• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Shapeshifters?

Canismajoris

Hypergiant
"...shapeshifting is the ability of a being or creature to transform its physical form or shape. This is usually achieved through an inherent ability of a mythological creature, divine intervention or the use of magic."

Since I was a kid I learnt to survive and operate in NT-world by observing and mimicin how people behave. It is not that hard, because humans are quite the same in general: examine, rinse and repeat.

As a nerd I consider it to be some kind of shapeshifting superpower. It works well when I know what kind of behaviour is expected and I have some time to start my shapeshifting before entering into the situation.

But the older I have grown, the more tiring it has started to be in the "role". These days I even feel depression / self-loath if I cannot be my weird self. Obviously this causes problems in my work.

Do you posses the same superpower, or is it rather a curse?

If you have this skill, what you recommend to do with it? Stop using or use with moderation or keep putting all in and keep the benefits?

In situations of safety and well-being and work counts as well-being for me, although my workplace is super-accommodating of everyone), I do not hesitate to attempt to blend in when I can. Or have to.

24 hours a day though, 7 days a week-- I can't do it non-stop. Literally cannot.

I am my own self at work (because it is cool there), with my dog, alone, out in public providing I am not in any danger-- well, I get to unmask most of the time.

You have good questions and that is very important when defining our boundaries and what we are willing to do And not do.

Framing the concept with the term "shape shifting" gives it an added dimension.
The idea of a mask compared/contrasted with the idea of shape shifting.

If you have this skill, what you recommend to do with it? Stop using or use with moderation or keep putting all in and keep the benefits?

I've always masked my traits and behaviors as a matter of self survival. Not for any malicious deception or amusement. With no real intention of truly "fitting in". Nothing more, nothing less.

To exist, but not thrive among a predatory species which seems prone to strike out at anyone who seems profoundly different from themselves.

Though as a retired person living a relatively isolated existence, I see little need to mask my traits and behaviors altogether. "Mind over matter". I don't mind, because it no longer matters as much.

Last edited:
Framing the concept with the term "shape shifting" gives it an added dimension.
The idea of a mask compared/contrasted with the idea of shape shifting.
I have also considered "shapeshifting" as sort of an algorithm: suitable "if then else" -loops that can be activated when necessary. Or talents like in RPG's.
And yes, as said, I am a nerd.

I've always masked my traits and behaviors as a matter of self survival. Not for any malicious deception or amusement. Nothing more, nothing less.
Though as a retired person living a relatively isolated existence, I see little need to mask my traits and behaviors altogether. "Mind over matter". I don't mind, because it doesn't matter.
Yes. For survival. First had to finish school. Then get a job. Pay the bills. Keep the job. The usual.

With my wife I don't need to wear mask. She knows I am weird but with good intentions.

Identifying as a shapeshifter is a way of romanticize it and no harm done really. As long as you don't start munching on your co-workers

I started to agree with @Tom about it being a way to romanticize it (I like the sound of shapeshifting better), then read the rest. Well, actually, I guess I have to agree with that part, too.

I started to agree with @Tom about it being a way to romanticize it (I like the sound of shapeshifting better), then read the rest. Well, actually, I guess I have to agree with that part, too.
I have strong tendency to make things easy and fancy to consume. Oh did I mention that I work in an ad agency.

I've only recently realized I've been doing this my whole life. I'm also a huge nerd, so I'd draw an analogy with teaching AI. I do something I think is right for the situation, I analyse the reactions and adjust my strategy. It's sometimes tiring when it takes me too far from my comfortable behaviour.

I've only recently realized I've been doing this my whole life. I'm also a huge nerd, so I'd draw an analogy with teaching AI. I do something I think is right for the situation, I analyse the reactions and adjust my strategy. It's sometimes tiring when it takes me too far from my comfortable behaviour.
I totally get it. And as I’m also nerd I think we all are (complex) algorithms: if or else then.

New Threads

Top Bottom