda that hasn't ever really changed.

Last edited:
I watched the two new episodes of Discovery and liked it a lot. I didn't think it was great but it was a nice start to the series. I love Sonequa Martin-Green and I'd like to wait and see where the shows goes. But I won't pay for CBS' lame All Access subscription service.

Apparently, CBS decided to cash in on the Star Trek fanbase and limited Discovery to only streaming on their online service, which costs $6 a month and has ads during episodes despite the service fee. I mean, COME ON! What were you thinking CBS?! I love Star Trek but I'm not paying for Discovery. Nope, sorry.

Also, Discovery is only on Netflix internationally. If you're in the U.S. then it's a no go. It will only be on CBS' paid service. I seriously think CBS is making a huge mistake with not airing this on regular TV in addition to Netflix. They are greatly limiting their audience just to squeeze more cash out of people. It's just sad.

Apparently, CBS decided to cash in on the Star Trek fanbase and limited Discovery to only streaming on their online service, which costs $6 a month and has ads during episodes despite the service fee. I mean, COME ON! What were you thinking CBS?! I love Star Trek but I'm not paying for Discovery. Nope, sorry.

Also, Discovery is only on Netflix internationally. If you're in the U.S. then it's a no go. It will only be on CBS' paid service. I seriously think CBS is making a huge mistake with not airing this on regular TV in addition to Netflix. They are greatly limiting their audience just to squeeze more cash out of people. It's just sad.

Sad- indeed. I'm actually hoping to see this venture fail, financially speaking. But where the failure is in corporate thinking rather than artistic license. Enough not to abandon such premium titles, but simply reassign them into their existing network programming where they belong and possibly thrive in the right timeslot. Though I can see corporate entities like Viacom willing to hedge their bets if the Internet someday overtakes network television.

Hopefully not. But then there was a time when we all watched tv with rabbit ears- at no charge at all. Yet it seems only yesterday when all software came at a cost as well. Truly hard to say presently where business trends will go in the future.

I'll always be a fan of programming like Star Trek or "The Good Wife". But not enough to have to pay separately for any of them. I can understand them all trying like hell to squeeze every bit of disposable income and what they don't actually have from young people. Lord knows the telecommunications industry has been practicing this form of predatory business behavior for some time.

It all reminds me of yet another film title, "A Bridge Too Far". Enough is enough, IMO. Even if it's Star Trek. ;)

Last edited:
I watched the two new episodes of Discovery and liked it a lot. I didn't think it was great but it was a nice start to the series. I love Sonequa Martin-Green and I'd like to wait and see where the shows goes. But I won't pay for CBS' lame All Access subscription service.

Indeed, I'm already paying £8 a month for Amazon Prime for the 1 day deliveries and Amazon Video and music, I can't justify another £9 a month just for Star Trek Discovery, well there's a few other bits on Netflix that I'd watch, but I've kind of got a lot of the good stuff on DVD.

Indeed, I'm already paying £8 a month for Amazon Prime for the 1 day deliveries and Amazon Video and music, I can't justify another £9 a month just for Star Trek Discovery, well there's a few other bits on Netflix that I'd watch, but I've kind of got a lot of the good stuff on DVD.

At least there's a lot of other programming on Netflix itself, aside from Star Trek for you to weigh as whether or not it's truly worth the cost.

I can't honestly diss Netflix in general, though it's CBS I have "a bone to pick" since they are a traditional network programmer trying to horn in on a new market they want a share of. They'd likely do well putting these shows in their mainstream lineup rather than depending on a market that pays top dollar for single programs alone.

I've had CBS at no specific cost my entire life. Why would I suddenly want to pay for CBS All Access just for two tv shows I might like? A poor value. LOL. This television- not a "personal brand of heroin". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have no interest in what others think over such matters. Seriously. :p

I loathe hive mentalities and lemmings in general. Which shouldn't surprise much of anyone in this audience. ;)

Well Judge you sure know how to get a point across... That video wasn't quite what I expected but certainly dead on.

Can't wait! I'm going to let it run for a bit then watch the entire series. TNG and DS9 are still my all time favourite series.

When does the next series start? I just checked my Netflix account and there's no new episodes?

New Threads

Top Bottom