• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Skateboards & Scooters: Being aware of dangers

In America, some places rally and get a skateboard park for kids. This gives them something to do instead of finding bad things to do. These parks are usually a decent size, are gated, and various ramps. They probably have helmet requirements listed.

Basketball Goal! Those bouncing basketballs will echo all through your house even at a good distance down the street. I feel about basketballs bouncing like you do about skateboards.

It would be wonderful to say that these people grow up and move away lol.

As a former skateboarder, and one of the few girls skateboarding in the late 70s they just don’t bother me except I’m a bit jealous lol, older you get the slower a person will mend after a fall. Miss rollerblading and ice skating too.

Is it your dogs barking? If so, usually saying no loudly with a rolled up newspaper slapped across the floor or your knee will stop this. I never believe in hitting a dog with your hand, but a newspaper will get the point across without even touching them!

If it’s really bad and they are rude - and you want to fight fire with fire then if their path is in front of your house, you could easily “accidentally” spill a couple bags of cat litter across the road (at night in the dark - your only a criminal if you get caught lol) it would make for a nasty speed bump and I could pretty much guarantee they would avoid that area. ;)

It's a liability hazard both on public or private property. At least in the case of skateboard parks, such liability is understood and agreed to by those owning and operating such a business.

I loved my clay-wheeled skateboards as a kid. But then it was a few years before people like Tony Hawk were even born. Back then skateboarding was pretty tame in comparison. But then so were the threat of so many lawsuits.

I used to skate back in the day and have a live and let live attitude about it. It is not a bad or unhealthy activity of itself (outside certain risks in the more dangerous manuvers). It certainly beats drugs or robbing conveinance stores.

;)

Last edited:
On any motorized two-wheel thing, stability is a function of wheel size and weight. Add to that, people not practicing proper safety procedure, and I look upon them as mobile hazards. As it was, riding my Concours, I looked upon any driver on the road as out to kill me and rode accordingly. I strongly doubt that scooter users, especially casual ones, have good situational awareness from lots of travel in various conditions.

On any motorized two-wheel thing, stability is a function of wheel size and weight. Add to that, people not practicing proper safety procedure, and I look upon them as mobile hazards. As it was, riding my Concours, I looked upon any driver on the road as out to kill me and rode accordingly. I strongly doubt that scooter users, especially casual ones, have good situational awareness from lots of travel in various conditions.

You have got the right idea for riding in traffic and surviving. Safety equipment is very important too, particularly a good helmet. My sons and I were active in moto-cross racing for a lot of years. The racers had a name for people who rode without a helmet, "Organ Donors".

I'm not sure about the legalities of road use. But certainly walking around witnessing e scooter use in the city where I live old people, in occasion have been startled

You have got the right idea for riding in traffic and surviving. Safety equipment is very important too, particularly a good helmet. My sons and I were active in moto-cross racing for a lot of years. The racers had a name for people who rode without a helmet, "Organ Donors".
Yes, in rock climbing too, safety should be considered.

The two things that really helped was the intro course by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation when I first started riding. Then a repeat of that using my own larger/heavier bike. Always wore full safety gear, though some on the V-Twins looked at me odly at times. Never had a motorcycling injury.

50bab-1044625795-L.jpg

I'm not against skateboarding in designated parks. But I have skateboarders in the streets and they are very noisy and potentially scary for some people. And a lot of dogs go crazy at skateboarding.

Heritage bosses bar Tiktok skateboarders from riding around Edinburgh Castle
Electric scooters have caused accidents to blind people in the UK and guide dogs for the blind are trying to change the law, I just watch, as an American doctor says in New York when a motorcycle operator is in view ah a donor .

I have rock climbed indoors three times and done Ariel zip slides, I want to try outdoor rock climbing. None of my friends sadly wanted to do a 50 pounds intro course at an indoor rock climbing center with me though

Skateboarding is very loud. It's quite precarious too - back when I used to skate I would love nothing better than to go as fast as I could down the pavement. But one stone under your truck and you go flying.

Scooters definitely seem more popular these days. When I go staffing in the park I notice there's probably half the amount of skateboarders at the skate park compared to scooters. Even less BMXers and I never really see people blading any more.

Still, whilst they can be noisy - I'd happily listen to them, than those delinquents with 125cc dirt bikes and scooters with loud exhausts who shoot up and down the roads all the time. Obnoxious is an understatement.

Ed

Here is a UK newspaper article from a few days ago regarding e-scooters

Have they asked every person in Scotland though? Unlikely. Also I'd be interested to see what age demographic their sample was taken from.

In Cambridge they have e-scooter rentals where you can just take one, and leave it at designated places. They're all over the place. Same with electric bikes that look somewhat like a moped.

Truth be told, you don't have to learn the highway code to use a bicycle or e-scooter. Then again, judging by how a lot of people drive cars and vans - it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. There's plenty of people out there who are a hazard on the roads.

In all honesty I'm not sure if it's more dangerous to use an e-scooter or bike on a pavement or road. Mind you, I'm still of the opinion there's too many people in this world. So if e-scooters help thin the herd, I say let's go

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom