• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Silly things you believed/thought you could do as a kid

Princess Viola

Robotech Forever!
I'd look at my arm and then poke my finger at the top of my eyelid to give myself double vision and thought the double image of my arm I was seeing was my physical body and my soul.

I also didn't realize that the Wayback Machine were just archived snapshots of a website and I'd try to register on different forums and message boards using it in an attempt to seem like I was a much more established user than I was. (Like say if 10 year old me discovered a forum in 2006, I'd try to use the Wayback Machine to register an account on the site using an archived version from 2002 because I thought that I could do that and my account would then exist on the site in the present and say I joined in 2002, I didn't realize I wasn't somehow literally viewing an active web page from 2002)

I would injure myself thinking that I could do things. At a friend's farm that abutted the escarpment in Milton, Ontario we were jumping from the hayloft to a nice cushioned layer of hay below. I thought I could do gyrations on my way down and landed on one foot while spinning. That pretty much dislocated my ankle. Ouch! I needed to be sedated when the doctor reduced the dislocation.

I thought I had X-ray vision. When I'd cover one eye with a hand, I thought it would eliminate that entire side of my vision. Since the other eye's vision overlapped in the middle, I thought I was looking through my hand.

It must have been in a dream but I could have SWORN as a kid that if i had a broomstick between my legs and jumped off the third step of the deck staircase, I would glide a little. I was convinced I could fly, but only a *little* bit.

I thought I could somehow influence the future through willpower alone. And it seemed that I could. Now, of course, I know that any perceived change was likely due to cognitive bias or a placebo effect.

I tried to get inside a dust devil, but was driven off by the gravel it was throwing. I also thought that if I could present a logical case based on credible data, people would find it convincing. I thought that if I followed the Golden Rule, I wouldn't get in trouble.

I have Visual Snow Syndrome, but as a small child, I thought I had the ability to see the air. When I first learned about atoms as a child, it further cemented the idea that I could see the atoms in the air around me.

I didn't recognize until later, that I could also "see atoms" when I closed my eyes and even while dreaming, so that pretty much ended that theory.

Now I know it's actually a cortico-thalamic dysrhythmia.

I have Visual Snow Syndrome, but as a small child, I thought I had the ability to see the air. When I first learned about atoms as a child, it further cemented the idea that I could see the atoms in the air around me.

I didn't recognize until later, that I could also "see atoms" when I closed my eyes and even while dreaming, so that pretty much ended that theory.

Now I know it's actually a cortico-thalamic dysrhythmia.
I thought of them as creatures, and would see what shapes they form

Last edited:
I thought there were 5 to 7 entities that would give inspiration. Like those instant hints, and only in school. So I thought the school was cursed.

I thought of them as creatures, and would see what shapes they wo
Interesting. :) Personally, I can remember seeing a film in elementary school on atoms and how the electrons, protons, and neutrons interact and move around each other, as well as how, sometimes they would bounce into each other and shoot off electrons. The visuals they presented in that film, at least at the time, reminded me of my visual field. All that speckling and streaking of light. So, for a while, I thought I was seeing atoms. It's interesting how a child interprets their world.

The worst was when I thought as a teen that being a kind person with my own values and potential I could be attractive to girls. How wrong I was!

I thought other people could hear my thoughts, and that it would get me in trouble for thinking "bad things" about people lol

I was very, very young though and didn't understand the difference between thinking things to myself and hearing them in my head, vs. saying them out loud.

I thought other people could hear my thoughts, and that it would get me in trouble for thinking "bad things" about people lol

I was very, very young though and didn't understand the difference between thinking things to myself and hearing them in my head, vs. saying them out loud.
Relate to that.

I think I could leap forward and backwards threw time. Along with flying. The flying one happened once. Very disorienting experience.

I used to think that if I fell asleep in the daytime that I could wake up in another place and time.

I also thought I could breathe under water....only tried it once though.

I thought I could control the wind. I spent so much time playing outside and in the woods communing with nature that I would yell: "SILENCE!" to the wind and a good number of times the wind would die down for a bit.

i often have dreams that i can breathe underwater. extremely interesting experience, though i've never been bold enough to try it in real life
I think I was 6...and it worked for a few seconds...so I tried it again another day..and it didn't work. The people at summer camp had no idea what I was up to...lol. I didn't take that much in and didn't get hurt...just coughing.

I have dreams that I can fly all of the time...but I never thought I could do that while awake. I thought I could go places while I was asleep...and in my teens experimented with lucid dreaming. Had some interesting experiences.

I'd look at my arm and then poke my finger at the top of my eyelid to give myself double vision and thought the double image of my arm I was seeing was my physical body and my soul.

I also didn't realize that the Wayback Machine were just archived snapshots of a website and I'd try to register on different forums and message boards using it in an attempt to seem like I was a much more established user than I was. (Like say if 10 year old me discovered a forum in 2006, I'd try to use the Wayback Machine to register an account on the site using an archived version from 2002 because I thought that I could do that and my account would then exist on the site in the present and say I joined in 2002, I didn't realize I wasn't somehow literally viewing an active web page from 2002)
When I was about 5-6 or so, I thought if I sat in a light chair and I lifted up on the bottom, I could lift myself up and fly. I could never make it work, and figured I just wasn't quite strong enough. Learning about force vectors was in the future.

New Threads

Top Bottom