• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory Sensitivity and chosen loud music

Shaun-Junior Bishop

Hi,
I have read in a few places on the internet that individuals with autism are able to listen to loud music of their choice with headphones and i am one of them but the sensation of too much talking or too many noises that are unpredictable causes me to have sensory overload and causes me to wear headphones nearly constantly and i just wondered if this is common. I find it weird how music i understand and know is okay at loud volumes but the soft sound of paper rubbing against eachother drives me insane.

Anyone else?

Yes this is me! I take 1 die of mental damage when I am not wearing my headset and there is loud music. My character dies a painful death when there are multiple sources of loudness.

Say I walk in to an area where there is loud talking , whispering, music playing loudly and cars rumbling all at the same time from different directions. My brain goes in to overdrive as my eardrum absorbs the sound waves. I can hear all the stuff at the same time like a bomb.

I must wear my noise cancelling Bose headset at all time to reduce it to a nearly tolerable level. I am still burned out afterwards, just not as badly.

There's plenty of us in the same boat. Since I've been able to wear headphones at work my daily stress level has plummeted. For me it's specifically chatter more than anything that pushes my buttons.

Yep! Hearing a room full of people talking all at once is maddening, but I listen to loud music all the time and enjoy concerts.

Same here. I think that loud voices/many people talking at once are overwhelming for two reasons: the first, the pitch of the voices, hitting certain frequencies that are overstimulating, and secondly, the brain is programmed to process speech and find meaning in it, so when you hear voices your brain is working doubly hard to try and interpret all the sound and if many people are talking together, it just goes into overload. For me, two conversations going on at once are a nightmare for this reason.

No problems with my own loud music. Sometimes when boyfriend plays loud music I do get overstimulated. I guess it’s because he plays it when I’m not feeling like listening to music.
Loud office environments are grating to me, so I often wear my headphones at work or just close the door of my office.

Hi,
I have read in a few places on the internet that individuals with autism are able to listen to loud music of their choice with headphones and i am one of them but the sensation of too much talking or too many noises that are unpredictable causes me to have sensory overload and causes me to wear headphones nearly constantly and i just wondered if this is common. I find it weird how music i understand and know is okay at loud volumes but the soft sound of paper rubbing against eachother drives me insane.

Anyone else?
Mindfulness

I use loud music to block out torture noises that put me in complete agony, and that's why my mother doesn't understand. She thinks I just don't like other people's noises, but I try to tell her that it's certain noises that torture me. But I can't explain it to her right, and she still believes that I'm just messing with my brother for no reason.

I'm a musician and I can barely handle the sound of the music I'm making because I'm so sensitive to sound. I can play, but it's almost unbearable. Everyone else loves my music, but I'm being tortured as I play . It makes it difficult for me to play an instrument. I don't have any problem with sticking ear buds in my ears and turning music up fairly loud, though. I don't have any idea why it's like that. As for multiple voices or other sounds assaulting me at the same time... NO! Dear God, NO! lol I'm thinking I might start wearing ear plugs more often to soften the blow.

Interesting similarity there. I majored in music (woodwinds) and taught private lessons & played in ensembles. The teaching was one-on-one and I was a musician so almost expected to be "weird" so that worked out. For a while. I didn't mind the orchestral ensemble stuff, which can be as loud as any rock band but the sound is so "pure" that it doesn't seem harsh (a bunch of good trained musicians playing in tune and clear tone doesn't hurt either). I tried playing in a couple bands but I couldn't stand the chaotic loud noise.

After a few years (about 12 I think) I gave that up and became a machinist, where the unusually high ability to hear nuanced audible differences with high resolution is an advantage you wouldn't think even existed in that field, i.e. my acute hearing has helped me be a better machinist. Early on I tried explaining this to others, but whether from the oddity of it or my lack of ability to articulate it, nobody ever "got it" so I shut my yapper. It's a pretty solitary activity and very detail-oriented, so a pretty good fit for my abilities and faults.

Anyways, after I got out of music I pretty much never looked back. I haven't even taken my "pride and joy" clarinets out of the case for over 20 years. But I picked up playing drums and even though I suck at it, it's still fun and the volume doesn't bother me. I only play at home along with recorded music or solo. The idea of playing with others seems fun as a concept, but I know better than to believe I might enjoy it in reality. I never do it nor seek it out and since I'm old now, I don't care what other people think - one of the things that comes naturally with age. So I just entertain myself as best I can and things have kinda worked out.

So answer to the O.P. is "yes". For me it's not volume which bothers me, but a wide variety of sounds really grates on my brain like I'm walking on glass while others, whether at low or quite high volumes depending, is curiously soothing. What I find soothing vs. what is annoying is all over the map for me so I can't make much sense of it, and just try to go with the flow... that and mostly stay busy at home by myself when I'm not at work.

I have a hypothesis that harmonic/formant singing (like the Gyuto monk choir and others) might be soothing to anyone's ears. I'm certain that's not correct because brains are so different and many people probably liken that sound to brain splinters instead, but when I first started really paying attention to my sound sensitivity, that kind of vocalization was one of the most soothing sounds to my mind for whatever reason. Kind of magical. In the meantime, playing cool things on a drum will have to do.

I am aware that "I could have been a contender", i.e. my bare I.Q. should have resulted in a higher type of profession in life, but I'm satisfied where I have settled. Another thing that comes with old age if you're lucky is an appreciation of the good things in life, or maybe more like an appreciation of the problems you were spared from. If I was a bumper-sticker kind of person, mine would probably just say "meh".

p.s. I've had pretty strong tinnitis my whole life. Sometimes it's seriously annoying but most of the day I guess I'm focusing elsewhere enough that I don't notice it. Anyone else?

Last edited:
The teaching was one-on-one and I was a musician so almost expected to be "weird" so that worked out.

I teach piano one-on-one! We're expected to be weird? I had no idea! Is that why this is working?

Did kids ever tell you you're weird or ask what's wrong with you?

Its really interesting to hear how different everyone is but we all have a common similarity, that we can deal with some noises but others are painful, i didnt realise until a year ago that paper shuffling together is painful to me but i always just tensed my body because i thought it was normal. Its warming to know i am not alone

Did kids ever tell you you're weird or ask what's wrong with you?
Heck no. First off, most of them played clarinet so they were already weird too. ;)
Second, I had long hair and looked like a biker, so they would have been too afraid of insulting me.

Beyond that, since the social dynamic wasn't too far outside my abilities, the situation probably seemed plenty normal from a student's perspective. I always figured they'd do better if they were relatively comfortable in lessons, so I was pretty diligent about making sure they were. The teaching was pretty good therapy for me, which might be obvious but maybe not to younger folks. It did me a lot of good to teach for a while. I'm sure I would have missed a lot of learning to deal without people had I skipped that phase in my life.

I played clarinet for 5 years in school. It was the first instrument I learned. The sound of the clarinet and the rest of the orchestra didn't bother me at all. Piano is something I have trouble with, as far as grating on me goes, and electric guitar is even worse. Sadly, piano and guitar are my main instruments :(. My mom also thinks ear plugs might help, so I'll see. I also have tinnitus, but all of the sounds around me mask it well enough to live with it.

I have sensory overload with many people talking like cafe etc and people playing music I don't like.
Although I do like playing music loud when I can and enjoy DJing with my turntables and going to dance music events

New Threads

Top Bottom