• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some unwelcome news and adaptation

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
I got some unwelcome news regarding eligibility for an educational grant that I had applied for. Apparently, the eligibility requirements have changed some and it is not looking so promising. I heard back from the Workforce Development Office at Delaware Technical College and they said that they're trying to get an exception for me but it isn't looking very likely.

The issue is is that the program is really for unemployed and part time, underemployed people. My working 32 hours a week knocks me out of the eligibility range and the Eligibility Coordinator is seeing if she can get me an exception based on the fact that being a security guard is underemployed given my work history in technology. Another wrinkle is that I have a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice and I am (kind of) working in my field of formal education so this may also work against me as the coordinator sadly had to point out. She told me she would fight for me but not to get my hopes up. I do appreciate her honesty.

If it looks like I might have to work as a security guard for the foreseeable future, I am going to do what I can to better my resume outside of recent experience. The better security jobs out there are at hospitals and government facilities. Security for government facilities has certain physical fitness/health requirements that I won't be able to reach given that I am diabetic and have a health history. I believe working in healthcare security to be the more viable option. I'll just have to get some healthcare security certifications to make my resume look a little more competitive.

Matt your positive attitude is so impressive. I hope that the Eligibility Coordinator will be successful but glad to hear you have a backup plan. Go Matty!

New Threads

Top Bottom