• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Media, who else doesn't trust it?

EricD

Who else doesn't trust social media? I just quit Facebook, Twitter, & Messenger because of people trying to scam me. I didn't fall for it, but one attempt is enough for me.

Who else doesn't trust social media? I just quit Facebook, Twitter, & Messenger because of people trying to scam me. I didn't fall for it, but one attempt is enough for me.

If it's not too personal a question, what was the nature of the scam? (I fully understand if you'd prefer not to answer)

I've never had anyone try to scam me on social media, but then I will not add somebody who I don't know on my personal accounts. I spend far too much time on Facebook, and I have a twitter account, but only for my hats rather than a personal account. I also have an Instagram account, but again not a personal one. I think maybe because I was really into MySpace when that was a thing, social media is a big thing in my life. I held off on Facebook for a long time but eventually had to accept it was replacing MySpace. I also like that with Facebook I can keep in contact with a couple of friends I have who live abroad now.

A money scam. Someone claiming to be a Facebook employee saying I won $100,000. He then asked for personal information, so I said goodbye and quit all social media.

I have Twitter but I hardly ever use it because it's full of trolls. I Facebook all the time though, although for various reasons I've actually closed my account at least twice before now, but always gone back after calming down after a meltdown.

I'm not afraid of being scammed though social media, I'm just annoyed by the vast amount of people spreading fake news or pseudoscience without checking facts. Thankfully, there's an ignore button for that ^_^

A money scam. Someone claiming to be a Facebook employee saying I won $100,000. He then asked for personal information, so I said goodbye and quit all social media.

Ah ok. I can appreciate that being a bad experience. I get so many spam emails of a similar nature (spoof paypal, that sort of thing) that I don't even think I would bat an eyelid at a scam on social media these days.

I trust social media... I trust them to sell off all user date to companies and advertisers and take steps to mine as much information about you as possible to maximise their profit.

That's why I don't use any of them.

Oh my. When I think of how many times have I posted Facebook as "an online version of Lord of the Flies".

The thing is, one must venture into any social media being aware of the demographic implications before doing so. Both in whatever theme may be present within a site, and/or the variety of members it may draw.

In the case of Facebook, it draws so many different kinds of people that IMO you're basically talking about a certainty of predatory behavior on the part of some people. Compounded at times by mob mentalities.

IMO if you don't or are unable to make such considerations, you're going to be "social cannon fodder" for others. A primary reason "I just say no" to Facebook and similar social media sites. Too much variety when it comes to such a site's members, where trolls and predators abound.

If you aren't willing to be discriminating over such considerations, you're probably going to get hurt.

I can't tolerate liars, fakers scammers, or scum of any sort. I will not socialize with such lesser sorts.

I'm pretty savvy when it comes to spotting scams so I don't worry too much about it. I ignore friend requests from people I don't know, I don't want them reading my profile. I recently updated my privacy on my page now to remove all of my feed to people not my friends list.

I'm pretty savvy when it comes to spotting scams so I don't worry too much about it. I ignore friend requests from people I don't know, I don't want them reading my profile. I recently updated my privacy on my page now to remove all of my feed to people not my friends list.

Agreed. Scams have materialized exponentially in the last few years. It's one issue where my inherent distrust of others keeps me from being a victim.

But so many others continue to get "stung" with new twists on an premise to rip people off. Very frustrating, but thank goodness for Nomorobo. The scam phone calls I used to get have dropped off to a trickle per week. Still, disheartening to look some of these numbers up only to find in almost every case they are criminal scammers looking to defraud people.

Majority of it I don't trust as a whole. There a few exceptions. There this computer store post these deals interest me. So something for marketing and if it a vendor that I trust that fine. But for current events, I would't trust it at all at least if the person manage the account is credible. As for me, I don't use social media credible source for current events.

I can't tolerate liars, fakers scammers, or scum of any sort. I will not socialize with such lesser sorts.
same here,which is why i avoid facebook now,to many mentally ill fakers/liars posing as autistic or otherwise disabled,i know one person who poses as LFA with severe intellectual disability to get attention and pity off readers,it takes the piss because people with severe intellectual disability do not have the communicative or academic ability to do what she does yet people fall for that trap time and time again and spend their time doting on her when there are genuine aspies and auties with genuine autistic issues going on that they could need support with.

i absolutely hate facebook now,i just miss the genuine autie/aspie/LD/ID/MH friends i had on there.

The only "social media" I enjoy is Pinterest 'cause I can find an endless amount of jokes and funny pictures on it. Twitter and Facebook are too biased and nosy to be of any interest to me.

God no, I absolutely LOATHE Fakebook and everything it stands for. People get so caught up in it, and I just cannot fathom why.

Majority of it I don't trust as a whole. There a few exceptions. There this computer store post these deals interest me. So something for marketing and if it a vendor that I trust that fine. But for current events, I would't trust it at all at least if the person manage the account is credible. As for me, I don't use social media credible source for current events.

I agree and I find it alarming that so many people believe everything they read on social media. Some people depend on this for their current event news. A very large percentage of what you read there is wrong.

Some of my FB friends seem to live their lives through their Facebook accounts, yesterday afternoon a mate of mine who I've known for years posted a video of his dog having a Poo in the Garden! Which even by his standard seems a bit daft!

A very large percentage of what you read there is wrong.

True. IMO political polarization and tabloid entertainment is driving most forms of media towards entertainment and skirting the periphery of libel all for profit. Conventional journalism appears to be an "endangered species".

Then factor in those online deliberately posting lies. It's all going to hell.

The creepy part is the "success quotient". Where you strive to accrue viewers who both love or hate whatever is being posted. A win-win equation for shareholders and advertisers. Makes for a helluva target audience well beyond mere fans.

Thus I find it increasingly difficult to trust media period. Forcing me to search for a cohesive consensus rather than just an individual alleged "fact". Arrrrgh! :eek:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom