• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Socially tired

Owliet

The Hidden One.
I’m absolutely tired out, and it has only been one day. I can’t even claim it’s because I’m out of practice. It’s just been a very busy last few days. I crafting motivation over the weekend would help to reset, so I’m a little disappointed that I’m still feeling exhausted physically and emotionally, however this is not my first feeling from this type of thing and it won’t be my last. I guess, my question is does anyone else experience sudden overwhelming feelings of just tired out after some form of social situation? And how do you deal with it?

Attachments

• 7DD8DC85-C742-488E-B605-7BFADD7637BD.jpeg
    7DD8DC85-C742-488E-B605-7BFADD7637BD.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 69
Me too!!! At the moment I’m super burned out from getting a lot of private messages on here, and a lot of texts and phone calls irl (some of these phone calls were really unpleasant and I don’t like talking on the phone very much.)

I’m pretty extroverted but I have a limit lol.
I don’t interact with a lot of people in my day to day life though so most of the social interaction I get is online/through the phone.

I’m sorry you’re burned out at the moment too. Sometimes it just gets to be too much and we need to let ourselves have a break.

Yes! Absolutely yes, social interaction is tiresome.

The upstairs folks threw a party last night. They got the guests over, poured the drinks, jawed about something other than politics for a change. First it was voices, then it was the living-room hi-fi, then it was the massive player piano in the fore-room. I don't mean a little cheap style of pianola but a Duo-Art Reproducing Grand which pumps itself up by electricity and then lets loose with Widor or Rachmaninoff. Looks like a ghost is playing it, and the volume could raise the dead anyway.

"Come up and have a drink with us!" someone shouted.

Unfortunately, even that was a lot to turn down. No thanks, I'm fine. If I knew they were going to fire up the player piano I'd have come up to hear the music but the prospect of tippling with a bunch of loud wealthy people turns me right off.

Yes, this happens to me. What helps me, personally, is rest and isolation from further interactions, so that I am able to recharge/ refill my tank, so to speak.

I don't know how much time you've been away from your job, but, perhaps, it will take a few days to get used to, again. This in itself, can cause exhaustion, speaking for myself.

I hope you become less tired, as each day passes. : )

Edit_ I just reread your post. I assumed that you may have returned to work, today, but, realize, now, that I may be wrong.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Gerontius, post: 834093, member: 24626]Looks like a ghost is playing it, and the volume could raise the dead anyway.[/QUOTE]
This made me laugh.
We had a piano at my parents’ house that I swear was haunted.

Yes, I have that, too. The only thing that helps is to get away. Or, if you know yourself well, to get away before you are exhausted so you can enjoy some alone time without being exhausted.
For me it helps to definitely stop engaging in conversations and only listen. Then, if it's during partying (prepandemic :'( ) I would get out to the fresh air, or have a smoke alone, or just go somewhere where there would be less people for 10-15 minutes, sit on the sidewalk, enjoy the mood and enjoy life and enjoy the thought that there are friends waiting for me to come back. And if it still all to much, you just go home. Nobody will hate you, they will think you are super grown-up for leaving when you feel like it.

But your problem sounds different, like the exhaustion still lingers. Have you tried just lying on the couch not doing anything productive? Or meditaion? Something that decrases the imput from the outside world...That's what I would try.

Good luck :)

Me too!!! At the moment I’m super burned out from getting a lot of private messages on here, and a lot of texts and phone calls irl (some of these phone calls were really unpleasant and I don’t like talking on the phone very much.)

I’m pretty extroverted but I have a limit lol.
I don’t interact with a lot of people in my day to day life though so most of the social interaction I get is online/through the phone.

I’m sorry you’re burned out at the moment too. Sometimes it just gets to be too much and we need to let ourselves have a break.

yeah, it gets too much at times. Yeah, i don’t like phone calls either, very draining. Be kind to yourself too Luca.

Yes! Absolutely yes, social interaction is tiresome.

The upstairs folks threw a party last night. They got the guests over, poured the drinks, jawed about something other than politics for a change. First it was voices, then it was the living-room hi-fi, then it was the massive player piano in the fore-room. I don't mean a little cheap style of pianola but a Duo-Art Reproducing Grand which pumps itself up by electricity and then lets loose with Widor or Rachmaninoff. Looks like a ghost is playing it, and the volume could raise the dead anyway.

"Come up and have a drink with us!" someone shouted.

Unfortunately, even that was a lot to turn down. No thanks, I'm fine. If I knew they were going to fire up the player piano I'd have come up to hear the music but the prospect of tippling with a bunch of loud wealthy people turns me right off.
I had that once at university. I was in dorms and they decided to have a party next door. Went until 3 am and then for one blissful hour, it was silence until some idiot decided to pull the fire alarm. I had class early in the morning too. I’m sorry that you had that experience. Wish people would think about others.

Yes, this happens to me. What helps me, personally, is rest and isolation from further interactions, so that I am able to recharge/ refill my tank, so to speak.

I don't know how much time you've been away from your job, but, perhaps, it will take a few days to get used to, again. This in itself, can cause exhaustion, speaking for myself.

I hope you become less tired, as each passes. : )

Edit_ I just reread your post. I assumed that you may have returned to work, today, but, realize, now, that I may be wrong.

technically I have returned to work after a week break. I had my first Full week Last week. Although most of that was long hours of invigilating exams *One to 6pm! Plus teaching middle schoolers and having to respond to every other person. And now grading exams. And some colleagues seem to want to talk to me. I’m not surprised but I’m currently resetting sitting in the dark on a bean bag on my iPad. Not how I imagined Monday to go. Just wish I didn’t have to keep running to fill my tank up from near empty at times (to borrow your Excellent analogy)

One more thing, I didn`t want to click funny on your post because it`s not funny, but that cat picture is hilarious! :)

it’s my current form at the moment.

But your problem sounds different, like the exhaustion still lingers. Have you tried just lying on the couch not doing anything productive? Or meditaion? Something that decrases the imput from the outside world...That's what I would try.

currently trying that. I have very minimal energy at the moment to move. But I agree, it certainly feels like the exhaustion is still left over.

I make myself some snacks, get a pile of books & my journal & sketchbook, and go to hibernate mode for a day or sonetimes 2 days

We had a piano at my parents’ house that I swear was haunted
I had a 160 year old mirrored dresser that was seriously creepy. First we put it in a large walk in closet. That made it worse!
Then, even though it was supposedly a special hand-me-down, I donated it. The whole house felt better after it was gone.

Constant social interaction has been my entire life. I'm surprised I'm still alive...especially with social anxiety disorder. Permanent exhaustion.

Yes. Yes, I sure do. My ex used to tell me he could see the life being sucked out of me during social interactions. Like you could visualize my health bar just depleting. I have yet to find a way to replenish my health post-socialization. I usually zonk the second I get home… I’ve been noticing that it’s been getting more and more difficult for me to bounce back from that social exhaustion.

I hate my phone. I hate it when it rings. I like where l live, it cuts down on random jerks knocking on my door. I don't mind talking to retail because they are behind a counter. That is an ocean's distance to me.

I am polite now to a limit but the pandemic has created more idiots walking around, either that or a lot of people are off their meds. Then you start reading the crazy stories of vindictive people because you didn't signal in traffic and l am now socially fed-up.

[QUOTE="Gerontius, post: 834093, member: 24626]Looks like a ghost is playing it, and the volume could raise the dead anyway.
This made me laugh.
We had a piano at my parents’ house that I swear was haunted.[/QUOTE]

At the Stanley Hotel they used to have Mrs, Stanleys piano in the lobby. I was in the hotel in theb off season so I was litterally the only person, but the desk watch, in the lobby. My trajectory took me on a path that brought me adjecent to, but still about 5 feet from, Mrs. S's piano. And as I passed it it played a little trill that was not just the jangling of random piano keys.

A lunch with friends might only last two hours, but I swear I pay for that two hours with 4 hours recuperating. That's o.k. because it ensures I only lunch with those I really like and keeps me from wasting time and energy on mean people.

See, I'm already socially dead.

It's just that every now and then, some jerk necromancer socially resurrects me about halfway (I mean really he cant even get it right) and I'll have to deal with some moron for some inane reason.

I dont pretend to like it though, so there's that at least.

My inlaws came to visit in December and extended their stay... just another week and half until they leave. Counting down... oh man I'm so exhausted. Especially when one of them is constantly confrontational and doesn't have an edit button.

See, I'm already socially dead.

It's just that every now and then, some jerk necromancer socially resurrects me about halfway (I mean really he cant even get it right) and I'll have to deal with some moron for some inane reason.

I dont pretend to like it though, so there's that at least.
You might be socially dead, but your lively mind is quite entertaining!

New Threads

Top Bottom