• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

speaking too loud

Either it's too loud, too fast (usually this one), or too quiet. Heck, somemes I'm told I just plain old speak like I'm bonkers. Which is super fun and all...

I THINK BY GROWING UP AND REALISING YOU'RE DIFFERENT MAKES YOU GO... quiet. You're not sure what to say or how to say things without feeling like others are talking and judging us in society, etc.

All my life I've been told there is no need to shout. I didn't realise I was shouting. If I didn't grow up feeling so insecure, I probably would still be loud (and adjust to acting appropriately.) Now I'm so quiet and don't know how to act. I'm learning to find my voice these days and not be scared to express it appropriately.

I speak loudly and very quickly, unless I am too shy in a social situation and then I speak very quietly. I also laugh quite loudly.
I often get asked why I am shouting. I have a tendency to raise my voice when I am excited or irritated.

Too loud, definitely, to the point it's even mentioned as an observation in my diagnosis.
But sometimes I'm too quiet, too. Seems I just can't get tone & volume right as soon as some kind of emotion happens.
Public speaking classes did help a lot, though, at least now I manage to do well in certain settings.

Are you told that you speak too loud? Did you happened to see a pattern to that?
When I was a kid, I was too quiet for them. Now, I am too loud when I am trying to explain something. Or even if I am upset, apparently I am still too loud for a person who is upset.

Aspie spouse can be loud, usually on the phone or when he's excited. He'll speak loudly when there's any sort of background noise, he has a difficult time concentrating on speaking if there's lots of ambient noise around.

Are you told that you speak too loud? Did you happened to see a pattern to that?
Hi!
I am regularly told that I don't need to shout. I work in health care with a caseload of mostly older adults. My public/working persona needs to be assertive and friendly with an ever-changing group of strangers. As an Aspie, this requires a huge amount of energy to maintain. I can "extrovert" (to use it as a pseudo verb) through most of an 8 hour shift, if I disappear for quiet charting time during lunch hours. I've learned the hard way that I can only work at this vocation I love for part time hours. My attempts to work full time have resulted in exhaustion and depression, with cardiac and GI symptoms, to boot. I digress-- the loud talking happens most often when I have had to dial up my energy to work with an individual, or if I happen to see a patient who is hard of hearing. In both cases, I struggle to return my speaking volume to appropriate levels. It's like, once I'm speaking-up, I get stuck speaking-up, or keep returning by default to my 'outdoor voice'. I also used to spit unintentionally, especially when excited about my topic of speech. Since I've been on antidepressant meds, I have a dry mouth-- so problem solved there.

Aspie spouse can be loud, usually on the phone or when he's excited. He'll speak loudly when there's any sort of background noise, he has a difficult time concentrating on speaking if there's lots of ambient noise around.
Ha ha... it wasn't til I looked at your post, Mia, that I recalled how often my NT hubby tells me I'm yelling into the phone. Unfortunately, he's telling me that from nearby in our house... so I feel embarrassed to note that I am talking too loudly to whomever is on the line with me. I have always struggled with phone use, but just thought it was my own personal weirdness (prior to learning that other AS folks also find it tough). Still feel quite uncool about it all.

Yes definitely yes,my husband has to tell me to turn my volume down when I speak but the thing is I sometimes don't realise the volume of my own voice and don't realise I'm speaking too loud I also sometimes speak too soft it's like that I don't know my own volume of my voice.

I'm yelling into the phone. Unfortunately, he's telling me that from nearby in our house... so I feel embarrassed to note that I am talking too loudly to whomever is on the line with me. I have always struggled with phone use, but just thought it was my own personal weirdness (prior to learning that other AS folks also find it tough). Still feel quite uncool about it all.

Yeah, when he gets stressed or he's on a cell phone or talking to someone on a cell. Yet I'm the same on a cell as there's too much background noise or static. Probably as it's a poor connection it's often hard to hear. Have a hard time with them too. So I guess neither us are all that cool.:eek:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom