• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Small Food Victory!

Oda a la Tormenta

I have been stuck in a rut for months on the same foods. I perseverate on certain ones, and cycle through them according to my routine, and lately I've been very very stuck. More so than usual for me. I've been able to count on my hand the foods I'll eat and if they aren't available, I just won't until I'm able, even if it means skipping...much to the chagrin of my husband and family. I know this isn't healthy(logically anyways) but I just can't bring myself to eat what I don't want and I can't get past it most days. Again being new to possible to diagnosis, I blamed this cycle on my worsening depression or being "quirky with food" as I will try new things at times... but now know that this habit I've had over the course of my life could be linked to Aspergers.

Onto my small victory ☺️

I seem to have broken a bit out of this cycle and wanted food that was outside those I've been stuck to in this particular round. This is small I know, but encouraging nonetheless.

Thanks for listening ☺️

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you've expanded your current food options, even if it's just by a bit.

I've been stuck on certain foods lately, and would rather not eat than eat outside of the defined range, so I can certainly relate to that. I've noticed the cycles adapt to my lifestyle: if I'm on extended time off, and can't cook, that's when my eating is the most monotonous & when I'm most likely to skip meals or snack on beige foods. If I have a strict routine, I manage to define a food routine too (and it usually involves certain cuisines on certain days for lunch, and the exact same homemade dinner cooked on Sunday to keep me going between Monday & Thursday. Friday is wild card night, cooking what I'm in the mood for or occasionally treating myself.

i personally think we have weak stomachs thats why we have problems eating
my diet as a child was very little vegetables almost like a toddler til i was 15 then the floodgates opened
I
have been stuck in a rut for months on the same foods. I perseverate on certain ones, and cycle through them according to my routine, and lately I've been very very stuck. More so than usual for me. I've been able to count on my hand the foods I'll eat and if they aren't available, I just won't until I'm able, even if it means skipping...much to the chagrin of my husband and family. I know this isn't healthy(logically anyways) but I just can't bring myself to eat what I don't want and I can't get past it most days. Again being new to possible to diagnosis, I blamed this cycle on my worsening depression or being "quirky with food" as I will try new things at times... but now know that this habit I've had over the course of my life could be linked to Aspergers.

Onto my small victory ☺️

I seem to have broken a bit out of this cycle and wanted food that was outside those I've been stuck to in this particular round. This is small I know, but encouraging nonetheless.

Thanks for listening ☺️

I am pathetic on eating the same food over and over. I do it so I don't get upset stomach hopefully...
Plus it just doesn't bother me to eat the same thing all the time...
It drives people around me mad...

Even worse... I cant stand my food to touch on my plate>OCD. I know it all gets chomped up and goes to the same place, but I only eat one thing at a time... Its gross to me to have a mixed mush in my mouth. My dad used to get so mad over this, but it has still never went away. I'm a food nightmare, and it causes lots of issues when people try to shove stuff on me that I don't like, or want. If I say thank you, but no thank you... how do people not take that as a NO? Why should that start an argument? It shouldn't, but it does.

I try and make small changes, but I just go back to what I am familiar with. I fix good tasty meals, but its like the same few over and over. It makes for easy fast grocery shopping, but most things are from right here - farm to fork. : )

be careful i started to eat too much of one thing when i was younger and i've paid for it!!! if you can eat very little meat try to!
for some reason my immune system was strong when i was a vegan.
look at eating food that is different as an adventure and will protect you from constipation .
eat tomatoes and bananas they are the energy foods- loads of potassium ,also apples, green peppers- they have a chemical that strengthens the immune system called quercetin .
I am pathetic on eating the same food over and over. I do it so I don't get upset stomach hopefully...
Plus it just doesn't bother me to eat the same thing all the time...
It drives people around me mad...

Even worse... I cant stand my food to touch on my plate>OCD. I know it all gets chomped up and goes to the same place, but I only eat one thing at a time... Its gross to me to have a mixed mush in my mouth. My dad used to get so mad over this, but it has still never went away. I'm a food nightmare, and it causes lots of issues when people try to shove stuff on me that I don't like, or want. If I say thank you, but no thank you... how do people not take that as a NO? Why should that start an argument? It shouldn't, but it does.

I try and make small changes, but I just go back to what I am familiar with. I fix good tasty meals, but its like the same few over and over. It makes for easy fast grocery shopping, but most things are from right here - farm to fork. : )

I have been stuck in a rut for months on the same foods. I perseverate on certain ones, and cycle through them according to my routine, and lately I've been very very stuck. More so than usual for me. I've been able to count on my hand the foods I'll eat and if they aren't available, I just won't until I'm able, even if it means skipping...much to the chagrin of my husband and family. I know this isn't healthy(logically anyways) but I just can't bring myself to eat what I don't want and I can't get past it most days. Again being new to possible to diagnosis, I blamed this cycle on my worsening depression or being "quirky with food" as I will try new things at times... but now know that this habit I've had over the course of my life could be linked to Aspergers.

Onto my small victory ☺️

Thanks for listening ☺️

Yeah. I do this Aspie thing big time. I am probably worse than most of you because I will eat the same food for every meal and snacks too. I have done this to the extent that I have become allergic to some of these foods, so you might want to vary your diets as much as you can stand. Otherwise you might become allergic to your favorites and will no longer get to eat them without getting sick. :eek: (Voice of experience.) :confused:

I have been fairly successful in eating more variety, but have binges once in a while.

Yeah. I do this Aspie thing big time. I am probably worse than most of you because I will eat the same food for every meal and snacks too. I have done this to the extent that I have become allergic to some of these foods, so you might want to vary your diets as much as you can stand. Otherwise you might become allergic to your favorites and will no longer get to eat them without getting sick. :eek: (Voice of experience.) :confused:

I have been fairly successful in eating more variety, but have binges once in a while.
Wait, what?
I can't become allergic to rice. I like rice too much. Every type of rice (except a particular one that smells like sweaty feet and is too wet and sticky no matter what).

Wait, what?
I can't become allergic to rice. I like rice too much. Every type of rice (except a particular one that smells like sweaty feet and is too wet and sticky no matter what).

I am not certain that one can become allergic to rice. It might be a good idea to check on it. I suspect it is possible, though. I think people can be allergic to just about anything. I had some unusual medical allergies that some MDs insisted were not possible, so they ignored what I said about it. Naturally, I paid for their idiocy.

be careful i started to eat too much of one thing when i was younger and i've paid for it!!! if you can eat very little meat try to!
for some reason my immune system was strong when i was a vegan.
look at eating food that is different as an adventure and will protect you from constipation .
eat tomatoes and bananas they are the energy foods- loads of potassium ,also apples, green peppers- they have a chemical that strengthens the immune system called quercetin .

Thank you, I like most fruits and vegetables, turkey and beef (jerky mostly)... I take good quality vitamins and digestive enzymes. Dairy stuff and wheat products is mostly off limits, it makes me very sick (physically).
Just the smell of sour cream or cottage cheese... Its stupid but it makes me want to throw up and I have to fight to not do that... gives me shivers to even think about it. : )

remember an allergy can stop! if you rest your g.i tract from overindulgence your liver can recover from the inflammation
but nature is slow and don't go back to just eating white rice eat a diversity basmati ,brown, wild and protein fish if your stomach is weak
herbs oregano is a natural anti fungal ,thyme is the iron herb ,parsley for indigestion ,garlic is a natural antibiotic also kills intestinal worms,sage- sore throats ,onion eat raw if possible more potent- huge amount of vit c
Wait, what?

remember an allergy can stop! if you rest your g.i tract from overindulgence your liver can recover from the inflammation
but nature is slow and don't go back to just eating white rice eat a diversity basmati ,brown, wild and protein fish if your stomach is weak
herbs oregano is a natural anti fungal ,thyme is the iron herb ,parsley for indigestion ,garlic is a natural antibiotic also kills intestinal worms,sage- sore throats ,onion eat raw if possible more potent- huge amount of vit c
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Actual food allergies aren't caused by overindulgence. A real allergy does not go away because you stop indulging for a bit. That's just not how the immune system works. Food allergies don't typically inflame your liver either.

I have no idea as to why intolerances, allergies, or smells affect anyone.
I only know that when my guts are angry it's a miserable life. I just try and keep it simple just to hopefully not have to deal with it so much.

I'm not sure but it seems lots of ASD people struggle with gut issues.

I have no problems trying certain new things in my own timing... I just get upset when people force stuff on me in front of other people... My wife seems to do this on purpose and I'm not sure why?

In some weird way I think my gut is linked to how I (we) think...
it produces the energy, enzymes, chemicals, that our brain sends and receives signals with... if our gut isn't functioning correctly then it's not a far jump to say our brain isn't getting what it needs to function in an optimum state either... just me overthinking I'm guessing : )

I only know that when my guts are angry it's a miserable life. I just try and keep it simple just to hopefully not have to deal with it so much.

I have no problems trying certain new things in my own timing... I just get upset when people force stuff on me in front of other people... My wife seems to do this on purpose and I'm not sure why?

it produces the energy, enzymes, chemicals, that our brain sends and receives signals with... if our gut isn't functioning correctly then it's not a far jump to say our brain isn't getting what it needs to function in an optimum state either... just me overthinking I'm guessing : )
I think you're onto something.
All my life I've had stomach problems with unknown causes. I'm allergic to butter but not dairy(something to do with the enzyme breakdown the doc said?) . I just went through a host of diagnostic gastro tests that revealed nothing. I've tried changing diets, eating paleo, vegetarian as I do like foods within those categories but I get stuck in ruts within them and cannot sustain as they need to be quite varied to sustain.

I think I also get into patterns because I know it won't agitate my stomach...also the texture sits well... I like the taste. Ect. Ect.

Round and round it goes. So what you said makes perfect sense to me, even if you are just brainstorming. ;)

I am not certain that one can become allergic to rice. It might be a good idea to check on it. I suspect it is possible, though. I think people can be allergic to just about anything. I had some unusual medical allergies that some MDs insisted were not possible, so they ignored what I said about it. Naturally, I paid for their idiocy.
Like when people say I cannot possibly be allergic to butter and still eat dairy...it is quite possible...and even the doc agrees...which I found humorous. Like I said in my above post they said it has to do with the enzyme composition of butter not breaking down in my system. Makes me violently ill. Dairy I am sensitive to but I can eat it...I avoid a lot of it still though as I just don't like how it makes me feel. Sorry if TMI...just thought I would add to your funny tidbit at the end there :D

Adding my voice to the chorus, as I'm dealing with IBS, which definitely plays a role in the eating patterns: I will favor food that doesn't upset my stomach and intestines.

Oh, and I have this weird thing that's not digestive, my throat fills with some kind of mucus every time I have milk or dairy, and when I say everytime... if potato chips have milk protein in them, I will be able to tell 'thanks' to that even if there is no particular taste. I have a dairy detector.
Actually wait, maybe it's just acid reflux, so... maybe digestive after all?

Adding my voice to the chorus, as I'm dealing with IBS, which definitely plays a role in the eating patterns: I will favor food that doesn't upset my stomach and intestines.

Oh, and I have this weird thing that's not digestive, my throat fills with some kind of mucus every time I have milk or dairy, and when I say everytime... if potato chips have milk protein in them, I will be able to tell 'thanks' to that even if there is no particular taste. I have a dairy detector.
Actually wait, maybe it's just acid reflux, so... maybe digestive after all?
I exactly what you mean, about the mucus. Someone I know, has a similar reaction to dairy. When she is eating too much of it...she gets congested. Not instantly like yourself but fairly soon after...and then it stays until she cuts back. It sounds odd but in the human body I feel like anything is possible. It's when patterns emerge that diagnosis can occur yeah? When you just posted that it reminded me of her. I watched her go through that, so I know it's a thing.
Dairy detecting super power!

My mother was raised with "clean your plate" but it did not work with me... she gave up :)

They are discovering that people have much more divergent gene profiles than they ever thought possible... and this extends to foods which we can digest and don't cause us problems.

I went gluten free and I know it has been good for me...

i agree with you; everyone i've ever met with aspergers has an extremely sensitive stomach. they call the gut our second brain... so it would make sense that our guts can easily get out-of-sync just like the rest of our physical bodies often do. :)

just to add, i want to mention that i went vegan recently and i have NEVER felt better before, like EVER

i agree with you; everyone i've ever met with aspergers has an extremely sensitive stomach. they call the gut our second brain... so it would make sense that our guts can easily get out-of-sync just like the rest of our physical bodies often do. :)

just to add, i want to mention that i went vegan recently and i have NEVER felt better before, like EVER

I am trying to go with more and more vegetables, but I do physically still work hard, and I seem to run out of energy faster with just vegetables, so I stay with very lean small portions of meat for now.
I have heard this from lots of people and I believe them... Also I am trying really hard to get away from refined sugar. I know it takes time and its not easy, but I am trying to change things as I can.

New Threads

Top Bottom