• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Smells you hate, but most people love

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
For me, I hate the smell of the outdoors on people's clothes: more prominent on a rainy day. I hate the smell of newly cut grass and flowers.

But, it seems I am the only one.

Wine

Tequila

Fried foods/food being fried

Gingerbread

Leather

Cigarettes/ Cigars

Perfume/ Cologne (although, I like scented oils of various types)

Last edited:
I suppose you're right. I, somehow, have always assumed that people who smoke them, like the way they smell.
I suppose so. I can't speak from personal experience here, but I think that they become desensitized to it and don't notice it so much. I've heard smokers who have quitted say that they don't like the smell.

Tobacco - as someone who quit smoking I hate the smell.

Perfume/cologne - when applied too liberally and I can't stand Perfume departments in stores. Always had to run through them as fast as possible.

(Over)Laundered baby/children's clothes - they smell SO much, do people drench them in detergent??

Dogs - unless bathed every day after walks, dogs reek. I like dogs, but they smell bad.

Ah, leather, that's one I wouldn't have thought of. I don't have to smell it that often. "Smell the leather", good name for a band? haha. XD

Perfumes/colognes too.
I can deal with a reasonable amount of deodorant.

Scampi/prawn flavour snacks.

Scampi flavour snacks mixed with perfume/cologne. :tongueclosed:

Interesting answers, but I am thinking more about what is common to enjoy.

I hear all the time, that the smell of gardening and freshly cut grass is a wonderful smell and it makes me wretch and see people smelling flowers and all I can smell is a rancid odour!

I stop smelling most smells after seconds even if it's so intense that other people start coughing, but also appearantly still manage to smell many things much earlier. Most smells I hate are the kind where I do not stop smelling them.

I will instead give you a smell I enjoy that most people hate. I have an unexplainable fondness for a skunks scent. Hate the smell of opossum and can smell them from hundreds of yards away.

A lot of people would tell me they liked the smell after a rain, but all I could ever smell after a rain were worms. And I don't like the smell of puppy's breathe or puppy other puppy smells. I hate the smell of most perfumes, but like the smell of most men's colognes. I hate coffee and don't like the smell of fresh brewed coffee, but I do like the smell of fresh ground coffee.

Many food smells, mostly salad dressings. I don't even want to eat in the same room as people using salad dressing. Cigarettes and alcohol. I think wine smells like puke.

Any animal smells at all. Pets, farms, zoos, fish. The smell of rain, as it often smells like the fish in the big lake it just came from.

Most colognes and perfumes, but I do like the perfume called Ready.

The smell of Spring. All the dead animals and animal poop that have been preserved in snow and ice for months all become exposed at once to rot. And skunks come out of hibernation in droves.

I don’t like New Car Smell that everyone else loves.
Anything with the description as Tropical or Hawaiian.
Children.

New Threads

Top Bottom