• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

social skills and energy of introverts

waterrain

"Introverted leaders, according to Kahnweiler, also capitalize on their quiet time. They use it to reflect on their work and restore their energy."

I am introvert and realize it is true that I get my "energy" from being alone and get "drained" from being
in social situations that require me to contribute. I have also observed where extraverts I know seem to come alive more in social situations.
What exactly is happening in our brain or body that causes the exhaustion or the elation?

Just curios Is there some chemical that is drained when I am in groups and then the chemical restores when I am alone? Is that chemical what is deemed as our energy or is energy some spiritual thing?

I think I remember reading that being around people and activities stimulates dopamine production in the brain, which introverts are more sensitive to than extroverts, so we get overstimulated when there's a lot of activity going on, whereas extroverts want more. I'm not sure if there's a chemical that gets drained, but maybe there is. It's interesting to think about.

I seek out interaction with people a lot, BUT I feel it has to be on my terms in a way.

My ever increasing use of the internet doesn't help this and has helped me retract from being actually social with people and being that I have problems expressing myself and sometimes even talking at all in times of heightened emotional stress, retracting is not a good thing for me.

I think having to be out in public, talking to co-workers and sometimes customers and such, this leaves me utterly drained and in need of a rest from everyone and everything... Apart from my dear internet haha. I believe that I can not sustain working 5 days a week continuously, the older I get, the more frequent I need to take a break from the working 5 days out of a week. As much as I do like talking to people, I do need a break where I don't have to think about anything that I don't want to and just have the time to do whatever the hell I want.

My recharging time takes a lot longer than it used to, after going out on the fetish scene a few times and making new friends, it took me days to get over it and I don't see it getting easier for me.

I think I remember reading that being around people and activities stimulates dopamine production in the brain, which introverts are more sensitive to than extroverts, so we get overstimulated when there's a lot of activity going on, whereas extroverts want more. I'm not sure if there's a chemical that gets drained, but maybe there is. It's interesting to think about.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I like to be over stimulated most of the time, I have the TV on and often listen to music at the same time and can also being browsing my social media pages. I know this probably knackers me out too and I should keep it in check but I'm kinda addicted, damn it! haha

But with that, you could also wonder if dopamine surpressing meds would make it easier for introverts to actually be more social.. or even be forced to be more social *shudder*.

I'm not saying that you can't be right, I just wonder about how far doctors might eventually go to make people more extroverted.

But with that, you could also wonder if dopamine surpressing meds would make it easier for introverts to actually be more social.. or even be forced to be more social *shudder*.

I'm not saying that you can't be right, I just wonder about how far doctors might eventually go to make people more extroverted.
I'm scared to take any psych meds. I wonder if a holistic solution is available.

sorry_i_cant_right_now_t_shirt-r9815156951a143c6b0cf3fac2f94e717_jg45y_324.jpg

If you don't have a lot of energy to socialize even a little bit, then I would recommend exercising and also looking at your diet. You want to do a little bit because it makes surviving easier in this world.

New Threads

Top Bottom