• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sheldon Cooper and Sean Murphy

eriley74

Hi!! I'd like you what folks here think about the characterizations of Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory) and of Sean Murphy (The Good Doctor). Did Hollywood capture their autism accurately? Did they go overboard? Did they miss anything? I'll wait a few days or so before throwing in my two cents. Thanks in advance!!

Can't speak for The Good Doctor - never watched it.
Sheldon was never confirmed as on the spectrum AFAIK and I remember it being denied frequently. I'm talking Big Bang though - just can't get into that Young Sheldon malarkey. Didn't gel with us at all.
I like his character and found him entertaining, but he did come across as being a mish mash of lazy stereotypes of highly-strung academic/autistic tropes. He was fun to watch and centred some great, funny story lines, but I would not regard him as an Autistic role model or a fair "spokes-character"
If you want to see a wonderful representation of autism on screen then track down Bron/Broen (The Bridge) - a Danish/Swedish detective series. Not only is it one of the finest cop type shows I have ever watched, but Saga Noren, the central character, is a brilliantly researched and acted representation of a well rounded, focused (and vulnerable) autistic character.

I know that costar Mayim Bialik who has a doctorate in neuroscience from UCLA has commented that Sheldon Cooper seems more prone to manifesting OCD than autism outright. And of course writers/producers Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady refuse to elaborate on their characters in any neurological sense. I suppose they want to remain coy about it all to minimize any potential controversies and keep us all guessing.

As for the show "Young Sheldon", I've never watched it.

"The Good Doctor" is somewhat more difficult to elaborate on at times, given he is classically autistic and a true savant. Not always something I can completely relate to. But on occasion the writers manage to depict any number of traits, behaviors and social situations that so many of us on the spectrum can understand and appreciate.

"The Good Doctor" Season 3 Ep. 1

It was watching The Good Doctor that made me realize I was AS. So, I'd say they must've done a fairly good job of representing it.

I only watched Big Bang Theory, not Young Sheldon.. But I never identified with the Sheldon Cooper character the way I did with the Sean Murphy character.. I would not have guessed Sheldon was meant to be autistic.

If you watch the recent movie Ford vs. Ferrari though, the portrayal of Ken Miles also resonated with me... I looked it up on google after, and couldn't actually find any actual evidence that he was on the spectrum.. But there was an interview with the director where the director figured that Ken Miles was an AS type personality, so he may have just instructed the actor to act that way...

If you watch the recent movie Ford vs. Ferrari though, the portrayal of Ken Miles also resonated with me... I looked it up on google after, and couldn't actually find any actual evidence that he was on the spectrum.. But there was an interview with the director where the director figured that Ken Miles was an AS type personality, so he may have just instructed the actor to act that way...

Interesting observation. Your comments reminded me of the film "Rush", about the rivarly between formula 1 drivers Nikki Lauda and James Hunt. Where people speculated for years that Lauda was on the spectrum. Which from what I see, apparently is not the case. Though at times in the film, I had to wonder...:confused:

Interesting observation. Your comments reminded me of the film "Rush", about the rivarly between formula 1 drivers Nikki Lauda and James Hunt. Where people speculated for years that Lauda was on the spectrum. Which from what I see, apparently is not the case. Though at times in the film, I had to wonder...:confused:

Given that the diagnostic criteria for AS has been changing and evolving a lot over the years, I struggle to understand how they can posthumously decide these people are/aren't AS.. We still have people on these forums today that struggle to get a proper diagnosis, but we can somehow decide that long dead Tesla or Einstein were AS?? I don't get it.. :confused:
I guess it looks like Niki Lauda only recently died, so perhaps with him they could have maybe diagnosed it before..

Young Sheldon is my favorite show and I identify with a large number of his experiences. :)

Given that the diagnostic criteria for AS has been changing and evolving a lot over the years, I struggle to understand how they can posthumously decide these people are/aren't AS.. We still have people on these forums today that struggle to get a proper diagnosis, but we can somehow decide that long dead Tesla or Einstein were AS?? I don't get it.. :confused:
I guess it looks like Niki Lauda only recently died, so perhaps with him they could have maybe diagnosed it before..

I've always assumed such things amount to nothing more than pure speculation. Not associated with professional medical opinions.

The film "Rush" technically never mentioned words like autism or anything else neurological. But the manner in which his character was depicted by Daniel Brühl left me wondering. And of course such speculation could be found on the Internet...along with so many other persons dead or alive. Still just speculation and rumor.

I also seem to recall reading where Lauda himself dismissed being on the spectrum. No telling how he- or his wife actually felt about being depicted in such a manner in the film.

Last edited:
My psychologist likes Sheldon and the Big Bang Theory.
I never watched it and she said try it once to see what you think.
Didn't care for it.
Never watched Young Sheldon.

I am an avid fan of The Good Doctor. Watched every episode from the start.
He has many characture traits that I can relate to and they are presented seriously.
I've never known a savant, but, I do like the presentation through picture thoughts
and his feelings on many subjects he encounters.

I've only seen the Big Bang Theory and Sheldon is very entertaining. Seems to me he's an exaggerated form of ASD, which would be okay as long as the public is aware of the exaggeration.

Seems to me he's an exaggerated form of ASD, which would be okay as long as the public is aware of the exaggeration.

In most cases I suspect the public won't have a clue. Especially given that the writers refused to ever really discuss the matter, effectively avoiding criticism for making neurological parodies. Leaving people more often than not to simply guess whether or not Sheldon is autistic, prone to OCD/OCPD, or just someone you either love or hate.

Prior to this show, I recall a few times where actor Jim Parsons played essentially the same bit-part character in a number of tv shows. Someone annoying and not endearing.

Last edited:
Watching some of both shows I think we're closer to Sean Murphy than we are to Sheldon Cooper in terms of how most Aspies act.

New Threads

Top Bottom