• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I re-apply for a Provisional driving license for an Automatic?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

About 13 years ago I applied for a "normal" driving license and was turned down, they said I was too disabled to control a car, and with my AS I would be a candidate for "road rage" (Pardon? OK I get mad easily but I'm not that bad!)

I now feel I could learn in an Automatic vehicle, only thing is I don't get high enough benefits for a Motability car, so I doubt I'd ever be able to purchase an Automatic car, not even a cheap one on eBay, so is it worth putting myself through the possible trauma of re-applying for a P license to have Automatic driving lessons?

Thoughts please? And be nice, don't insult me.

Topic.

About 13 years ago I applied for a "normal" driving license and was turned down, they said I was too disabled to control a car, and with my AS I would be a candidate for "road rage" (Pardon? OK I get mad easily but I'm not that bad!)

I now feel I could learn in an Automatic vehicle, only thing is I don't get high enough benefits for a Motability car, so I doubt I'd ever be able to purchase an Automatic car, not even a cheap one on eBay, so is it worth putting myself through the possible trauma of re-applying for a P license to have Automatic driving lessons?

Rich, do you feel as if you need a license or are you doing this because you feel you should? If you're getting by without a driver's license and you don't feel you need one, then I wouldn't sweat it. If you feel like you need one, by all means, give it a go. However, if you feel you should then you have a negative reason for doing it? Negative reasoning for learning something leads to unnecessary stress and anxiety and can result in a lack of success.

Rich, do you feel as if you need a license or are you doing this because you feel you should? If you're getting by without a driver's license and you don't feel you need one, then I wouldn't sweat it. If you feel like you need one, by all means, give it a go. However, if you feel you should then you have a negative reason for doing it? Negative reasoning for learning something leads to unnecessary stress and anxiety and can result in a lack of success.

I'd like to learn in an Automatic, as 20 years ago I had lessons in a normal car with the bloke who taught my Brother, and after a few months he said I'd never pass a test in a manual car for various reasons including that I couldn't do the gears without looking down, thus taking my eyes off the road.

Topic.

Rich I do not know what you should do. I think you can weigh it out for yourself but I am confused by your concern about people being nice and not insulting you. None of us want that but I was so surprised when you said in another thread recently, "You own a gun? You are a ****ing idiot."

You probably didn't mean to hurt anyone but can you think now how it would feel if someone posted that to you? We have misunderstandings here and this is a wonderful safe place to learn, I need that help myself and people have been patient with me and I am grateful.

Rich I do not know what you should do. I think you can weigh it out for yourself but I am confused by your concern about people being nice and not insulting you. None of us want that but I was so surprised when you said in another thread recently, "You own a gun? You are a ****ing idiot."

You probably didn't mean to hurt anyone but can you think now how it would feel if someone posted that to you? We have misunderstandings here and this is a wonderful safe place to learn, I need that help myself and people have been patient with me and I am grateful.
Well said, grommet. We genuinely care about each other here.

Topic.

I think this is something you really want. I think for that reason you should consider doing it. And who knows where it could lead? Doing something for yourself, gaining another skill, facing a challenge. I think that builds self-esteem. Maybe you won't be able to have a car to drive regularly but you will have done something you've been wanting to do. I think it might feel pretty good having that license in your wallet.

I've done a lot of things I thought I couldn't do and I've also failed too. But involving myself in things has led me to things I did not expect. I went for a walk one evening and it led to a conversation a stranger and a casual comment she made. Some very important things followed because of a chain of events that all began that night. My life was changed. It wasn't the comment but it mentioned something I didn't know about and I checked that out. Through that I met new people and learned new things. It's too long a story to tell but it changed my life so much.

Maybe getting or trying to get your license won't lead to more than a license or a brief experience but that could be good in itself and it could lead to other things but I think most importantly, you would be challenging yourself to do something you have been thinking about for a long while.

I hope this helps.

Topic.

You do have fewer distractions IMO when operating an automatic transmission vehicle. However driving any kind of vehicle no matter how simple or complex inherently requires a lot of multitasking. Though with a manual transmission car you learn to drive primarily by feel and not by sight. (I've driven a stick all my adult life. I presently drive a six-speed transmission. So looking down at the gear gates or position of the shifter won't help much!)

Quite honestly I suspect the real question you need answered first and foremost would be from the authorities. To determine just how comprehensive the decision was to deny you a license to begin with. And whether or not in their eyes that being limited to an automatic transmission would fully mitigate the situation. And if a favorable response, to secure it in writing for future reference in the event you do decide to seek such a permit to operate an automatic.

You do bring up perhaps the most critical factor in operating any motor vehicle though- the exorbitant cost involved. Seems you guys have much better public transportation to rely on. And if you've done so your entire life perhaps owning your own vehicle at such a cost and limitation may simply not be the best choice to make. Unless of course the notion of such personal freedom nags at you each and every day. For some people it's a real issue.

Last edited:
You do have fewer distractions IMO when operating an automatic transmission vehicle. However driving any kind of vehicle no matter how simple or complex inherently requires a lot of multitasking. Though with a manual transmission car you learn to drive primarily by feel and not by sight. (I've driven a stick all my adult life. I presently drive a six-speed transmission. So looking down at the gear gates or position of the shifter won't help much!)

Quite honestly I suspect the real question you need answered first and foremost would be from the authorities. To determine just how comprehensive the decision was to deny you a license to begin with. And whether or not in their eyes that being limited to an automatic transmission would fully mitigate the situation. And if a favorable response, to secure it in writing for future reference in the event you do decide to seek such a permit to operate an automatic.

You do bring up perhaps the most critical factor in operating any motor vehicle though- the exorbitant cost involved. Seems you guys have much better public transportation to rely on. And if you've done so your entire life perhaps owning your own vehicle at such a cost and limitation may simply not be the best choice to make. Unless of course the notion of such personal freedom nags at you each and every day. For some people it's a real issue.

Thing is though, if I drove it would solve a lot of problems for me, on the other hand it would create a lot, just got to weigh up whether it would solve or cause the most problems.

But I don't think Mum or Dad would let me put myself or them through it anyway.

Off topic, as to that comment I posted in the guns thread last week, to be honest I am strongly against the use of guns unless they're in the hands of professionals.

on the other hand it would create a lot, just got to weigh up whether it would solve or cause the most problems.

Exactly. It's ultimately critical for you to "crunch the numbers" to determine that it's financially viable. Assuming of course the authorities will allow you that permit with an automatic.

I can't really advise you, but just to say that I had the chance with driving an automatic and found it a dream. I live in France and they have special cars that do not require a license. It is frustrating though, because I understand most of the highway code, but can't do it in French. I am told that if I really want something, I will perceive, but that really winds me up and suggests that I am not trying, but I have and just get meltdowns and so, I can't get my license but I can drive and love it.

Currently, trying to sell a car, my husband drives. He also has a van, for work and does not get on with the car, so if I am successful in selling, I will buy a car that doesn't need a license.

I'd like to learn in an Automatic, as 20 years ago I had lessons in a normal car with the bloke who taught my Brother, and after a few months he said I'd never pass a test in a manual car for various reasons including that I couldn't do the gears without looking down, thus taking my eyes off the road.

Yes, the chap who was in the car when I was driving the automatic said that there was no way I could get on with a Manuel because there is too many things to keep an eye on it mirrors. He tried to tell my husband, but my hubby insisted with practise I would be OK. Now, I think he understands better.

New Threads

Top Bottom