• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory Issues Query

lemonie

Hi all, so since I got diagnosed recently, albeit knew the diagnosis, I was looking back at my childhood and wondered about sensory issues. I mean the ones I am aware of I believe are not too serious or profound, though at times I get wondering if I have issues or am just being picky, or if even NTs feel the same way, so I want your input.

My main issues, are textures of fruit, I cant fathom eating anything with seeds, as just the thought brings shivers, apart from the taste which I find appalling, but I sometimes wonder if its preference or really an issue ?

When it comes to sound, I remember that when I was a kid, I used to scream endlessly at fireworks, then I think most kids do ? The sound of the bands (deep drum sound mostly, trumpets etc) used to make me nauseous, when I was a kid and I used to cry and eventually just throw up because the sound used to bother me so much

Today I went for a coffee with my friend and we went to a busy coffee shop and stayed inside> I asked my NT friend is she thought this was a loud place, and she agreed< however she did not say it bothered her to an extent and it was just a busy coffee shop. However the voices of people seemed almost heightened for me and I could hear the clatters of the teaspoons on plates etc. After five minutes I started to feel pain in my ears and subsequently the whole time we stayed there I had ear pain in both ears - noticeable ear pain and then developed a migraine shortly after we left. I felt tired and drained, which was weird as I did not have any reason to be. I find myself wincing at certain pitches such as children's high screams and the such. but once again I dont know if this is something everyone feels, or if it is just me. I have some similar issues with lights, which I find too bright at times, then again I have the same question issue.

Finally,I have a very low pain tolerance, so a simple poke would be felt for another minute or two after it has been done and would generally feel quite painful to me, to the extent of pressing on a bruise, but once again I wonder if I make a fuss or if I really am hypersensitive to things, I hate people touching me in general, apart from some close people and even certain areas or ways of touching bother me.

I wonder if anyone could give me some insight on this,if you feel similar experiences, if it is something everyone feels or if someone actually has issues but not so heightened, P.s my ears are still slightly bothering me :). I would really like to know what NTs think re these things too.

Last edited:
I didnt find what i was looking for I know everyone is different, however i wonder what bridges the gap between sensory issues and just things that irritate

I didnt find what i was looking for I know everyone is different, however i wonder what bridges the gap between sensory issues and just things that irritate

I used to wonder about that between having hay fever and allergies versus an intense flight/fight reaction to cigarette smoke, as well as sound and light sensitivities. To me they are different issues with different proximate causes.

It's a good question, although in the most technical sense I get the impression it's all still within the realm of disputed theory rather than exact science.

http://www.autismfile.com/science-research/the-autism-and-allergy-overlap

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure all those issues are related to the Asperger's. I avoid noisy places too, and one of the biggest offenders to me is traffic noise - walking does a road wtih cars whooshing by is one of the most stressful things I can think of (other than going to a noisy bar, but why in the world would I subject myself to that?). Walking down busy streets is just something that can't be avoided at times. I live in a Northern Town in BC (Canada), in a remote area with hardly any traffic - a lifestyle goal I pursued over the years to find an environment where I would be comfortable.

Before I got diagnosed, I though that I was just being a wimpy, that everyone else gets stressed to some degree by environmental stimuli, but they were just better at dealing with it - now I realize that they barely register the noises, lights, and other variables in their environment that we Aspies just cannot filter out.

I know what you mean, it's difficult to tell what's normal, what's just you, and what's due to your condition. I couldn't understand how other people could hold a conversation against a lot of background noise, let alone sit through a lot of loud drumming & strumming without getting a migraine, until I started reading up on autism and realised that was what it was. I'm not too bad with flashing lights, but am sensitive to very bright light, and have varifocal/Reacto-O-Light glasses so I don't have to fiddle with clip-on sunglasses on sunny days. A baseball cap also helps, especially keeping the sun out from over the top of my glasses.
I don't like loud traffic either, the worst thing for me is emergency service vehicle sirens - aarrrgggghhhh! Loud lorries also annoy me, especially if I'm with someone and trying to talk.
I'm fine with other sense, with likes and dislikes the same as everybody else, but nothing abnormal. Khaki makes me gag sometimes though!

What was weird for me was going through most of my life just thinking or being told I'm "too picky" or "intolerant".

Had to learn much later those issues likely involve being on the spectrum. Things I have little or no control over.

I am extra sensitive in some areas, rather in-sensitive in others. I tend to have a high pain threshold, wide temperature comfort range, yet very sensitive to humidity. Noise can either bother me very much, or I won't notice it at all, depending on what it is.

Hi all, so since I got diagnosed recently, albeit knew the diagnosis, I was looking back at my childhood and wondered about sensory issues. I mean the ones I am aware of I believe are not too serious or profound, though at times I get wondering if I have issues or am just being picky, or if even NTs feel the same way, so I want your input.

My main issues, are textures of fruit, I cant fathom eating anything with seeds, as just the thought brings shivers, apart from the taste which I find appalling, but I sometimes wonder if its preference or really an issue ?

When it comes to sound, I remember that when I was a kid, I used to scream endlessly at fireworks, then I think most kids do ? The sound of the bands (deep drum sound mostly, trumpets etc) used to make me nauseous, when I was a kid and I used to cry and eventually just throw up because the sound used to bother me so much

Today I went for a coffee with my friend and we went to a busy coffee shop and stayed inside> I asked my NT friend is she thought this was a loud place, and she agreed< however she did not say it bothered her to an extent and it was just a busy coffee shop. However the voices of people seemed almost heightened for me and I could hear the clatters of the teaspoons on plates etc. After five minutes I started to feel pain in my ears and subsequently the whole time we stayed there I had ear pain in both ears - noticeable ear pain and then developed a migraine shortly after we left. I felt tired and drained, which was weird as I did not have any reason to be. I find myself wincing at certain pitches such as children's high screams and the such. but once again I dont know if this is something everyone feels, or if it is just me. I have some similar issues with lights, which I find too bright at times, then again I have the same question issue.

Finally,I have a very low pain tolerance, so a simple poke would be felt for another minute or two after it has been done and would generally feel quite painful to me, to the extent of pressing on a bruise, but once again I wonder if I make a fuss or if I really am hypersensitive to things, I hate people touching me in general, apart from some close people and even certain areas or ways of touching bother me.

I wonder if anyone could give me some insight on this,if you feel similar experiences, if it is something everyone feels or if someone actually has issues but not so heightened, P.s my ears are still slightly bothering me :). I would really like to know what NTs think re these things too.
Clasic Touch sensitive autism issues Lemonie...Baest wishes...Mael:fourleaf:

Before I got diagnosed, I though that I was just being a wimpy, that everyone else gets stressed to some degree by environmental stimuli, but they were just better at dealing with it - now I realize that they barely register the noises, lights, and other variables in their environment that we Aspies just cannot filter out.[/QUOTE]

yep, i see it that way too, I mean I was at a place today with a friend of mine and I could here the music that was being played, the humming of the machines and talking of people at the same time, she could not hear the machine and it was right next to her, and i was around a metre or so away, and could hear it clearly. So i guess its just heightened hearing in all senses really ? I guess those who have very bad sensory issues cannot choose to consciously block one or two out ? I dont know, I know I don't have major sensory issues from what it seems, I'm just curious to figure out what individuals who do have them feel physiologically - if its for example coming in a way of ear pain, then headaches or nausea, or anything really.

I know what you mean, it's difficult to tell what's normal, what's just you, and what's due to your condition. I couldn't understand how other people could hold a conversation against a lot of background noise, let alone sit through a lot of loud drumming & strumming without getting a migraine, until I started reading up on autism and realised that was what it was. I'm not too bad with flashing lights, but am sensitive to very bright light, and have varifocal/Reacto-O-Light glasses so I don't have to fiddle with clip-on sunglasses on sunny days. A baseball cap also helps, especially keeping the sun out from over the top of my glasses.
I don't like loud traffic either, the worst thing for me is emergency service vehicle sirens - aarrrgggghhhh! Loud lorries also annoy me, especially if I'm with someone and trying to talk.
I'm fine with other sense, with likes and dislikes the same as everybody else, but nothing abnormal. Khaki makes me gag sometimes though!

yes I agree with you on all of those, I guess maybe its a question of trusting your instinctings, however what I do get when I try to find out is basically - 'I think you are trying to find excuses to blame on your condition, or you are looking for things to attribute to that' - why on earth would I want to have any excess or attribute anything to a condition, its not like im pretending or asking to have sensitivities!!! Khaki --- i have that hate hate relationship with cucumber hahaha

Certain sounds can make me nauseous as well as cause headaches, as well as certain scents and textures. lemonie, do you also have synesthesia? This, as far as I know, can cause more intensive sensory discomfort (or pleasure,depending upon what the stimulus is!)

As for not being able to filter, I have lost track of how many times some "expert" has advised me that my sensory overload issues would magically vanish if I would just meditate. I know that meditation works for most people but it does absolutely nothing for me. And as a child, I was often accused of being picky, difficult, or attention seeking when I protested against things like wearing red (I hated that color for a long time) or having to eat slimy oatmeal or jello, or having to eat with a utensil that had a flavor that only I could detect.

Low tones even at low volumes under 100 hz can drive me bonkers like last night. Apparently my neighbor has a new audio system. Not good.

As for the landscapers running their leaf blowers every Thursday or Friday...who doesn't hate that? :eek:

Certain sounds can make me nauseous as well as cause headaches, as well as certain scents and textures. lemonie, do you also have synesthesia? This, as far as I know, can cause more intensive sensory discomfort (or pleasure,depending upon what the stimulus is!)

As for not being able to filter, I have lost track of how many times some "expert" has advised me that my sensory overload issues would magically vanish if I would just meditate. I know that meditation works for most people but it does absolutely nothing for me. And as a child, I was often accused of being picky, difficult, or attention seeking when I protested against things like wearing red (I hated that color for a long time) or having to eat slimy oatmeal or jello, or having to eat with a utensil that had a flavor that only I could detect.

I dont havr synaesthesia that i know of, from what i learnt about it in uni, i dont experience things that way. I wish someone would come up with a comprehensive list to make life easier, so sensory for example sensitivity to sound can manifest itself as - a), b) etc. i wonder if someone ever compiled a list, maybe we should compile a list!

I dont havr synaesthesia that i know of, from what i learnt about it in uni, i dont experience things that way. I wish someone would come up with a comprehensive list to make life easier, so sensory for example sensitivity to sound can manifest itself as - a), b) etc. i wonder if someone ever compiled a list, maybe we should compile a list!

On the other hand, certain smells can cause me to physically feel content, i cant explain it, though smells i like make me happy, and i am more excitable and animated i guess. It doesnt make sense really, to get excited over a smell or a texture which i can keep stroking. The only way i can describe how i feel is if i smell or touch something and it makes me feel actually happy and content, calming jn a way i guess.... i feel like what i say is a load of rubbish, as i dont think people can describe things such as the smell of something making them feel content and calm and pleased, same with stroking things such as soft carpets and what not

On the other hand, certain smells can cause me to physically feel content, i cant explain it, though smells i like make me happy, and i am more excitable and animated i guess. It doesnt make sense really, to get excited over a smell or a texture which i can keep stroking. The only way i can describe how i feel is if i smell or touch something and it makes me feel actually happy and content, calming jn a way i guess.... i feel like what i say is a load of rubbish, as i dont think people can describe things such as the smell of something making them feel content and calm and pleased, same with stroking things such as soft carpets and what not
I do know what you mean, there! I have a jar of face cream that has a scent that makes me feel warm and nurtured. There are smells that can make me feel in an uplifted, positive mood, too.

I do know what you mean, there! I have a jar of face cream that has a scent that makes me feel warm and nurtured. There are smells that can make me feel in an uplifted, positive mood, too.

So the question once again is... do nts feel this way too about such trivial things ?? I mean even the way a sentence is done, or a pun can be used, or clever things with language actually please me and get me excited, its weird getting to know myself snd that things that i considered normal for the greater part of my life that i was aware of, are actually quirks.

New Threads

Top Bottom