1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Singer Sia directs "Music" film starring a non-verbal autistic teenager

Discussion in 'Autism Spectrum News, Events and Research' started by Leahcar, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Leahcar

Leahcar Ghost Pokemon Gym Leader in Training ~

Source: Sia discusses “Music,” her feature film directing debut AT afm - Variety

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Sounds interesting, I ll be looking out for this!

3. Leahcar

Leahcar Ghost Pokemon Gym Leader in Training ~

Just to clarify the concept of the film sounds okay on paper, but...Sia casted a neurotypical actress to play the role of the autistic character. Her reaction to criticisms regarding this have been...disheartening
    Source: Sia Goes To War With The Autism Community Over Her New Film ‘Music’ – Deadline

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Esa

Esa Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if it’s Sia who’s going to war. I’m also not sure about the issue here. It’s clearly a film not a documentary. Right? Even in documentaries, people cast actors, as well. I’d be disheartened if I were directing something and people acted like they had a right to decide how I directed it or whom I casted for the parts.
    It’s the first time I’m hearing about this movie, by the way. But it’s hers. I’d be furious if people told me what to do with my business, my work or anything else that’s clearly mine.
    I don’t get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I found out about this because of the uproar.

I watched the trailer...and I was confused by it to say the least. It's just a bunch of shots of the lead character with cutaways to dancing. It's like a bad music video. People have said it's offensive (I guess because they see stereotypes?) but I was fairly unable to parse out what exactly was going on in the trailer to even begin to decide if it's offensive or not. (To be fair, too, what I did see of the lead character reminded me a fair bit of myself in a lot of ways, so the people screaming "that's stereotyped and offensive!" have me wondering if I myself would offend them by my very existence!)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Esa

Esa Well-Known Member

I hadn’t even thought of watching the trailer until I read your comment :) I just watched it now and I don’t know what to expect from the movie. Regardless, I wonder if people are really clueless about all the offensive stuff going on to take the time to be discussing how offended they are by a casting decision for a movie which does not belong to them.

7. Esa

Esa Well-Known Member

And yes, I also think the trailer looks like a bad music video with bad tunes. But I like Sia, and that’s why I don’t know what to expect from that movie.

8. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I am however, very disappointed with her response to the criticism. I actually am not that bothered by the casting decision, but the response to criticism was handled spectacularly poorly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Esa

Esa Well-Known Member

How else could she have handled it? What exactly is disappointing about her response?

10. Soleil

Soleil Well-Known Member

The main thing I want to know is, how many autistic people were involved in writing the autistic character?

What does that mean, exactly? Part of the writing team, or part of the catering team?

11. Esa

Esa Well-Known Member

“Before casting Ziegler” probably means she hired others for the leading part.

I still don’t see the point of this thread.

Her movie. Her decision. How many of the people react calmly when their decisions are criticised by others who don’t even know them?

It’s simply hypocrisy.

12. Aspie_With_Attitude

Aspie_With_Attitude Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I will need to post up a couple of videos I have uploaded in the last week in regards to Sia's upcoming film called "Music".

In this video I discuss in detail the backlash involved when the world wide autism community asked questions about the movie, then she hit back with terrible Tweets that had offended the world wide autism community.

This where I will put my last 2 cents into the controversy with Sia's film "Music" explaining how she lashed out with destructive criticism towards the world wide autism community.