• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Specs of computers you built

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, what are some of the specs of computers that you have built?

My desktop:
  • CPU - Intel Core i5-8600K
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX
  • Graphics Card - MSI AMD Radeon RX 590 OC
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
  • PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 80+ Platinum
  • HDD - Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB (will be swapped out for an M.2 NVMe SSD next year)
  • Case - Rosewill Bradley-M Mid-Tower
  • Optical Drive - LG WH16NS40 BD-R Drive
My grandfather's desktop:
  • CPU - AMD A6-7400K APU
  • Motherboard - MSI AMD A68HM Grenade mATX
  • RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB
  • PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 80+ Gold 700W
  • HDD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
  • Case - Rosewill RANGER-M Mini-Tower
  • Sound Card - ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E
  • Optical Drive - LG GH24NSC0B DVD+/-RW Drive

• CPU - i7 6700K
  • Motherboard - ASUS Z170-K
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000Mhz DDR4
  • GPU - GeForce 1080GTX
  • PSU - BeQuiet! 700W
  • SSD - Corsair 500GB
  • Case - Corsair Carbide

I'm planning my next build, but I'm waiting for Ampere to release and the AMD 4000 CPU series. I'm attempting to double the spec of my current build where possible. 8 core processor, 32 GB of RAM at 4000+ Mhz, go back to using an M.2 but the latest gen and ideally a 2TB one, as for the GPU - I'll have to check on pricing as I know the 3090 GTX has been leaked at possibly being around $1400. Normally I budget around £3000 for a PC build, but this next one may well cost over £4500.

I want to get away from using my 4k TV for a monitor, it's nice enough, but I miss using a G-sync monitor. I've always spent a silly amount on monitors, the last one I had was the most I've spent on one, 49" ultra wide:

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm going back to 16:9 next time though. Whilst ultra wide is nice for multi-tasking, I want every game, menu and cut scene to be fully compatible.

Ed

My current build:
  • CPU - Intel Core i5-7600K
  • Mobo - Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming5
  • GPU - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070Ti
  • RAM - Patriot 2x8GB DDR4 2400Mhz
  • PSU - Corsair 650W
  • Storage
    • 250GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO (OS)
    • 1TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO (Steam)
    • 1TB Western Digital Black HDD (misc. drive)
  • Case - Corsair Carbide Clear 400c
A tip for builders: invest in an SSD or two. Expensive, yes, but you won't regret it. The boot up time on this machine is ridiculous and I managed to swap my Steam only drive (I cloned it beforehand from the HDD it was on) over to this build without any problems. Had to verify all the games again, but to my surprise it worked!

I wonder what the results would be with an M.2 given the higher bandwidth. Might be considering one of those puppies in the future.

Last edited:
My PC I built in December:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2600
RAM - 16GB 3200Mhz
GPU - GTX 1660 Super
Motherboard - MSI B450m Gaming Plus
PSU - Corsair RMx (2018) 550 Watt
Storage - 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD, 240 WD Green SSD for Boot, 2TB WD MyPassport for additional storage (WD Green & MyPassport I already had on hand)
Case - Corsair 200R

Monitor - Acer ED270R (27", 16:9,1080p, Freesync (GSync compatible), 165Hz, 1 Display Port & 2 HDMI ports, Audio Out)

The monitor I got just over a month ago when the one I was using finally decided to die on me, granted it was used, so something was bound to happen to it after 3 years. And I was meaning to upgrade anyways, so it was good timing.

Everything in total, just under $1300 Canadian give or take

My PC I built in December:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2600
RAM - 16GB 3200Mhz
GPU - GTX 1660 Super
Motherboard - MSI B450m Gaming Plus
PSU - Corsair RMx (2018) 550 Watt
Storage - 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD, 240 WD Green SSD for Boot, 2TB WD MyPassport for additional storage (WD Green & MyPassport I already had on hand)
Case - Corsair 200R

Monitor - Acer ED270R (27", 16:9,1080p, Freesync (GSync compatible), 165Hz, 1 Display Port & 2 HDMI ports, Audio Out)

The monitor I got just over a month ago when the one I was using finally decided to die on me, granted it was used, so something was bound to happen to it after 3 years. And I was meaning to upgrade anyways, so it was good timing.

Everything in total, just under $1300 Canadian give or take

Interesting, an AMD build with an Nvidia GPU. You sometimes see Intel builds with AMD GPUs, but it seems like AMD builds with Nvidia GPUs are a rarity. Nothing wrong with that.

I wonder what the results would be with an M.2 given the higher bandwidth. Might be considering one of those puppies in the future.

The difference between an SSD and an M.2 is night and day. The speeds are absolutely colossal. Interestingly, the latest gen M.2 which go up to 5000 don't seem to drastically improve in game loading times compared to the 3500 read speeds.

Ed

I'm way too lazy to type all that out.

So....

T952nIU.png

That machine is what I use for most things. Note though that the actual monitor, not listed there, is rather junky. I dont have much space on this desk and frankly dont actually care about the monitor all that much. I care only that it does it's job without screwing up.

And the mouse I use isnt a gaming mouse despite that it's a gaming PC. It's a vertical mouse. I cant really use a normal one.

Then there's my laptop, which is.... a laptop. I've got nothing else to say about that one.

BTW, my desktop monitor is an LG 27MP48HQ-P IPS Full HD.

Just for fun, I will post my laptop specs (an HP Pavilion 15t)
  • CPU - Intel Core i5-5200U
  • Motherboard - HP 8093
  • GPU - Intel HD Graphics 5500
  • RAM - 16GB Kingston (upgraded from 8GB)
  • Monitor - 15.6" Full HD IPS
  • SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA (upgraded from a 1TB HGST 5400RPM HDD)
  • Optical Drive - HP SU208GB

Interesting, an AMD build with an Nvidia GPU. You sometimes see Intel builds with AMD GPUs, but it seems like AMD builds with Nvidia GPUs are a rarity. Nothing wrong with that.

I would've went with Intel, but they're more expensive; and I would've went with the R5 3600 but it was ~ $75 more or so and I didn't quite have the funds for that

Tbh AMD cpus are starting to dominate Intel. You're seeing more and more go with AMD cpu and Nvidia GPU these days.

Ed

Ampere announcement looks good. I think I'll be going for the 3080RTX and x2 1440P monitors.

Ed

My desktop:
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 2 3600X
  • Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus
  • Graphics Card - AMD RX5700XT Sapphire Pulse 8Gb
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 16GB (8GBx2) @3600mHz
  • Rest of my rig is old previous kit, a big tower & lots of HDD's of various capacities.

I built it 2 years ago, its specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600X
MOBO: Asus Strix X470 f
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB DDR4 3000MHz
SSD: ADATA 480GB
HDD: Toshiba 2TB

I've been planning on upgrade RAM to 16GB.

What do you all think if the new Nividia 3070?

I’m considering getting into pc if I can save up enough

3070 looks like the pricing sweet spot of the next gen. The fact it outperforms the 2080TI at a fraction of the cost means you could have a future proof 1440P build or a very capable 4k GPU, although some in game tweaking might be required of graphics settings etc to get smooth framerates on future games.

Ed

My computer:

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
PSU: RM750x
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Ram: 32GB 3200
SSD: 1TB evoplus
GPU: before I had a rtx 2070 super i returned it and i am waiting for the RTX 3070 to come out

Will the rtx 3070 bottleneck my ryzen 3700x processor?

@Eren Using a bottleneck calculator - your CPU with a 2080TI (as the site can't do the 30 series until release) has 2.76% bottleneck at 1080P, 4.67% at 1440P and 6.26% bottleneck at 4k.

Can't see it being an issue with a 3070 when it's released.

Ed

@Eren Using a bottleneck calculator - your CPU with a 2080TI (as the site can't do the 30 series until release) has 2.76% bottleneck at 1080P, 4.67% at 1440P and 6.26% bottleneck at 4k.

Can't see it being an issue with a 3070 when it's released.

Ed
great, thanks, I'll wait for the AMD graphics anyway, to see who offers the best.

Hopefully AMD can compete with a lot of the Nvidia cards - mainly to help with overall pricing. Right now the 3070 seems to be the most value for money. I'm thinking I'll go with the 3080, but in all honesty - it always feels hard to justify the amount of money I spend on technology.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom