• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social "intelligence" test

It's basically the RMET (Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test) under the guise of a "social intelligence test". Not sure what this alone has to do with social intelligence, but I scored a 29/36.

The average score according to the NYTimes article above is between 22 to 30 for reference. The comments there are pretty interesting.

I was disappointed due to the title of the instrument.
"Social Intelligence Test"
It turned out to be what I have seen many times.
*How good are you at deciphering emotions portrayed
in photographs of human faces?*

Last time I completed one of these I realized that it was easier
to think of the images as representations of an emotion, rather
than imagine I was discerning actual feelings of another person.

Yes I got 30, though I took a few guesses at some questions. I am quite good at recognising expressions and emotions, it is unstructured social interaction I find difficult.

Facial recognition/emotions tests? Yeah, I've taken those before.

Usually scoring around 23 to 26 points as I recall. Not too good...:oops:

Found this and I thought it was interesting: Social Intelligence Test

I got 30/36. More than I expected. I would like to see others results in the same test.
I got 17. Most of the photos were meaningless to me, although I was able to eliminate one or two of the choices most of the time. As far as I was concerned, it was mostly guesswork. A few I was able to get easily.

Last time I completed this was in January 2018.
I got 34.

I sent the link to my NT friend. She got 28.
Her employment includes having been a social worker.
But her experience does not include having taken any college level
art classes. I have.

I told her that I'd used a strategy.

Instead of thinking "What do these people look like they're feeling?"
I asked myself "What is this a picture of?"

Somehow that made it not difficult.

Actually, I wonder ……………. I think most of us can do pretty well with recognizing expressions. We've spent a lot of our lives studying them and figuring them out, after all. We see someone's expression, we often go through a thought process - what is that expression? Associate it with the situation - what's happening to that person to cause the expression? Yes, we recognize when someone is angry, we've seen it too many times and want to run. Even cartoons are good at facial expressions, so we're learning from day one. But recognizing the expression is very different than knowing the correct way to respond. So I don't think this is really a good method to measure someone's social skills.

I agree with allow of you. Like most tests online, it measures virtually nothing. I was still curious to see what most people would get.

I think that being able to decipher the emotion conveyed, without other stimuli that can interfere, and having enough time to think about the answer, can't even get close to estimate the ability to understand emotions in social settings.

I agree with allow of you. Like most tests online, it measures virtually nothing. I was still curious to see what most people would get.

True. They establish benchmarks of a sort as "tools", but they are not intended to be a replacement for comprehensive diagnostic processes. Though in my own case I've always been aware of the possibility of misunderstanding facial expressions.

It happens. :oops:

Last edited:
If it weren't multiple choice, I would have no idea what to say for the majority of them. Do you think that's the case for people in general?

Since it is multiple choice, I got 33. Most of the time it didn't make sense to me, but I knew it wasn't the others.

I got 32 out of 36, but I've done tests just like this before, under different names. Also I figured a lot of them out by process of elimination - if it wasn't a multiple choice test, I wouldn't have done as well.

I scored 25 out of 36...supposedly equal to or better than 36% of participants.

I had no idea what I was doing most of the time. I kept thinking "that looks like so and so" or "wow she's wearing a lot of eyeshadow" but I got almost no meaningful information from the facial expressions.

I think I only scored as high as I did because it was multiple choice. If I'd been asked to fill in an answer on my own I am certain I would have gotten fewer than 10 correct. Probably fewer than 5. Probably 0. Usually the emotion I thought was being expressed at first glance wasn't one of the answers, so I had to pick one.

This legit felt like looking at a wall and trying to figure out what it is thinking or feeling. I just have no clue. It was more stressful than I thought it would be.

Instead of thinking "What do these people look like they're feeling?"
I asked myself "What is this a picture of?"

That was my approach too.

My score - 31. Most questions answered via process of elimination.

I agree with the comments about multiple choice. Without that, I'd have probably scored zero!

I got 29/36, supposedly better than 74% of participants.
The strategy I employed later on into the questions, was to observe if the person was looking directly at you or to the left or right, then it is easier to differentiate between more "confident" emotions rather than the other ones. Another one was to look at the eyebrows, which largely allowed me to determine the severity and polarity of the emotions listed in the choices.

31/36

"Your score is equal or better than 89% of all participants".

However, I remember seeing these exact images before when taking a test that told me whether my answer was right or wrong each time I picked an option. So I must admit that I went by memory on a good portion of these. I'm surprised that I remember so many. Not all though (as you can see by the score).

Generally, I tend to find tone more difficult to judge compared to deciphering facial expressions.

New Threads

Top Bottom