• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Share your funny or cute aspie moments !

Sabrina

Gentle & brave earthling
My 8yr old son: “Every second grader was playing one single game of tag during recess”.
—— Silence—-
Me: ... Everybody except you, I presume.
8 yr old: Yes. I was just walking, and then, sitting.
—— Silence—-

I looked, amused, at my 13 yr old. We had a conversation years ago, when she “confessed” that she usually spent recesses walking alone, or just being alone. At that moment I also “confessed” to the same issue when I was a kid, and so did her dad. She yelled “Yes”, with her arms held up high, saying: “I’m not the only one!”

So she replied to me, in reference to what her brother has said: “He’s living the legacy!” and laughed. I laughed too. Then she adds: “well mom, now we know he’s ours”, and I laughed again.

——-Feel free to share aspie moments too :D.

Last edited:
The literalness of autism can be funny at times. As I was sitting on the floor in the kitchen, repairing a cupboard door hinge, that squeaked. My husband asked me how to scramble an egg.

He had the pan on the stove, and it was hot, and I could see the egg in his hand. I turned back to the cupboard door, and without looking up from what I was doing, I said "You place the egg in the hot pan, to scramble means to mix up the entire egg with a fork as its beginning to cook, breaking the yolk and mixing it."

As per my instructions, he literally put the egg with the shell on, into the hot pan. As I looked up, there he was attempting to move it around with a fork inside the pan. Looking somewhat puzzled, when I'd assumed he would know to break the shell, but he didn't know. And from my brief instructions thought it was to be cooked inside the shell.

Last edited:
Over all of the years that I have been around, I have learned what most of these phrases mean. Nonverbal communication still goes right over my head if I haven't heard it before, but I have heard most of them. However, I still think of the literal meaning at first.

When someone says it is a piece cake, my first thought is to look around for the cake. I like cake.

If I show up a someone's house unexpectedly and they say what brings you here? My first thought is to tell them that I came in my truck.

If someone asks me to answer their phone because their busy and someone on the other end asks me if they are there. My first thought is to say "yes" and hang up. A question was asked and I answered it. What more needs to be said?

O yes, as a kid, my mum often asked me to boil the kettle for a cup of coffee.
"Where's my cup of coffee, Pax?"
"Well I boiled the kettle!"

The one I can remember and which crushed me at the time and thus, actually do not have funny aspie moments, was when I was around 9 or so and had to go with my school for the annuel ice skating. Hated going and always ended up with a cold.

Anyway, I was on the side looking at the other skaters; because I was useless; absolutely no balance. And as a female skater past me, I blurted out to a teacher: isn't it rather impractical to wear tights? Surely if she falls she will get holes in them? I got some mightly strange looks and utter silence and umm well, thank you for that, Suzanne and lol he quickly escaped. Unfortunately I felt mortified and thought: what did I say and why on earth did I say it?

I admit to having reigned myself in for years and finally understand why I hated quick fire questions, in case I answered badly or appeared stupid.

If I think of anything to add to this light hearted mood thread, I will.

Just thought of something.

When people say: make yourself at home and I look with horror and say: are you sure?

There are well known expressions such as "kill two birds with one stone" and that makes me wince even as I see it typed and so, my husband kindly tries to find other ways of saying it and when he does this to others, he always explains that Suzanne doesn't like this, because she thinks it is really cruel to the birds and so, we usually say: save two birds with one net.

Another: I would like to be a fly on the wall. Umm no thank you. I would rather be a butterfly on the wall!

I had to explain this literalness to my husband, despite the fact that he was the one who alerted me to taking things too literally.

You know what the true meaning is, but you SEE the literal meaning and you cannot help but blurt that literal meaning out.

If I show up a someone's house unexpectedly and they say what brings you here? My first thought is to tell them that I came in my truck.
If it were me, my initial thought would be "What has brought you here, not what brings you here!"

In a RE lesson:

Teacher: ...and the Virgin Mary gave birth to a child and called him Jesus...
Me (interrupting): So if the Virgin Mary was a virgin, then how come she gave birth to a child?
Teacher (shocked) Progster!!!!

Student: So, what's up?
Me: The sky.

Well, I did "script" a lot when I was very young - it's kind of like echolalia, but when you borrow lines from movie/TV dialogue that reflect the topic or situation at hand.

I think my very first instance of scripting came when I was very young, and my mother was pushing me in a stroller. We stopped at a honeysuckle patch and she pushed my stroller closer so I could smell them. "Doesn't the honeysuckle smell nice, Baby!Coupe?" my mom asked. I couldn't really smell anything, but I sensed that I was on the hook to respond, so I replied stoically, "You don't eat them, you smell them," - what Kanga says to Winnie the Pooh when Roo gives the bear a bouquet of honeysuckle in Disney's Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree cartoon.

I also have memories of scripting "Pardon me, blockhead!" (what Archimedes the owl yells at Merlin during the "Higitus Figitus" song in Disney's The Sword in the Stone) at anyone who happened to mildly inconvenience me in any way, for awhile.

In response to my mother becoming impatient with my delay in following her requests for me to get ready to go somewhere (put on my shoes and jacket, etc) and repeating her instructions to me while being clear that this was the last time she would do so, I saluted and said, "My eye, captain!" My aunt still laughs about that. :D

My aunt also remembers sitting with my mom one morning, drinking coffee, and I came running in and asked breathlessly, "Mommy, what if Buzz Lightyear (the astronaut toy from Toy Story ) was a real boy?"

Then when I was older (about 13, iirc) I couldn't remember where my house key was, and when my dad asked me if I'd lost it, I said, "I didn't lose it, I just don't know where it is at present."

Those are all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there are others - I'll post again if I remember them. :)

I was just working out how to write a book report with my son, eight years old. (Online public school) He isn't good with Who, What, Why, Where, When and How questions. He picked a book.

Me: What do you like about the book?

Son: It came from the library and..

Me: No, no. *Opens the book, points to the pictures and words* What's inside it..? *Didn't get to say "that you like" before he responded*

Son: Pages.

:rolleyes::D Hahahahaha

My sister who overheard: *chuckles* Definitely your son. ;):D

"Doesn't the honeysuckle smell nice, Baby!Coupe?" my mom asked. I couldn't really smell anything, but I sensed that I was on the hook to respond, so I replied stoically, "You don't eat them, you smell them," -ece others - :)
As my daughter would say “Cuteness overload!!”

I was just working out how to write a book report with my son, eight years old. (Online public school) He isn't good with Who, What, Why, Where, When and How questions. He picked a book.

Me: What do you like about the book?

Son: It came from the library and..

Me: No, no. *Opens the book, points to the pictures and words* What's inside it..? *Didn't get to say "that you like" before he responded*

Son: Pages.

:rolleyes::D Hahahahaha

My sister who overheard: *chuckles* Definitely your son. ;):D
I love this!!!!

My parents loved my eloquent word use at an early age.

Though they had to put their foot down when I once questioned the possibility of someone being sued for "defecation of character". :p:eek::oops:

New Threads

Top Bottom