• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory overload first-aid kit

onlything

V.I.P Member
Hi there Community,

So, yesterday and during the whole night I got a really bad case of not-so-complete shutdown. I'm sure many of you know the feeling. I thought that maybe we could create a topic where we would post our impressions of our sensory overload moments, as well as ways in which we coped with it, especially in the beginning.

For me, sensory overload means pain. It's when all the additional impulses send to me by the world cause me to cringe and want to cry out. It's when I close eyes and cover my ears to cut myself from the sources of distress. It's worse when I'm outside, with people walking, cars riding, alarm beeping, a squirrel running in the distance, pigeons flying, cooing, people talking, world buzzing, sun shining, light humming, music pounding, fingers tapping, clothes itching, cutting in my flesh... You get the point. Too much, too many things, too many thoughts in a head that can't help but analyse everything around. Chaos, a chorus of sounds, impressions, sights, smells pounding on your walls of self-control, nearly forcing you to sit down on the road with your senses covered in any way and just break down and cry, cry, cry.

This is what it is for me in the worst part outside. Later, it means migraines and nausea, blinking lights behind my eyes when I'm trying to go to sleep. Sounds and smells playing around with my senses even long after the reason for that ceased to cause distress, as if I was on the most terrifying rollecoaster ever invented. That's when I definitely need my first-aid kit.

My first-aid kit to sensory overload:

1. Switch off the lights.

If it's an evening, switch off all lights. If it's day, cover all windows. Make it dark and not visible as much as you can. Cover your eyes with hands or materials you consider not invasive. If you have a headache or a fever, you may want to consider putting something cold on your forehead.

2.Switch off the sounds.

Turn off any sound you can. Cover your ears. Use air defenders, ear plugs or earphones.

3. Lie or sit down.

Do it in a comfortable place, in a comfortable position. Gather pillows, blankets, teddy bears. Make it warm and soft.

4. Stim.

Let yourself just be for a moment. You can stop moving or rock. Do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. Most of the time, I stop moving altogether like a rabbit caught in a flashlight, then start rocking myself back-forward or left-right. Sometimes I rock only my head.

5. Massage your head.

And brain. I do this when I feel that I'm slightly less sick. I have a whole system for that and maybe you'd find it useful. I started when I was a really overhelmed kid.

- massage the temples in circular motions
- proceed to lightly touch areas around your temples and ears ears, tap, put some pressure, stop, repeat whatever feels the most relieving
- lightly go to the back of your head, especially the base of the neck and put the pressure with the fingers there; use circular motions where possible
- proceed up your head in a straight line and finish with massaging the front of your forehead
- do this slowly, calmly, quietly

6. Change your focus.

It possibly won't help everyone but it does help me. Do it with your eyes closed.

- touch the front of your forehead; focus on the impression of your fingers in that place and let the other areas of your head relax, just turn all your focus to that one place
- after you feel the weight in your head shifting, touch the base of your neck; do the same as before: focus on that area, letting the pressure in your head dissolve and shift to the back of your head
- touch your head in the middle line close to the forehead; focus, shift, dissolve
- proceed with doing it on the middle line, sometimes closer to the base of your neck, sometimes closer the forehead, sometimes at the tip of your head
- you can do it also on the right or left sight of your head, though I always feel like the weight is too heave for only one side of my head/brain to keep it

7. Relax.

Now just relax. Stay in that little quiet bubble. It's safe, warm, calm. You can listen to some delicate music, preferably instrumentals only, or nature sounds mixed with waves. I normally listen to three types of waves:
- SMR waves (low beta waves; lowering alertness)
- alpha waves (relax me)
- theta waves (makes me sleepy)

This is also when I put on my deep pressure vest inflated to full.

8. Sleep.

It's the most helpful thing.

What are your ways to ease sensory overload and help your mind? Of course, it's always better to prevent it but we all know it's not always possible. What do you use when you feel too overhelmed to function anymore?

I'm curious about your ways.

Cheers,
onlything

Edit 13.09.2017: I'm going to sort everything and gather in this post, so that people looking for advice don't have to scroll through all of the thread on their bad days.

Advice gathered from members of the community:

- Prevent where possible:
  • wear earphones or ear protectors like shooting ear muffs
  • use sunglasses
  • avoid crowds
  • focus on things that need to be accomplished
  • keep hydrated
  • do your shopping and travel out of the busiest hours
  • avoid school starting and finishing times
  • if you go out for a meal go 30 minutes before most people's lunch break starts (cook is not in a rush yet, you get served quickly, eat in peace and don't have to wait to pay)
  • clean regularly

- Ease the overload:

• sparkle some water on your face
  • sit down in a quiet, traffic-free place, don't talk
  • stim(wiggle, rock, humm etc.) or go limp: relax
  • keep the temperature in medium, light low, block sounds and sights where possible
  • use candle-light
  • listen to calming music
  • no wind, no people
  • have a cup of tea or something warm to drink(avoid coffee)
  • eat something(avoid junk food and sweets)
  • block the windows to avoid lights and heat
  • gather some food and water, so that you don't have to face anything for some time
  • comfortable blankets and sheets(recommended: fleece sheets and memory foam pillows)
  • acupressure
- Resources:

Let me know if I missed something. Thank you for your input @Keigan , @Streetwise , @Alaska , @Ambi , @kestrel , @Gracey , @Judge , @OlLiE , @tw3

Last edited:
Sit down somewhere traffic free,water always dehydrated better pure o.j,body spray cools me down tiny squirt on neck ,
Don't speak,stare at a calming image

Sunglasses, noise canceling headphones, avoiding crowds.

It's more of a prevention though, a good one but it doesn't always work. When you're in work, you can't do either and yet you need to find a way not to get too overhelmed by everything happening.

It's more of a prevention though, a good one but it doesn't always work. When you're in work, you can't do either and yet you need to find a way not to get too overhelmed by everything happening.
I can avoid being overwhelmed in most environments, I'm actually pretty skilled at it.

I find that I am less likely to become overwhelmed when I am charging forward with accomplishing something, that makes work much easier.

Sit down somewhere traffic free,water always dehydrated better pure o.j,body spray cools me down tiny squirt on neck ,
Don't speak,stare at a calming image

That's true, water is very important. Sensory overload is the worst when you're dehydrated.

I like to do accupressure on myself when I am feeling overloaded. Here is a site about it: Acupuncture Points Database - Locations, Functions and Clinical Usage

You do not need to know much to do accupressure on yourself because you can tell where it hurts. Every main accupressure point is also duplicated on your hands. Your hands can be easily reached, so it is easy and convenient to use them to make your whole body feel better.

When you find a sore spot, just massage it extra until the pain goes away or you can't stand doing it any more at the time. This action is treating whatever problems in your whole body, along that connected meridian, that are causing the soreness or pain.

This process is very calming and relaxing.

I also do some of the same things you mentioned and others, but this is all I want to write about now.

Last edited:
I'm just glad you brought up this topic. I was in sensory overload situation last night, and did nothing about it. If I had, maybe it would have gone better. It was public - but maybe if I had gone somewhere private to do a few things...

Go by myself:
• somewhere quiet,
• with low light,
• no people, (yes it bears repeating)
• a medium temperature - not hot not cold,
• no wind,
• have a cup of mildly stimulating tea,
• remember to eat - no sugar or junk food at all,
• stims 'du jour.'
• sometimes this has to be repeated daily for multiple days if stress inputs are ongoing.

If I've experienced a 'rough one' and don't automatically sleep, I quite like candlelight.
In a dark room by myself, enough candlelight to be able to see, and complete any journals, diaries, CBT worksheets and so on by candlelight. (Candlelight is a soft, warm colour)
Pens are my thing, my obsession so it's likely I'll be enjoying using a certain pen.

I can rarely sit still enough to meditate or massage temples. I'll listen to music through headphones and that can have a calming effect but some part of me has to be moving, whether it's rolling blue Tak between my fingers, leg bouncing, writing (there's a rhythm in handwriting and it's repetitive)

I would like to learn techniques for the prevention of 'overload' rather than having to spend a couple of days in the aftermath.

What are your ways to ease sensory overload and help your mind?

Good question. You know, the very first thing that comes to mind is quite fundamental for me.

- Flight.

Fighting could mean jail, property damage and bodily injury. Easier just to just "bug out" if something gets to me like unwanted and lingering sounds or crowds most of all.

I guess it bothers me some that I don't really have any quick "remedies". Good reason to try to work on that. Thanks for posting this thread. ;)

Buying a new car put me close to overload recently. So much to learn. But the "cool" factor seems to keep it all under control. :cool:

avoidance:
- do your shopping before most people do
- never go to the shops when the brats have just gotten out of school
- never buy in the sales
- if you go out for a meal go 30 minutes before most people's lunch break starts (cook is not in a rush yet, you get served quickly, eat in peace and don't have to wait to pay)
- noise cancelling headphones for EVERYWHERE
- sunglasses
- block my windows to keep heet and light out
- take public hours outside of rush time (especially brats coming from or going to school)
- really comfortable bed and sheets
- regularly clean up, otherwise i get upset that things aren't orderly

when i do get overwhelmed, go home, keep the lights off, windows closed, curtains drawn, have enough food so i don't have to go out for a few days, crawl in bed, turn on netflix to something i've already watched, pass out

avoidance:
- do your shopping before most people do
- never go to the shops when the brats have just gotten out of school
- never buy in the sales
- if you go out for a meal go 30 minutes before most people's lunch break starts (cook is not in a rush yet, you get served quickly, eat in peace and don't have to wait to pay)
- noise cancelling headphones for EVERYWHERE
- sunglasses
- block my windows to keep heet and light out
- take public hours outside of rush time (especially brats coming from or going to school)
- really comfortable bed and sheets
- regularly clean up, otherwise i get upset that things aren't orderly

when i do get overwhelmed, go home, keep the lights off, windows closed, curtains drawn, have enough food so i don't have to go out for a few days, crawl in bed, turn on netflix to something i've already watched, pass out

A lot of sites listed on search engines have a graph that shows busiest, down to least busy days and times to shop there. I like to look at those to pick a less busy time to shop.

I buy on the sales because I need to save money. I just look at those little graphs to find less busy times to shop.

The idea of eating before others get their lunch break is a good one. If I get a choice when to eat out with somebody, I pick breakfast, because it is cheaper and less hectic. If I get the chance to choose not to eat out, I will make the meal at home, because that is less stressful than eating out. This only applies to people that I feel comfortable having in my home, which isn't many.

I was using shooting ear muffs to cut down neighbor racket, but am probably going to add music soon.

Others might also find fleece sheets very comfortable. Costco has good prices on them in season. Memory foam pillows that are breathable are also very comfortable.

First instinct is to get out of here! Retail stores on busy shopping days are awful, too much noise, talking, movement, blinking lights, odors, arguments, etc.
My brain shuts down and I run for cover. I leave because there is no other way to get myself back to myself. Go away from the scene somewhere quiet and still. Close my eyes and rub them and my temples. Try to relax my whole body by going limp. Sing a simple worship song under my breath. Pray and ask God for His peace.
Wait quietly and patiently for the tornado to move away.

A lot of sites listed on search engines have a graph that shows busiest, down to least busy days and times to shop there. I like to look at those to pick a less busy time to shop.

I buy on the sales because I need to save money. I just look at those little graphs to find less busy times to shop.

I tried going to sales, i can't spend too much either, i'm quite tall, and in europe they purchase on the curve, so very few large sizes, surprisingly the start of sales is about the only thing people a lot of people show up on time for - or even early, by the time it gets quiet all the stuff that fits is always long gone, so i gave up on it, so i end up paying the full price but just buy less

Hi, I am a student, and in a lot of my classes I get serious sensory overload, and today I nearly had a meltdown because of it. The worst part was, because I am at a new school, none of the teachers really get it, and it isn't like I can skip class. I spent half of my Algebra class curling up in my jacket, and I didn't calm down until lunch at 1. What I really need are some good ways to avoid this during school hours, that way, I don't resort to aggression to make people leave me alone. What are some things I can do to avoid a meltdown in the middle of class? I can never find anything talking about how to fix this problem from the meltee, not the parent.

Don't shop on pension day. Old people with dementia who walk two abreast down the aisles and block them with their trolleys; and insist on paying with 5c coins.

Hi there Community,

So, yesterday and during the whole night I got a really bad case of not-so-complete shutdown. I'm sure many of you know the feeling. I thought that maybe we could create a topic where we would post our impressions of our sensory overload moments, as well as ways in which we coped with it, especially in the beginning.

For me, sensory overload means pain. It's when all the additional impulses send to me by the world cause me to cringe and want to cry out. It's when I close eyes and cover my ears to cut myself from the sources of distress. It's worse when I'm outside, with people walking, cars riding, alarm beeping, a squirrel running in the distance, pigeons flying, cooing, people talking, world buzzing, sun shining, light humming, music pounding, fingers tapping, clothes itching, cutting in my flesh... You get the point. Too much, too many things, too many thoughts in a head that can't help but analyse everything around. Chaos, a chorus of sounds, impressions, sights, smells pounding on your walls of self-control, nearly forcing you to sit down on the road with your senses covered in any way and just break down and cry, cry, cry.

This is what it is for me in the worst part outside. Later, it means migraines and nausea, blinking lights behind my eyes when I'm trying to go to sleep. Sounds and smells playing around with my senses even long after the reason for that ceased to cause distress, as if I was on the most terrifying rollecoaster ever invented. That's when I definitely need my first-aid kit.

My first-aid kit to sensory overload:

1. Switch off the lights.

If it's an evening, switch off all lights. If it's day, cover all windows. Make it dark and not visible as much as you can. Cover your eyes with hands or materials you consider not invasive. If you have a headache or a fever, you may want to consider putting something cold on your forehead.

2.Switch off the sounds.

Turn off any sound you can. Cover your ears. Use air defenders, ear plugs or earphones.

3. Lie or sit down.

Do it in a comfortable place, in a comfortable position. Gather pillows, blankets, teddy bears. Make it warm and soft.

4. Stim.

Let yourself just be for a moment. You can stop moving or rock. Do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. Most of the time, I stop moving altogether like a rabbit caught in a flashlight, then start rocking myself back-forward or left-right. Sometimes I rock only my head.

5. Massage your head.

And brain. I do this when I feel that I'm slightly less sick. I have a whole system for that and maybe you'd find it useful. I started when I was a really overhelmed kid.

- massage the temples in circular motions
- proceed to lightly touch areas around your temples and ears ears, tap, put some pressure, stop, repeat whatever feels the most relieving
- lightly go to the back of your head, especially the base of the neck and put the pressure with the fingers there; use circular motions where possible
- proceed up your head in a straight line and finish with massaging the front of your forehead
- do this slowly, calmly, quietly

6. Change your focus.

It possibly won't help everyone but it does help me. Do it with your eyes closed.

- touch the front of your forehead; focus on the impression of your fingers in that place and let the other areas of your head relax, just turn all your focus to that one place
- after you feel the weight in your head shifting, touch the base of your neck; do the same as before: focus on that area, letting the pressure in your head dissolve and shift to the back of your head
- touch your head in the middle line close to the forehead; focus, shift, dissolve
- proceed with doing it on the middle line, sometimes closer to the base of your neck, sometimes closer the forehead, sometimes at the tip of your head
- you can do it also on the right or left sight of your head, though I always feel like the weight is too heave for only one side of my head/brain to keep it

7. Relax.

Now just relax. Stay in that little quiet bubble. It's safe, warm, calm. You can listen to some delicate music, preferably instrumentals only, or nature sounds mixed with waves. I normally listen to three types of waves:
- SMR waves (low beta waves; lowering alertness)
- alpha waves (relax me)
- theta waves (makes me sleepy)

This is also when I put on my deep pressure vest inflated to full.

8. Sleep.

It's the most helpful thing.

What are your ways to ease sensory overload and help your mind? Of course, it's always better to prevent it but we all know it's not always possible. What do you use when you feel too overhelmed to function anymore?

I'm curious about your ways.

Cheers,
onlything

Edit 13.09.2017: I'm going to sort everything and gather in this post, so that people looking for advice don't have to scroll through all of the thread on their bad days.

Advice gathered from members of the community:

- Prevent where possible:
  • wear earphones or ear protectors like shooting ear muffs
  • use sunglasses
  • avoid crowds
  • focus on things that need to be accomplished
  • keep hydrated
  • do your shopping and travel out of the busiest hours
  • avoid school starting and finishing times
  • if you go out for a meal go 30 minutes before most people's lunch break starts (cook is not in a rush yet, you get served quickly, eat in peace and don't have to wait to pay)
  • clean regularly

- Ease the overload:

• sparkle some water on your face
  • sit down in a quiet, traffic-free place, don't talk
  • stim(wiggle, rock, humm etc.) or go limp: relax
  • keep the temperature in medium, light low, block sounds and sights where possible
  • use candle-light
  • listen to calming music
  • no wind, no people
  • have a cup of tea or something warm to drink(avoid coffee)
  • eat something(avoid junk food and sweets)
  • block the windows to avoid lights and heat
  • gather some food and water, so that you don't have to face anything for some time
  • comfortable blankets and sheets(recommended: fleece sheets and memory foam pillows)
  • acupressure
- Resources:

Let me know if I missed something. Thank you for your input @Keigan , @Streetwise , @Alaska , @Ambi , @kestrel , @Gracey , @Judge , @OlLiE , @tw3

Almost everywhere i go:

- Sunglasses
- Cap
- ANC Headphones!

New Threads

Top Bottom