• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social burnout at the Sans Bar

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I attended the Sans Bar again but the experience this time around was disappointing. Even leading up to getting there, things weren’t going good. The traffic was extremely slow to the point it felt painful constantly stepping on the gas then stopping on the interstate. This made the drive longer than necessary. I also found out the hard way that a campaign kick off for a county clerk hopeful was at the place and it was packed with a lot of people even more than the Halloween party. I only recognized two people and didn’t get to talk to them much because they kept mingling with the other goers. I felt anxious and my sensory issues kicked in very hard. My ears now hurt and my feet are aching. This made me feel unmotivated to talk to new people and the fact others were already deep in conversation didn’t help. I didn’t have the mental endurance to join in.

Sensory overload uuugghh. I hate when that happens.

Indeed. I even had to tell a friend who’s such a dang worry wart and calls at the worst times I needed to hang up. His voice was annoying me both because my ears were burning and he always brings up impulsive plans.

I think I am also experiencing PTSD-like symptoms. I never liked it when my parents dragged me to social events where only strangers were around me. At least I can leave on my own since I have a vehicle.

This is progress. You were able to talk about your feelings, you had an exit plan, and you labeled your sensory issues. This is taking command and handling yourself in a very mature way. By the way, you didn't blame yourself or others, you worked thru your thoughts. It does get easier, sometimes you can flake out but it will come faster and easier.

By the way, you are a success story. Becoming more in touch with yourself and how you feel makes you a better person and more open to healthier relationships , be it friends or more serious.

Still, you tried under very hard circumstances. Even then you seem to have tried talking to people you recognized when the vibe seemed to be about mingling. Yeah, noisy places also seem to increase the level of my anxiety and then if it is crowded I feel like there is no safe space. Still, you are understanding what you like, what your style is, and that is valuable to know.

You're working on becoming the cool regular at the barroom, and well not every night at the bar is exactly great--

Sensory overload sucks but you will do better next time around. I'm certain of it mainly because you've been doing great lately.

Indeed. I even had to tell a friend who’s such a dang worry wart and calls at the worst times I needed to hang up. His voice was annoying me both because my ears were burning and he always brings up impulsive plans.

I think I am also experiencing PTSD-like symptoms. I never liked it when my parents dragged me to social events where only strangers were around me. At least I can leave on my own since I have a vehicle.

My big drainer is bright lights. And then once something has drained and overstimulated you, everything goes downhill. But you bring a getaway car. That’s very smart. The key is to be able to flee whenever you need to.

New Threads

Top Bottom