• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So I Installed an Adblock Extension

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
I got annoyed at ads so I finally turned on adblock. Chrome sends ads through freaking desktop notifications, the only way to prevent this properly is with adblock. I still get notifications for other things, though.

You can turn those off (the Notifications and pop ups at the top left asking if you want them when you visit certain sites like Facebook or Youtube).

Go to: Chrome Settings (either the 3 dots or chrome://settings in the address bar) > Privacy & Security > Site Settings > Notifications > Click the Button and it'll say ""Blocked"

It never worked for me it appears to be my torment in life ,I emailed Steve Zuckerberg Facebook marketplace drives me nuts!

Some sites, mostly video streaming, won't work with adblock turned on, but it's easy to disable for any one particular site.

I use Ublock origins for Firefox. It's the best ad blocker you can get. I've tried the all and nothing compares. I think Ublock origins is only available for the Firefox browser but check and see if it's available for Chrome, it might be.

I can't stand ads and use Ublock Origins for Firefox. What I like about it is that you can customize it - you can select any element that bugs you and block it yourself. For example, those friend or group suggestions on Facebook. Now, on Facebook, I only have on the page things I actually want to see.

I also have a gif blocker, gifs are another thing that drive me mad, and a cookie notice blocker.

Edit: I really wish I could find an adblocker for Android that actually works and stops ads in apps. The ads drive me mad. I'd use ads far more if I had an adblocker that worked. Though I am aware of the fact that people need/want to make money from advertising and that I'm cheating the system by wanting to remove the ads, and that I can often pay in order not to have them. Perhaps they are a necessary evil of capitalism. Most of the time I just want to try though, but find them too frustrating to use because of the in-your-face ads and so end up uninstalling or not using them.

Last edited:
You can turn those off (the Notifications and pop ups at the top left asking if you want them when you visit certain sites like Facebook or Youtube).

Go to: Chrome Settings (either the 3 dots or chrome://settings in the address bar) > Privacy & Security > Site Settings > Notifications > Click the Button and it'll say ""Blocked"
Thing is: They are from sites that I have never visited, or rarely visit at all.

Wait, there are people that browse the internet WITHOUT using adblockers of some sort? That's completely incomprehensible to me.

Seriously, I cant imagine tolerating pretty much any site out there without one. I tell ya, if adblockers were to suddenly vanish tomorrow off the face of the internet, I'd just launch the modem like a Frisbee into the nearest pond. Wouldnt need it anymore, after all.

I use Ublock origins for Firefox. It's the best ad blocker you can get. I've tried the all and nothing compares. I think Ublock origins is only available for the Firefox browser but check and see if it's available for Chrome, it might be.

uBlock Origin is indeed available for Chrome.

uBlock Origin

uBlock Origin is indeed available for Chrome.

uBlock Origin

It's a useful one, too.

Adblockers sure aint perfect. I find it best to use multiple layers of them... what one might have trouble with, another might stop. I have three seperate ones running just on Chrome alone, and then Norton's additions to it as well.

Needless to say, I never see any ads anywhere 99% of the time. Particularly on Youtube. Youtube is why I got adblockers in the first place.

I have AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, and Ghostery.

Just wait until sites block you with a popup that says they won't let you view the site until you disable your adblocker. (completely infuriating!!!!) Usually it's news sites.

I have AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, and Ghostery.

Just wait until sites block you with a popup that says they won't let you view the site until you disable your adblocker. (completely infuriating!!!!) Usually it's news sites.
I've found a number of situations where I can't see something on my phone, for reasons like yours, but I can see it on my laptop. I don't have a Twitter account, so it won't show me tweets on my phone, but no problem on the laptop. I've white listed a handful of sites on the laptop so they'll display OK on the laptop.

Since we're talking about extensions, this one for Chrome might come in handy as well. It stops videos from auto-playing, if that sort of thing irritates you. These extensions aren't perfect, no, but they do work fairly well for the most part.

Combined with uBlock Origin, I haven't had capitalism or BREAKING NEWS RIGHT NOW shoved in my face anymore.

Since we're talking about extensions, this one for Chrome might come in handy as well. It stops videos from auto-playing, if that sort of thing irritates you. These extensions aren't perfect, no, but they do work fairly well for the most part.

Combined with uBlock Origin, I haven't had capitalism or BREAKING NEWS RIGHT NOW shoved in my face anymore.

I have that one. Unfortunately it only blocks probably 50% of videos, and usually they're the ones I want to see. The news sites etc that like to autoplay videos (sometimes more than one at once) use something other than HTML5 and the blocker doesn't stop them.

I don't go online without an Adblocker for Firefox and Chrome On Android mobile Firefox supports ublock origin extension. Also kiwi browser for Android supports adblocking. YouTube Vancid sideload stops ads on YouTube You still might get an occasional banner ad in the app and those annoying yellow markers but the ads don't play

I have these add-ons (honestly, it's mostly just the Recommended add-ons in the store) :

Adblocker for YouTube
uBlock Origin (using the Element Zapper to remove any Social Media Links on the page)
Facebook Container
Disconnect
Ghostery
HTTPS Everywhere
Privacy Badger
Tracking Token Stripper

Browser Settings (again, nothing earth-shattering) :
Disallow third-party cookies and turn off trackers in all windows
Enable Do Not Track Requests
Block Trackers in all Windows
Default to Private Windows, then clear Cookies and Data upon Closing -- this should get around the number of articles per day on most news websites (I noticed the NYT now blocks all private windows), and turns it to the number of articles per session.

Behind the Overlay removes any annoying front screens, including the ones that ask for a subscription -- although some (like the NYT) seem to have gotten smarter and stop scrolling or showing additional info.

Bloody Vikings! gives a list of legitimate burner email sites to cut down on spam, etc.

I also have NoScript and default to having all Javascript turned off, but sometimes it takes some tinkering to fix the website.

New Threads

Top Bottom