• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Special part of my life

proudmom

Special part of my life has been when I decided to be an exchange student when I was 16.I always liked trying new things in life and my parents knew it.One day in September of 1995,told my parents I wanted to do this and they were supportive right away.It went through and a family from Ireland decided to host me.Was a priest and his wife with 3 sons whom welcomed me in with open arms.Saw I read their rules and followed them.This was in January of 1996 at age 17 when I came in.Even seen my school uniforms on the bed I got used to wearing.First time meeting the head person at school,things went well and saw I understood the rules there too.Met new friends too,one is my friend Chloe.Met her in my first class and introduced me to more new friends.I still keep in touch with her to this day.Made a pinky promise that has never been broken yet.My family did meet her as well when they visited and liked her on the spot.It was fun and enjoyed with so many good memories out of it.

That sounds great! Ireland is a lovely place, my grandparents met there when my grandfather was a telegraph operator in WW1. County Kerry, my grandma was from. You were brave to go at 16, wow. Sounds like you stayed at while and went to school too. That's an interesting experience to remember.

When I came,they were ready to meet me and did.Introduced themselves to me and I did the same.Went to school there too with memories.The teachers were good to me as well.Introduced me before starting class on my 1st day of school.Did have one boy slap me on the butt and the head person witnessed it.My parents did meet the head person when they visited too,both were amazed I was doing great.Did see me in my school uniform too.

proudmom said, “It went through and a family from Ireland decided to host me.Was a priest and his wife with 3 sons whom welcomed me in with open arms.”
@MyLifeAsAnAspie Yeah I wondered about that too. Catholic priests can’t marry. So maybe she means the priest was there with the family as a kind of official meeting and welcome for her.

Thank you @Martha Ferris, I learned a lot about the Anglican/Episcopalian churches today. Like that the word episcopal means the hierarchical form of church governance used by these churches as well as the catholic church. They are priests, but I don't remember that term ever being used to refer to them in the US.

My husband was raised in the Episcopal church and was an altar boy. The religious leaders are priests, can marry and have children, and are called "Father" by congregants.

I know of only a few Catholic priests who were dispensed from their obligation to practice celibacy--one is a popular author & speaker, Fr. Dwight Longenecker. He's a nice guy actually. Anyway he was once an Anglican priest, had a wife & kids for that was allowed, convertied to Catholicism, and the Church (which doesn't permit divorce) figured "well this guy clearly is skilled at ministering to people, but he's only now found this religion. So why don't we give him an exception?"

So that's the only time I've ever met a Catholic priest with a wife & kids.

There was a Polish priest who scandalized everyone at his going-away party when he got up to make a speech & loudly mentioned "And I Must Worry, for my Wife and Kids Back In the Poland."
Everyone was very upset but I think they needed to lighten up; they need to realize that priests like dirty jokes too.

Chloe even introduced me to her family.They saw a friendship between us right away.She even taught me to ride a horse.I was even one of her bridesmaids when Chloe married her husband.She even was a bridesmaid when I married my husband.Chloe is a mom of 3,two sons and a daughter.Plans are me coming to visit next year in July for a week,Chloe and I will have some ladies night out time

I personally believe that doing an exchange or work abroad stint is great for everyone (and even more so for those on the spectrum or who might otherwise be socially awkward due to a sheltered life or otherwise) - there's so much learning and exploration that one can obtain to truly enrich one's life. :)

I personally believe that doing an exchange or work abroad stint is great for everyone (and even more so for those on the spectrum or who might otherwise be socially awkward due to a sheltered life or otherwise) - there's so much learning and exploration that one can obtain to truly enrich one's life. :)
I also learned about my Irish heritage more,the culture and the foods as well.Tried eating them and loved them.One was the pulled corned beef sandwich.

Welcome @proudmom . I enjoyed reading your story and imagining what it might be like to be a young kid, traveling overseas. It must have been so exciting!

Welcome @proudmom . I enjoyed reading your story and imagining what it might be like to be a young kid, traveling overseas. It must have been so exciting!
It was exciting and well worth it.My host parents saw Chloe and I had a tight bond right away too.I have a picture of Chloe and I on horses going out for a ride host mom I had took of us

New Threads

Top Bottom