• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Something has been bothering me since I job shadowed at a Doggie Day Care

Jena

So I decided to find a job at a Doggie Day Care near me. So I job shadowed yesterday. And while I was job shadowing. The person I was supposedly job shadowing for, took one of the dog's fur scruff (that loose fur on the top of the dog's neck) and he picked the dog up by it lifting the dog slightly in the air (this was a lab). And then the same dude hit a dog on the face. I did call him out for it but part of me feels guilty not saying something to the manager. Like I really need this job so I can save money to go to Africa with my mom (specifically East Africa) so like I didn't want get the person I was job shadowing for in trouble. Because it was literally my first day there and idk if they would want me to come back again after that. Plus he is 20 years old and works a 12 hour shift and is full time and had holes in his coat, and this was his first job. Like in retrospect I am 23 and only worked at most 8 hours part time for a summer. So part of me just didn't want to tell the manager due to all the stuff he told me. But at the same time dogs shouldn't be hit at a place that takes a oath they would never do that too. And of course you know us Aspies we are rule orientated lmao, so enforcing rules is one thing we strive lol. So yeah idk if I did the right thing by not telling the management or not. He only hit her once too. Anyways they said they will call me back once may starts so I can move forward in job shadowing and then doing part-time. (due to conflict in my schedule with classes).

I would have said something. People who bring their animals in to day cares would not want them abused.

Noticed once that two of the animal care places that I visited had staff that the pets seemed afraid of. None of the dogs went near the staff, they seemed to avoid them. No way that I would leave my pets with them.

Right @Mia. We picked up two animals from a boarding place, and l felt they were neglected, so we never took them back. If we picked them up and the behavior was normal, then l could tell they were taken care of.

uh difficult, you need the experience, but sometimes you have to keep your mouth shut, especially if new, maybe just monitor the situation for now while you learn the job. maybe things will change, staff come and go.

You should definitely say something. How many times has this person done this? They had no issue whatsoever striking the dog in front of you - something tells me that this is something that this person doesn't see an issue with and I would guess that others there don't see much issue with it either, because they're comfortable doing this in front of others.

That said, I do know what it's like to look the other way on stuff at work because you need a job. I've unfortunately been in the position to have to do that a fair bit in the past (usually it was the employer, not the fellow employees, who were doing wrong things and expecting me to do the same). It takes a lot of courage to call employers out on stuff like this, and even more when your financial security depends on it.

The problem is if he does that in front of you, what does he do when nobody is around. This kinda of person has anger management issues. Serial killers start out killing small animals. So this person can be violent. So think carefully, maybe phone in anonymously that he was seen hitting a animal. l don't want to see you bullied as a result of being a whistle blower. But also see if this behavior is tolerated by several clickish individuals who look out for each other.

I would have said something. People who bring their animals in to day cares would not want them abused.

Noticed once that two of the animal care places that I visited had staff that the pets seemed afraid of. None of the dogs went near the staff, they seemed to avoid them. No way that I would leave my pets with them.

I know I should of. He only did it 1 time. When I go back there in May, I will try to analyze the situation better and mabye he might not even be there by the time I get to go back idk. I did tell him straight up I will not tolerate that kind of a warning to not do that again. He then had the nerve to say "I don't like this girl." Right in front of me to his other coworker (who was actually on my side about this and applogized for his behaivor)

The problem is if he does that in front of you, what does he do when nobody is around. This kinda of person has anger management issues. Serial killers start out killing small animals. So this person can be violent. So think carefully, maybe phone in anonymously that he was seen hitting a animal. l don't want to see you bullied as a result of being a whistle blower. But also see if this behavior is tolerated by several clickish individuals who look out for each other.

Exactly. The dogs all didn't seem like they were afraid to be there in fact they all seem pretty happy. I have been bullied before because I call people out on things they arent suppose to do so that's why I am kinda afraid to say something. I did warn him that I won't tolerate that. His fellow coworker was there too and he was on my side that the dude was wrong. He even applogized about his coworker's behavior. And that sometimes he gets mad. Lots can change till May so if I see him do something questionable again I will talk to the manager. Luckily the dog did bounce back after he striked at her I also couldn't even understand why he would just smack her like that in the first place. That dog is super friendly. Yes she jumps up but she does it so gently and just wanting some extra pets. She also likes to sit by feet and roll over for belly rubs she kinda reminds me of my old dog who died in 2019 due to old age.

uh difficult, you need the experience, but sometimes you have to keep your mouth shut, especially if new, maybe just monitor the situation for now while you learn the job. maybe things will change, staff come and go.
that's what I am thinking I'll do.

You're gonna encounter inappropriate and dodgy stuff in any work place, but a lot of managers don't want to know about problems and informing them can get you seen as the problem, and other staff could see you as a 'dobber'. It's a whistleblower thing, so you have to tread carefully, they often get rid of the whistleblower. Just being a witness is a useful role.

that's what I am thinking I'll do.

There is the idea that you can change other people's treatment of the animals if you work there. Being a kinder influence. I wish you luck Jena, in getting the job.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom