• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sharing diagnosis

Daisygrace75

Diagnosed with Asperger’s a few weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone has any good resources (leaflets, PDFs, etc) that they have found helpful when trying to tell friends and family about the diagnosis. Struggling to find the right materials (especially ones that don’t cost a lot). Thank you x

Hi Daisygrace :)

welcome to af.png

Recommend they read Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. That is the best way to explain autism.

You identified with it?
I guess you did.
I read it years ago, but from what I remember it would serve to perpetuate stereotypes more than explain Autism, and I don't think it's even explicitly stated the child is autistic.

Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but I'd be reluctant to refer anyone to anything involving a savant, if the goal is to explain Autism, and if I'm remembering the novel correctly.

Welcome to our forum. You have hit the motherload, this is a great supportive site. Kinda in the same boat, but cannot decide if l should tell my family because they never accepted me anyways. Let us know how it goes and if anyone knew you had it.

Whilst I enjoyed "Curious Incident" and I identified with certain aspects of the story/character, I should point out that to a significant proportion of Autistics, the book/play is in the same league as "Rain Man". It's felt that it is an interesting diversion but ultimately a stereotypical and outdated view of autism.

Welcome to Autism Forums.

One critical thing to consider is that there is no relationship between how close you may be with someone in your personal orbit, and how well- or not they may take your diagnosis. That in reality it can be a very precarious thing. Where even your closest relative who has known you most of your life may simply not understand, regardless of the effort you exert to inform them.

In as much as we find much of the Neurotypical world to be quite alien to us, the reciprocal applies as well. That Neurodiversity can be a very difficult concept for Neurotypicals to understand in whole or in part. Where you find a tiny few who want to understand and succeed in doing so, and a few more who want to understand and will fail.

And the vast majority who either can't understand or don't want to. Instead defaulting to a reasoning that it is you who must change to accommodate them. Even given that in many instances we are unable to neurologically do so.

Stick around and read so many posts. You're bound to find any number of comments that you can personally relate to, reflecting who and what we are. ;)

You identified with it?
I guess you did.
I read it years ago, but from what I remember it would serve to perpetuate stereotypes more than explain Autism, and I don't think it's even explicitly stated the child is autistic.

Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but I'd be reluctant to refer anyone to anything involving a savant, if the goal is to explain Autism, and if I'm remembering the novel correctly.
It was the first book I ever related too and i was the book of that helped my sister through her fear when I was diagnosed.

I think the topic should be rolled out in small doses. It takes time to understand the simplest aspects of ASD, but once that "clicks", it's easier to understand the bigger issues of feelings and behaviors. It's like explaining that the light switch in the kitchen turns on the TV in the upstairs bedroom. Then you have to explain why its a dimmer switch.

Literature is good, but I think that reading about ASD is confusing if you don't have concrete examples to use, and if you aren't available to explain the literature itself because it is all so academic/scientific. Autistamatic's suggestion is very good. Integrated learning is needed to grasp the issues properly. It's very 3-dimensional. God luck, and congratulations.

Welcome to the forums! I keep my diagnosis on a need to know basis strictly, due to very negative past experiences. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Welcome.

Yes, proceed with caution, many minority aspects of our identity can be hard to explain, not least when we are new to the issue ourselves and don't fully know what it means about us.

You are still yourself, and perhaps you can take some time to understand how this label relates to who and how you are. Is there a reason you need to tell others? If there's no rush, I d say wait until you feel you have a good understanding of this area, and can pass some of that knowledge along.

:sailboat::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::whale::sailboat::surfer::spiralshell::fish:

New Threads

Top Bottom