• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sleep habits... or lack of

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
Its 2.45 am.... So it obvious I'm awake when I should be sleeping. This is now 2 nights in a row.

When I sleep, I sleep really well... No bad dreams, no tossing and turning, nothing bad usually. But I have some real sleep issues... One I have mentioned before, its the fear of sleeping (or dying while I sleep). Its kind of been an issue all my life. Maybe this stems back to the very minute I was born... not sure.

I was in trouble and not breathing when I was born, and I tried to quit breathing for a couple of days after. My mom had lots of trouble having me and she nearly didn't make it either, but we did make it... : ) She never got over it...

Freakishly I still scare the hell out of myself. I had a molar pulled 2 weeks ago. I was upset and things were getting a little complicated and the lady said, "Sweets you got to breathe!" I will stop breathing, and then be gasping for air if things go south. Who does that?

My other issue is when my "battery" goes dead... I crash no matter what or where. It makes no difference what time of day or night. Its odd and I spend lots of time trying to figure me out. Basically I don't seem to have the same amount of energy as most people OR I have to use it in very different ways.

Yesterday was great. I worked my butt off and I love doing that. I got lots done and I was proud of myself when the day ended, but there was nothing left. I took a shower and didn't even eat dinner. I sat dawn and I was out. Now here I am. Hungry and ready to go again at the wrong time.

I don't guess there is really anything super wrong with it other than its weird. Once I get my internal clock back, I usually crash about 10 and wake up at 4:44. I like that... but its just not working right now...

Maybe one reason I don't like this so much is just basic fact... It makes me feel more alone than I already feel most of the time. I try to fit into a world that is just alien to me and fail mostly, and then sit and write crap like this wondering what the hell my deal is...
LIFE seems to always be the huge mystery to me.

Anyone have fun times (or not so fun times) sleeping? Or advice to my insanity... : )

I'm up because I went to bed so early. But it works for me as it is usually alone time for me to work on my book.

Anyone have fun times (or not so fun times) sleeping?
It doesn't happen any more, but I used to 'see' things just before I went to sleep, creatures or monsters coming to my bed that I knew weren't real, but nonetheless were scary and had me shouting and leaping up out of bed panicked and terrified.
I often find it hard to sleep because I have racing thoughts, and sleep just doesn't come easily.

I am a light sleeper and wake up easily. I often wake up several times during the night. I wear earplugs to cut out noise.

I have panic attacks about dying and what happens when you die.

It's very common for people on the spectru to have sleeping difficulties or alternative sleep patterns/differently calibrated body clock.

Establishing a strict routine helps, not going to bed if you are not tired, but making yourself get up at a set time in the morning. Also, staying clear of too much stimulation late at night, and not eating late at night, and not dringking anything containing caffeine late at night. Reading helps, but a book or a Kindle, not from a bright screen. Some herbal teas might also help.

Well, and here I am too. I have no excuse because I didn't go to sleep really early like I do some times. I kind of like the alone time too. But I understand that it could add to an already feeling of isolation.
Chance, if you were back on your usual schedule you'd only be getting about 6.5 hours of sleep- that's not that much for some one who does hard physical work like you do. Maybe that's why you run out of juice before you feel you should? Have you ever tried melatonin for sleep? It's natural and works well for some people. Lately I've been reading that adults should get a full 8 hours of sleep if possible.

One Aspie to hold the bulb and two Aspies to turn the ladder... Oh wait thats an Aggie joke... but might apply here, maybe not... : )

One. That kind of thing usually isn’t a problem.

Although it’s always useful to have spares.
Falls do happen and those things are easy to drop.

What's an aggie joke?

I am an "Aggie" I went to Texas A&M university... I did for a while anyway : ) I couldn't afford it, work basically full time and keep my grades... Plus it was just pretty tough for a person like me. Its a great school. I liked it a lot. Its the home of 12 man football... You have to go to a game to understand. If your an Aggie you never sit down. You stand for the game and you kiss your significant other when there is a touch down. I'm not a big football guy. I was Baseball and soil science but its got deep roots all in my family.

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 3.50.08 AM.png

New Threads

Top Bottom