• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Skipping/sidestepping/dancing everywhere

marimbal

I've always sidestepped everywhere at home, in a kind of dance-like way. If I was in my room, and I needed to get to the kitchen, I would almost never walk there normally. I loved feeling the rhythm of my feet, and the feeling of being in the air. I might even do little twirls around corners. I rarely used to do it outside home though - especially after one occasion in school when I was 9 when my older sister told me that her classmates had commented that they saw me skipping through the school (and who presumably told her I was weird).

Lately though, I've found myself doing it more and more. Now that I've moved out of home and live in student halls, there's not as much opportunity to, but if I'm walking through a corridor or if I'm in the communal kitchen by myself, I'll often sidestep or leap around. While walking outside, however, I've started skipping again quite frequently, and it almost becomes a tic sometimes. I'll put in a little shuffle-step while walking, and then once I've done one, I get an incredibly powerful urge to do another one. If I'm going up or down one or two small stairs, I like to do it in a dance-y way, or leap off them somehow. I can't help myself - I just feel so full of energy. It makes it worse when my head is full of music (which is 90% of the time), I feel like I always have to dance to it. Living in the middle of a city means that I'm usually trying to suppress it because I would feel a little odd dancing down a busy street.

I certainly don't tend to see anybody else doing this sort of thing, and I feel like this is a thing you're supposed to leave behind after your childhood. I'm kind of curious to see if anyone else experiences this sort of desire, and whether this could be a kind of stim.

I do it everywhere. It makes me feel happy. For instance, when crossing the street, I usually make a little jump on to the sidewalk instead of just stepping over the curb. I used to feel very self-conscious about this, but it makes me happy, so I don't really care anymore. I only suppress it when I'm on my ward in the hospital. I can bounce about in the hallways, but not when tending to patients because that would feel a little unprofessional to me. Other than that, it's a free for all. I usually have my headphones on, playing music, so I dance about the supermarket. I accidentally did a pirouette while shopping for groceries this morning. People smiled. I smiled. Walking normally is overrated. Skipping, shuffling, swirling about is just more fun.

I definitely agree with your last statements! That's what I tend to say to friends who notice when I happen to do it around them. Where's the fun in walking normally? Why not find interesting new aspects to bring out in everyday movements?

Exactly! I had an inside joke with a friend once, where we would occasionally Zoidberg scuttle out of the room, leaving behind a group of perplexed people (or mildy annoyed friends) :p

To quote the lyrics to the song "Everybody's free to wear sunscreen";

Enjoy your body
use it every way you can...
don't be afraid of it, or what other people think of it
it's the greatest instrument you'll ever own
Dance...even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them

In regards to the random dancing, I often do similar things when I'm at home and sometimes when I'm out and about.
I remember last year on New Year's Eve, I was walking home late and the streets were pretty much deserted, with no cars on the road and no-one around.
Thanks to watching Mary Poppins earlier that day, I had this song stuck in my head and was doing my own little dance to it in the middle of the road almost all the way home.

I probably looked like a total idiot to anyone who saw me, but I couldn't care less. :)

Last edited:
Wow I think that's awesome. You and Bolletje sound like natural dancers-have you ever considered taking dance lessons? I realize you're doing it because it feels good but why not take it further?

Wow I think that's awesome. You and Bolletje sound like natural dancers-have you ever considered taking dance lessons? I realize you're doing it because it feels good but why not take it further?

I'm actually taking a dance elective this term which starts this week (I study music at a conservatoire). I was always pretty good at dance - as long as there are specific written steps for me to follow! I've got a very good sense of rhythm and I'm quite coordinated in that way, so I think it'll be really good for me.

I'm actually taking a dance elective this term which starts this week (I study music at a conservatoire). I was always pretty good at dance - as long as there are specific written steps for me to follow! I've got a very good sense of rhythm and I'm quite coordinated in that way, so I think it'll be really good for me.

Took ballet for years growing up. Always considered the body as an instrument to play music on. Have fun!

I feel the opposite. I would feel ashamed. I don't know why! But I walk very fast and with arms down, etc, looking weirder than if I skipped. Maybe I will try it!

There's a time and place for everything. Sidestep, skip and leap to your heart's content when the situation calls for it. It's your day off? Just walking down the street? Go for it! During a job interview or a funeral, maybe you settle into a normal gait.

I took a few dance classes years back but lacked the money to continue. But funny you should mention it, I'm starting new classes next week :D

I did chuckle a bit at this because I tend to walk into walls EVERYWHERE I go...I don't know why. I CAN NOT walk in a straight line to save my life let alone dance! I wish I could have the talent and courage to dance in public!

I did chuckle a bit at this because I tend to walk into walls EVERYWHERE I go...I don't know why. I CAN NOT walk in a straight line to save my life let alone dance! I wish I could have the talent and courage to dance in public!
To be fair, I'm very clumsy too. I just turn my stumbles into impromptu dance moves in an attempt to look like I totally planned it ;)

Love dancing, always have, and its like a stim for me. Off and on all day at home I dance or I do taekwondo moves, which can be a bit like dance. People rarely question when others dance a little even in public. I snowshoe dance, when people are not looking. I can also do arm and dance moves on my bike, when I'm alone on the bike path:)

I am obsessed with 'dancing around.' My body is a machine, and I like to use that machine in ways that differ from the norm. Moving 'normally' gets boring. Over exaggerating my movements brings an element of fun into the mix. Anyone can take a huge leap forword, miss step, slip and fall face first onto the bathroom sink while trying to dance, putting on mascara. But can someone bounce off metaphorically, literally everything at every second spent alone? I try to perfect my overexaggerated movements. I hope I can get into gymnastics, and get better at skiing, so I can have a type of mastery over my body, so I can act stupidly, with a mastery.
I feel if I don't focus on my body movements, I stumble around a lot. If I am more focused what is within my head, than what I am doing with my body, I leave it to my autopilot system. Whoever programmed the autopilot needs to be fired because autopilot me is an idiot.

Please, refer to the first part of this video for refrence.

I am obsessed with 'dancing around.' My body is a machine, and I like to use that machine in ways that differ from the norm. Moving 'normally' gets boring. Over exaggerating my movements brings an element of fun into the mix. Anyone can take a huge leap forword, miss step, slip and fall face first onto the bathroom sink while trying to dance, putting on mascara. But can someone bounce off metaphorically, literally everything at every second spent alone? I try to perfect my overexaggerated movements. I hope I can get into gymnastics, and get better at skiing, so I can have a type of mastery over my body, so I can act stupidly, with a mastery.
I feel if I don't focus on my body movements, I stumble around a lot. If I am more focused what is within my head, than what I am doing with my body, I leave it to my autopilot system. Whoever programmed the autopilot needs to be fired because autopilot me is an idiot.

Please, refer to the first part of this video for refrence.

Oh that's lovely Voltaic :D I think you should take dance lessons too, LOL!

New Threads

Top Bottom