• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Something Good

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
I wanted to create this thread for anyone to share something good that happened to them recently. I had a crappy day, so I thought this would help me cheer up.

I tried a new job, but it was a really terrible work environment. Lots of teeth grinding, chest pain, insomnia, and so on, on my part. I got my old job back, which I really missed. They gave me a new, more private office, so I could deal with noise better. I was also given a raise, which the other employees got while I was gone. That was very nice of them.

This weekend I'm meeting a friend for lunch. Soon he's going to sell his house and then go on a long hiking trip, for a couple months. Then I don't know where he'll live. So I'm trying to enjoy our time now.

I think my music and production is getting better. More comfortable with my new guitar. Moving forward with the Autism Pad app. :) Happy about it.

I had to go get a vaccine booster shot yesterday. Normally I've got a paralyzing fear of needles. No, I dont know why. But it's there. So for quite awhile I just kept putting it off, over and over...

Yesterday I abruptly declared that this was stupid. It's just a single needle. And other people can face challenges much greater than that without fear. Surely, I can manage to do the same with this, I decided.

So... I did. I couldnt get rid of ALL of the anxiety, but I just went and bloody well did it and managed not to wreck myself in the process.

There's lessons to be learned here, about confidence and fear. Considering that I still need to have the, uh, transgender discussion with family, and have been putting THAT off over and over for basically the same reason (and just like the needle, there is no ACTUAL reason to be afraid of doing that), these are lessons I should be pondering carefully. Since there's no reason why that should be an insurmountable challenge either.

Also I'm going to reward myself later today, a little trip down to the local board game store, gonna get a couple of hero packs for Marvel Champions (one of my favorite games). I'd been avoiding going into places like that for fear of germs, but since I got over my fear of the needle, I dont have to fear THAT anymore either.

Confidence breeds confidence, it turns out.

I can apply this to more things too, perhaps. Like that absolutely overwhelming anxiety I get when dealing with the airport (seriously it's terrible). What a silly fear, surely I can beat that too.

I've had good success the last few weeks getting chores done at home. Each weekend has been an improvement and that's huge for me.

I made a phone call
I am eating pineapple and sewing
and saw a hawk on the tree. I dont believe in signs or anything religious but that hawk was there the whole time I was making that phone call.Wish I had taken a photo. Hopefuly he will come back to sit on the tree.

I finally got off my backside and organised doctors appointments and for once I got to see a doctor that didn't argue with me and just agreed with me. That greatly relieved a lot of stress. Maybe after I've gone through this I'll work up the courage to see a dentist.

This made me happy to read. I am speaking more truthfully to people. I will not be marginalize or stepped on. Yes, people don't like it but it's on the path of advocating for myself and people will respond negatively. But in the end, l feel better about myself.

I had a great meeting with my boss today and yesterday had a very encouraging conversation with my other boss. They make me feel like I'm on their team and I appreciate that.

Love your avatar, by the way.

Thank you to all the people who replied to my thread, I greatly appreciate it. Reading each reply has helped me feel better. I had to make a response because this has really helped me feel better and try to look at the positives of life than to dwell only on the negatives.

Kind of late replying here, but I got a quarter pounder with cheese for $1.00 tonight.
Love those things, even if they aren't supposed to be good for you!
Bought a large vanilla iced coffee to go with it. Mmm good.

So I made it to the place yesterday, got my little reward to myself:

C5mBFjO.jpg

It was a little stressful to go there... it's very nearby, but it's in the "downtown" area (or what passes for one, in this super rural country region), and though that area is very small, I'm not really used to walking around it. And the store is very new, it only opened a couple of months ago and so I'm not familiar with it. Going to like, a supermarket is easy even if it's one I've never been to, because it's just a supermarket. But a specialty store is always a bit tougher for me... it's hard to explain why. But I went there and browsed around and they have a large selection of packs for this game, so I picked out these two that I'd been after.

The Ant-Man one, I'd actually ordered from Amazon once before, and the dolts entirely lost the bloody thing (and then ran out of stock, because of course they did). But now I got my hands on it.

Gonna open them up and check them out in a moment here.

Also I'm feeling less messed up now. I'd posted a status message earlier that I'd been getting some side effects from the booster shot... mostly just feeling drained and a bit feverish and weird... but that effect just abruptly popped about 30 minutes after I posted that. Just poof, gone! So that's good too. That's pretty much how it went with the previous booster too.

Kind of late replying here

Nah, I think with a topic like this there isnt really a point of being "late". Honestly this seems like the sort of topic that should almost be pinned, since it's just a big source of positivity and such. I'd like to see people keep posting in here.

I am a respiratory therapist specializing in neonatal medicine. I am also an instructor at a local university. I teach neonatal and pediatric respiratory therapy. With that said:

About 2 weeks ago, my department manager said that I have been "THE neonatal resource for our department" for the past 20 years.

About 1 week ago, my supervisor said during my annual employee evaluation that, "I am consistently an exceptional performer and the lead resource for all things neonatal." That sort of language usually means a higher annual raise than others.

2 days ago, the clinical coordinator for our respiratory program was touring our hospital with about 20 of our new respiratory care students. The whole group stopped by my office, he pulled me into the hallway, and introduced me to them. He flattered me by saying, "You will never meet a more knowledgable neonatal therapist in your life." Strong words.

Yesterday, one of my advanced students who was working in the neonatal unit was questioning one of the neonatologists. I had just set up a chronically ill baby on a new type of mechanical ventilator that uses brain signals to trigger the breathing. With a group of young physicians around him, according to the the student, he said that I had done a great job getting the ventilator dialed into the patient, and that the patient was responding positively to the new ventilator. I wasn't there, but if someone is going to talk about me behind my back, it's nice to hear something positive.

So, just when I am having those days when I am feeling a bit defeated, things like that happen. :)

I was on the verge of a meltdown last night, too much sensory and social overload building up all week. But, I came to my room and listened to a song a forum member wrote a few times in a row on my headphones and I hugged my dog. I immediately started to reset and feel calm again.

These are things (the song, the headphones, and understanding what it means to have a low social battery that needs charging) that happened because of what I’ve learned about autism and I felt some sort of power over my senses and emotions at last. I feel like I am actually learning things to cope in the world now and that gives me confidence, hope, and happiness.

I was on the verge of a meltdown last night, too much sensory and social overload building up all week. But, I came to my room and listened to a song a forum member wrote a few times in a row on my headphones and I hugged my dog. I immediately started to reset and feel calm again.

These are things (the song, the headphones, and understanding what it means to have a low social battery that needs charging) that happened because of what I’ve learned about autism and I felt some sort of power over my senses and emotions at last. I feel like I am actually learning things to cope in the world now and that gives me confidence, hope, and happiness.
Cute avatar too.
It maybe part of something that l just am not aware of?

This post came at a good time, my life is just going backwards and l am trying to stay onboard as sometimes we don't have much options.

Yesterday I had the difficult talk with my top employee. Ouch! We talked for quite a while and are moving forward towards getting me out of this work. Painful listening to her pain, but we got through it. One day at a time.

Yesterday I had the difficult talk with my top employee. Ouch! We talked for quite a while and are moving forward towards getting me out of this work. Painful listening to her pain, but we got through it. One day at a time.
1674352423015.jpeg

The tough beginning to hopefully sweet things.

Does anyone have something good they would like to share? I had a great time reading the replies last time. Thought I would give it a try again.

New Threads

Top Bottom