• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Software to draw diagrams

OrdinaryCitizen

Need to find software to draw diagrams or mind maps.

In standard "mind mapping" diagram sub branches go each direction from central idea and i find it tough to navigate and find what i need its like being lost in the forest with ton of choices i guess its NT type of diagram.

how_to_use_mind_maps.jpg

I need something more structured view like "hierarchical taxonomy" e.g.

diag.jpg

Need ability to input data rapidly with just keyboard without need to draw and position each shape and create connections manually.

Last edited:
Get hold of Libre Office and look through the extensions available. There are a few dedicated to flowcharts & diagrams. Inkscape might be worth a look too. It'll certainly handle the GFX but I'm not sure if there are ready made add-ons.

In standard "mind mapping" diagram sub branches go each direction from central idea and i find it tough to navigate and find what i need its like being lost in the forest with ton of choices i guess its NT type of diagram.

I actually like the diagram you made in color. I find it easy to follow - different script and different colors. The standardized "all the same" text boxes are too identical for me make easy associations with differences. This is just my personal view. I like what you drew. I've always been different from mainstream thought. Your drawing has personality and it's easy to read. You are clearly creative.

I used to enjoy playing with early versions of The Brain software, though it was a long time ago, and I forget if it will do what you want.
I’ve never seen it used in a business setting – it all seems to be Visio now.

I actually like the diagram you made in color. I find it easy to follow - different script and different colors. The standardized "all the same" text boxes are too identical for me make easy associations with differences. This is just my personal view. I like what you drew. I've always been different from mainstream thought. Your drawing has personality and it's easy to read. You are clearly creative.
I have not created this its eaxample i found online, just google images with keyword "mind map" you see many examples, and its just software that draws branches, you don't have to do anything but type and drag connections.

For me personally i totally cannot see anything on that colored diagram it all blends together into one big image and i have to put a lot of effort to naviage it. It looks cool yes but totally useless for me.

I've been using draw.io, a free web site to create this exact types of "maps", you can export it, save it, etc, and it has a lot of options.

I needed a offline solution for notes taking and basic diagrams i stopped on Mindomo, its also Free.

Another good one is Inspiration 9 however this one is more for children.

I was going to suggest Inspiration 9. Microsoft Visio could also work but it is much more expensive and complicated to use than Inspiration 9.

I was going to suggest Inspiration 9. Microsoft Visio could also work but it is much more expensive and complicated to use than Inspiration 9.
I actually like Inspirition 9 and its great software except it feels like made for school, don't think its being developed any longer.

Problem with the Visio at least back in the day when i used it was that all charts had to be assembled manually box by box then have draw connections manually and it took forever, now there are programs that make charts much faster plus allow you to rearrange them in different styles.

Another great software that also not developed anymore is iMindMap 11, it requires fast computer.

I actually like Inspirition 9 and its great software except it feels like made for school, don't think its being developed any longer.

Problem with the Visio at least back in the day when i used it was that all charts had to be assembled manually box by box then have draw connections manually and it took forever, now there are programs that make charts much faster plus allow you to rearrange them in different styles.

Another great software that also not developed anymore is iMindMap 11, it requires fast computer.
I used Visio a few years back and that indeed was the case. Good to know about iMindMap 11.

New Threads

Top Bottom