• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

snow and sensory issues

thickpeen

Karasene, Karasel, Karamel, Karabear
Don't know if this is the right forum to post this in but I figured I might as well ask. It's been snowing all day where I am and whenever it snows, it's incredibly hard for me to do anything because the light reflecting off of it is more overwhelming for me than for the NTs in my life. I generally don't have many sensory issues but it's pretty bad during this time of year and I don't really know how to handle the overload. Does anyone have any tips?

Sunglasses are my friend.

I long ago abandoned trying to adjust the environment to suit me.("Why's it so dark in here, sidd?" Click, click-click, click. "There! Now you can see!")
My standard dress now is sunglasses and a boonie hat. Everywhere.

I also don't leave home without earbuds--- they make outstanding earplugs and visible conversation discouragers.
Most times that I have them in, I'm not listening to anything, just muffling the sounds of people that believe that the louder they are, the more real they are.

These two accommodations/accoutrements make the world a far less hostile environment for me.

I know what you mean, but where I live in Southern Europe it very rarely snows. I have a similar problem in summer with the glare of sunlight off whitewashed buildings. I draw the curtains when there is a lot of glare outside, and if I need to go out, I wear sunglasses. I would do the same on a snowy day, but like I said, this rarely happens.

However, I need some light to work and want to be able to see out the window, and if I have no or low light, it affects my mood, so I leave a gap in the curtains to let some light in and for me to see out. On rainy days, I open the curtains.

Last edited:
I can't even stand the glare from the snow outside. Very intrusive, causing me to eventually close all the blinds, curtains, etc..

And I can't imagine being without sunglasses when venturing outside. Instant headache without them. :eek:

Sometimes the snow is blinding, but we can go for weeks here without seeing the sun. Gets depressing. When the sun does come out, it's a mood booster. I always leave my blinds open because I like a connection to the outside even if the weather is not friendly to be outside.

I agree with the others, sounds like you need sunglasses.

New Threads

Top Bottom