• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Slow download speeds on Fibre Broadband from Talk Talk

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
So for the last 2 nights I've been downloading WWE 2K17 on Xbox One, a 45 Gig download, which on a 38 Mb download speed should take, hmm let me work it out, 35 seconds per gig? Oh yeah about 23 minutes for a 45 Gig file? Nope, took most of about 2 hours.

This has been an ongoing problem for a few weeks now, slow downloads, and not just on Xbox either, I've noticed on the PC that some websites such as here and Facebook, the pages take more than a second to load.

Anyway I rang Talk Talk to report this last night, and in the next 72 hours as of last night, they'll run tests on my line to see why I'm not getting the correct speeds.

Has anyone else had this problem? I realise it might be because kids are online during the Holidays, and the World and his dog are online ordering stuff and Facebooking etc, but it shouldn't affect it this much!

Went off TalkTalk 3 or so years ago. I used to get enough bandwidth to stream 1080p 30 FPS videos on YouTube but the bastards must have throttled my speeds, I had to buffer 240p videos! We were with them, then AOL for 8 years, switched over to Plus Net and the problem went away.

Went off TalkTalk 3 or so years ago. I used to get enough bandwidth to stream 1080p 30 FPS videos on YouTube but the bastards must have throttled my speeds, I had to buffer 240p videos! We were with them, then AOL for 8 years, switched over to Plus Net and the problem went away.

Before I changed to Talk Talk about 2 years ago for Fibre, I was on Plus Net ADSL for 2 years, I would've stayed with them for Fibre but they wanted me to have their Landline, so I said no because I don't want the hassle of changing my Landline from Talk Talk, on which nearly all my calls are either free or ridiculously cheap.

I was on AOL (Or as most people call them, AOhell) during the dial up days, and it was painful, I was on a 56k modem and was getting about half that, only time I got the full speed was on a 33.6k modem! And don't even get me started on how useless their technical support Monkeys were and probably still are.

Their support staff are all Indian. I had a hard time trying to understand them, especially since the clarity on phone calls is so crap - something I still don't understand because calls over the internet as so crisp in comparison.

I hear AOL still do the CDs to set up dial up in America. Mainly for old folk I think who want to access The internet on their Windows 98 computers. I think that's also their primary market anyway.

Their support staff are all Indian. I had a hard time trying to understand them, especially since the clarity on phone calls is so crap - something I still don't understand because calls over the internet as so crisp in comparison.

I hear AOL still do the CDs to set up dial up in America. Mainly for old folk I think who want to access The internet on their Windows 98 computers. I think that's also their primary market anyway.

Ah yes, Indian call centres, the bane of my life!

Lol, in the UK at least, support for Windows 98 ended years ago.

And back when I was on AOL, their call centre was Irish, which was a shame because it turned me against the Irish in general, and at the time Mum was working with an Irish woman, who would get upset when I was on a rant about how useless the Irish AOL call centre was.

Average broadband connection speeds don't appear very impressive for Talk Talk whether at peak usage or not versus local competitors. But yeah, at this time of year peak use is bound to be much higher than normal, with so many at home for the holidays.

Broadband Speed Test

Last edited:
Well based on my research last night, I can get a minimum of 64 Mb from Vodafone for £30 a month, and keep my own phone line, I might call down to the shop in Town tomorrow and have a chat with their sales monkeys.

So anyway I rang Talk Talk up this morning to see if they could match or beat the offer from Vodafone, and they said that for £25 I could get up to 76 Mb Fibre but that was without calls, and I kind of need calls, so they said for £35 a month, which works out about 3 quid a month more than my average phone bill, I can get their Fibre Large package, up to 76 Mb Fibre.

Happy Days!

It turns out I'm not being upgraded after all, Talk Talk did a test on my line, and discovered a fault! The Engineer's coming on Tuesday to see whether there is a fault or not, if there isn't, it'll cost me £25 call out charge, if there is, they'll fix it (I hope) and then Dad says we can "discuss" the upgrade.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom