• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Awkwardness Seems To Be Getting Worse

Desiree W

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. I’ve been working a hectic schedule in retail. I’m trying to get out of retail, but right now it’s paying the bills. I really feel like I don’t belong in retail anymore though. I have a no nonsense attitude. I do my job and go home. I used to be more outgoing years ago, but now I’ve been feeling like I don’t want to have to entertain people (mainly coworkers) if I don’t want to. Sometimes, social awkwardness really makes me feel uncomfortable. I’m mostly quiet at work, but sometimes I’m in the mood to talk. My ideal career choices are the tech industry, medical office, holistic medicine. I’m very passionate about helping people maintain good health and making the world/environment a better place.

Outside of work, I just hang out with family. My old friends live in other cities and I hardly ever see them. Even though I prefer solitude, I long to make new friends again. I want to hang out sometimes, but not hangout EVERY SINGLE DAY. I don’t need to talk to people every day. It’s just not in my personality. The weird thing is many years ago, I was more outgoing and I had no clue about being on the spectrum. However, now that I’m older, I’m quieter. Hopefully, I can find a happy medium in all this. It would be nice to socialize without being obligated to being to entertain every moment of the day.

Yeah the burn out thing.

Getting tired from working too many hours tends to render me having more stims.

Maybe a change in your job will help.

My job is basically low stress and no f2f socializing. I don't have to deal with office politics. And the group stuff-- I went to a picnic for a half hour but said no to the dinner parties.

I have read and started a discussion before on this very thing - that traits in females tend to worsen as we become older. I noticed that in myself.

Is it possible you're just burned out? It's not uncommon for more extroverted people to shift to more introverted as they get older.

I agree. I have friends who seem to get energy from social events - the more people the better. I get drained from social events. That doesn’t mean I avoid them all - it just means I need some quiet time to prepare beforehand and recharge afterward.

I’m not sure I’ve been to a social event as ‘myself’
(Because ‘myself’ would likely choose not to be at social functions for work and other organisation or group events)

The downside to not being myself at work and social events meant I had to keep up the act I’d been putting on.
Perhaps we all know how that goes.

The more positive, confident and funnier one is, the more time people want to spend with you.
It gets claustrophobic.

I never knew how to explain needing space to recharge or brain too tired to speak.
I think I confused colleagues with what may have appeared to be mood swings?
When in fact it was burn out due to performance.

If only I knew then what I know now :)

Yeah the burn out thing.

Getting tired from working too many hours tends to render me having more stims.

Maybe a change in your job will help.

My job is basically low stress and no f2f socializing. I don't have to deal with office politics. And the group stuff-- I went to a picnic for a half hour but said no to the dinner parties.

What job do you have? I had to quit a part time job because I physically and mentally couldn't handle the social interactions. I would like to get a part time job during my college summer break, but don't know where to find one that would work for me. I just can't function after being "on" all day.

I agree with being burned out. I really am burned out from the retail industry. My first retail job for a big retail company was in 1997. I've had office jobs in between, but they were mainly with temp agencies. However, I recently enrolled at a community college so I have high hopes for a new and better future. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom