• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you currently have special interest(s) and infodump about your SI to NTs or other autistics?

• No, and I don't infodump.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I infodump about my previous special interests.

• I don't have a special interest right now.

• Total voters

SRSAutistic

Please reply to this thread.

1. What are your current special interests?

2. Do you infodump about your special interests to NTs or other autistics?

3. Why do we autistics want to know everything about our special interests and become experts on it?

4. Do you like infodumping about your special interests to NTs or other autistics?

5. Why do we autistics infodump about our special interests for hours at a time with everyone we meet?

Regards,

SRSAutistic

I have a writing project I am working on. I probably would say, I TRY to info dump about it, to my partner. But they get bored after literally 3 minutes! My info dumping window there is way too short. Even their eyes start shutting. Unless we're in the car.

I definitely do not info dump for hours. No one's available or willing to listen to me doing that. However I would say my mum does that, and she's NT. I listen, hey she's in her 90s! But it can get wearing.

Some of us don't seem to have an off switch where our interests are concerned. Also, some of us are not good at to and fro communication. I think that's partly our different wiring. A brain difference.

I would never infodump for prolonged periods of time. I infodump more in the way that the term implies. It's a dump. I rant for 30 seconds about something they have no interest in, they politely feign interest, and the world moves on. I, for one, am happy with this procedure. I do it most often with a friend of mine who is the kindest person anyone could meet. I'll never know if he has secret, negative thoughts because he's never expressed anything but love. Christ shines through him like a beacon.

Okay, some answers:

1. Video games, board games, twisty puzzles, drones, VR, art, cosplay

2. Only rarely. It sure didnt take long to figure out that most people arent interested, so it's a waste of time to explain any of these to most people. The one exception being VR... rarely do I find someone that doesnt want to hear about what it's like, and often the person wants to at least try it. And an infodump about that subject is fairly short, since it cannot be entirely explained without showing.

3. Er... because? Some things dont have to have a reason. Some things simply are.

4. Not really, it accomplishes little and as I said, most of the time they dont care at all, so I usually just feel ridiculous doing it. The end result is that I keep to myself a lot and it's very rare that I'll talk to anyone around my about my interests at all, even if asked.

5. See point #3.

1. What are your current special interests? Mainly photography, classic cars, local arts & culture scene

2. Do you infodump about your special interests to NTs or other autistics? Rarely, I have learned few people care

3. Why do we autistics want to know everything about our special interests and become experts on it? It's always good to learn new skills

4. Do you like infodumping about your special interests to NTs or other autistics? I enjoy sharing what interests me and what I enjoy doing, but I am very careful about "infodumping"

5. Why do we autistics infodump about our special interests for hours at a time with everyone we meet? It's probably a lack of awareness, perhaps related to how we struggle with recognizing social norms

I always joke that I know far too many useless facts about classic cars, I could bore people for ages, I can bring up the odd example of a useless fact within a conversation, but never let it get too far out of hand...

New Threads

Top Bottom