• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So much going on

Dillon

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on here since I’m trying to get through life the best I can despite it being tough at times. I am nearing the end of my spring college semester which I am so greatful for because instead of living on campus like I have been for a year and a half I will by fall semester be getting my first apartment. Living on campus has been horrible and depressing for me given the fact I have no car or transportation to go anywhere even for the remainder to this semester besides my family coming at times from 4-5 hours away when I can go anywhere.

I will finally be getting my first car during the summer while organizing what I need for an apartment that’s 20 minutes away from the school. It will be only me living by myself which is what I really need since I am so sick of roommates for once. I’ve been through 3 and this one I have currently is the last straw; I won’t go into details about or arrogant and what a jerk he is but knowing he gets irritated by my snoring that a couple weeks ago he slapped me across my face while I was sleep. I told someone who are in charge of housing and the guy thought was being “sensitive” about that and some other problems I had with just living on campus.

I’m fixing to go on 23 in less than a week and the thing I get tired of is the immaturity of people such as 18-19 year olds bring alcohol into their rooms when it’s a dry campus and kids just screaming down the hallways to the point I never really stay in my room. For the past year I felt like I was going to lose my sanity just living on campus...however I finally feel some relief when signing my lease to my apartment the other day knowing things are going to get better.

I’ve been dealing with that and also planning out to maybe go out to Florida over the summer since I was just offered an internship at the Marine Laboratory working in the area of fisheries and ecological enchancent. I feel like this will be a wonderful 10-week experience over the summer given the fact I had meet one of the scientist I will be working with on a individual based project and learned a lot. only thing holding me back is finances.

I currently have no job and depend on financial aid form school to live on so I’ve been saving money from that for a car and rent for an apartment. The internship does not provide housing so I would have to find my own housing and with me not having a car during that time it will be more difficult. When I met the person I will be working with she went over what I will be doing but like for an hour.

Honestly I do not understand at all what I’m suppose to be doing since I’m going to be messing with electrical work and trouble shooting equipment on commercial vessels. I feel like this area is not in my best interest because I absolutely have no idea what I am doing besides going out to one of the ports near my school which I would have to take an Uber to get to where I need to be and survey a commercial fishing vessel where cameras were set up that were recording bycatch from long Lines and data gets collected on a hard drive in a processor I guess. I felt like I did not get enough training (only like an hour) that I kind of freaked out if I’m going to be called out this coming week to go out there and observe cause again I have no idea what I am doing at all. I’m also in charge with trouble shooting electrical equipment like processors and stuff that I have no idea what I’m looking for.

For the financial reason and getting organized for living on my own, I feel like I should decline the whole thing and not do it at all but I feel like I would be letting my family down and the people at the Laboratory if I did that. It’s been quite a mess these past few weeks to the point I feel like I need some guidance with almost everything at the moment.

So this is what I’ve been dealing with lately

If you don't feel like you can do it financially, then you can't do it. Don't worry about who you might disappoint - if they could come up with a way for you to be able to, then great. But it sounds like you're doing great (except for the roommate thing. The slap was assault and not allowed regardless of the reason.). Keep up the good work - so proud of you. :)
Oh - thanks for letting us know how things are going.

@Dillon Campbell
I think having your own apartment will be a huge plus for you. I completely get the roommate deal. Not for me either. It is absolutely horrible to not feel safe, secure, free to be you and calm in your own home. If we Aspies can't let our own personal "freak flags" fly there, then where can we? I am not in your shoes but the internship sounds awesome! Terrifying also, I get that. I would be scared too, but as a soon to be 42 year old who only dabbled in colleg(couldn't or wouldn't do the speeches) I say go for it. Marine biology was always one of my interests. There will be trials and errors as with anything. As far as all the electrical mumbo jumbo, be honest about what you know and don't know. In my experience people respect that. No one is going to expect you to go save a " sinking ship" after one hour of training and if they do that's their bad, not yours. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but opportunity only knocks so often. You're 23. It is a known fact( amongst us older fellas here) that as you age your balls shrivel. True fact. I say go for it. If you don't you may regret it forever. Working with animals. Probably a dream job for a lot of us here. Chase your dreams while you can. Too many of us let fear rule our lives. Be that guy who doesn't. Very easy for me to type out on my phone as I'm sitting on my ass. I wish you the best whatever you decide. I applaud your cojones for even considering the move. Animals dude. Some people for sure, but animals. If not then what? Cubicles? People? Yuck. Go balls out. Honestly.

Do not literally let your balls hang out. That will land you in jail or possibly get your ass kicked. I meant your proverbial balls. I felt a need to clarify. Sorry if I typed balls too much, but even all the ladies on this forum have them too. Proverbially. Balls out folks. Balls out. I should take my own advice more often. Spring is a comin. I think I need to shop for a Speedo.

No worries. I've been gone for a long time when life happens too. Sounds like things are going in the right direction.

No job is going to be an exact template of what you were previously trained to do. Besides they know it's an internship, you're just starting out, not a trained professional. You should be shown a lot of things to become familiar, and have a lot of questions and learn a lot.

Everyone has the first day jitters at work. Just go in there and learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll gain a lot of respect for that. Most of all good luck though I'm sure you'll be fine.

New Threads

Top Bottom