• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Site Accessibility Concern

cfleischmann

V.I.P Member
Hello:

I have attempted to access the site using my iPhone and having the VoiceOver feature turned on to have the content of the screen read to me. When I did this before purchasing the VIP upgrade, the system was very slow and would often times crash safari on said iPhone so I figured I'd buy the VIP account to see if performance improves. While I understand that advertising helps make the site money, my question is why make the site so unusable on a mobile platform with accessibility features turned on because of advertising? If my tests prove right, the next question is why force someone to pay to make the site accessible to them on a mobile device with accessibility features enabled? Just some thoughts

Further I tried to register this account with my work email address but for some strange reason I got told that the email address was banned. I have not registered for this forum using that email address and the email address was created by my corporate IT department when I legally changed my name. So the question there is can I use my work email address and why was it banned in the first place?

Thanks for any answers to the questions above.

Unfortunately, as far as I understand how sites in general work, the administrators dont have control over this... blame the idiots that make the ads themselves, as that's where the problem stems from.

Well, theoretically.

This all is just yet another reason why I tend to use adblockers absolutely everywhere. I've had too many run-ins with ads screwing everything up. Particularly if I'm on my iPad. Bloody browser ends up barely working.... bah.

Unfortunately, as far as I understand how sites in general work, the administrators dont have control over this... blame the idiots that make the ads themselves, as that's where the problem stems from.

Well, theoretically.

This all is just yet another reason why I tend to use adblockers absolutely everywhere. I've had too many run-ins with ads screwing everything up. Particularly if I'm on my iPad. Bloody browser ends up barely working.... bah.

So I am interacting with this site from my iPhone which is having the troubles and my laptop to compare and the difference is night and day with and without the VIP upgrade. So tep! My theiry as to the main concern of the broken iPhone VoiceOver issue was proven right!

But yeah, I’m with you on blame the people who make the adverts as they overburden theur assets with too much crap when all that’s needed is text, maybe a graphic, and some links. Sorry, I’m showing my age here.

I always use an adblock app or browser. Thankfully a kind person gifted me VIP, so it's not such a pain anymore. I mainly access this site from my phone, and it does truly bog down, even with the Adblock browsers.

So I am interacting with this site from my iPhone which is having the troubles and my laptop to compare and the difference is night and day with and without the VIP upgrade. So tep! My theiry as to the main concern of the broken iPhone VoiceOver issue was proven right!

But yeah, I’m with you on blame the people who make the adverts as they overburden theur assets with too much crap when all that’s needed is text, maybe a graphic, and some links. Sorry, I’m showing my age here.
Your problem is Apple products as somebody said to me on this site Apple products are glitchy, I’m using an iPad at the moment and if it wasn’t so expensive I would throw it out the window .
I don’t get a problem with the iPad but that’s only because I paid for the VIP membership ,without that my blood pressure will go through the roof. it’s a good thing once in a while if you use your phone as an Internet browser to just turn it off ,apple Purposely make the battery not to last very long ,wondering about the rest of the gadget, my iPad is dying now thankfully the dictation app has decided it will let me dictate more than one word at a time at the moment. sadly I thought buying an android tablet would cure my problems dictation is crap whatever system you have.

Eh, I always figured that what they need isnt text or graphics, it's a big pile of absolutely freakin' nothing.

....Seriously I hate ads. Accursed demonspawn. I mean, do people actually click on those horrid things?

Could be worse I guess. We could be back to the days of those aggravating smiley ads that go "HELLOOOOOOO" every 3 minutes or so.

Your problem is Apple products as somebody said to me on this site Apple products are glitchy, I’m using an iPad at the moment and if it wasn’t so expensive I would throw it out the window .
I don’t get a problem with the iPad but that’s only because I paid for the VIP membership ,without that my blood pressure will go through the roof. it’s a good thing once in a while if you use your phone as an Internet browser to just turn it off ,apple Purposely make the battery not to last very long ,wondering about the rest of the gadget, my iPad is dying now thankfully the dictation app has decided it will let me dictate more than one word at a time at the moment. sadly I thought buying an android tablet would cure my problems dictation is crap whatever system you have.

Yeah, this pretty much echoes my experience with the iPad mostly.

When I got the thing, and when I got the early model before it, it was great. I used them alot for gaming. All sorts of cool stuff out there if you look hard enough.

But good ol' freaking Apple... the more the thing was allowed to "update", the more bonkers it got. And then they were about to do their "app-pocalypse" thing, and.... just no. No more updates, havent allowed it since.

The device went from this thing I totally loved, to this pile of junk where if it were to completely break today, I wouldnt really care. The thing's main function these days is just being a noisemaker while I sleep... I could easily buy a proper noisemaker or have the phone do it.

Stupid freaking Apple. Wont ever buy something from them again. Not sure I'm going to bother with another tablet anyway.

In general, I don't recommend that people update iOS devices unless you MUST.
The new updates are always written for the newer phones/ipads. Meaning, they are written for better hardware, and higher capacity batteries. They will consistently make an older piece of hardware perform worse and worse until you throw it out and buy a new one. I'm quite sure that is also what they want you to do..
Case in point, I still use an iPhone4. Works great, and it fits in my pocket. :p

As far as ads go. I'm on OSX, and use Little Snitch, which allows you to block particular URLs in particular apps. So I have no ads on this (or any other site) at this point. Unfortunately, due to the (crappy and insecure) architecture of Windows, there is no good equivalent to Little Snitch on Windows.

New Threads

Top Bottom