• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory Deprivation

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Does anyone else take comfort in hiding their head in their hands when stressed? I know it's quite a stark and disconcerting look - because I'm forever being asked if I'm ok when people see me doing it.

No, I'm not ok - but I tell them I'm fine. Don't really have the time to condense 17+ years of discomfort into a response.

I like sitting in a dark room too, so I can only assume it's a sensory thing. A bit like meditation - simply closing your eyes can reduce stressors and make you feel calmer.

At my parents, the room I'm staying in has blackout blinds plus very large blackout curtains which stretch from the the top of the wall near the ceiling, all the way down to the carpet. As such, at any time of the day I can have the room as dark as it would be in at night.

Whenever my mum sees this she asks the same question she has asked all my adult life.

"Do you want me to open the curtains?"
"Don't you want to let some light in?"
"Doesn't that hurt your eyes being in the dark."

No, no and no.

Thing is, people are often creatures of habit. Perhaps none more-so than people with ASD. As such, why do I keep getting asked the same questions time after time? I mask my replies in an attempt to stay civil. Because being asked the same question hundreds of times does wear your patience a little thin. Sometimes the reply will be snappy and I get the old favourite line:

"There's no need to shout/be upset."

That's a sure-fire way of taking my normal levels of irritability into the stratosphere. Sometimes I'm thankful for how well I'd mask. Otherwise I think I'd have little to no friends, and wouldn't be able to hold down a job for very long at all.

I guess this is also why my noise cancelling headphones are so helpful at work - if I'm hearing noises, voices or conversations that start to trigger me - I can minimise that stressor by listening to music.

Perhaps this is why I snack constantly at work and stim all the time whilst I'm uncomfortably made to sit in a chair at a desk. I guess I'm either trying to reduce one of my senses impact on my mental wellbeing, or using another sense to try and distract myself from stressors - such as the overeating or physical stimming.

Ed

Last edited:
I confront the repeated question says the isolated hermit mountain man. I do though. One of the greater benefits of therapy for me was role playing, where the counselor would pretend a role in conversation and literally teach me how to talk proper. Very helpful

Yes when I was younger, also before I moved away from the cities I needed to be in the dark sometimes, with quiet. Not such a factor now at nearly fifty. Nature is soothing to me. You might need more sleep or a different sleep cycle. I found that stopping the tv use in general is better on my nervous system, so I'm in bed and asleep by like 8:30 or nine. I like the morning better, it's more hopeful

The other day my husband asked "have you seen...". I answered no and didn't really think about it. But a few minutes later the item was obviously right in front of me. I realized I had been wandering around with my eyes closed. And then it occured to me that I must do that often without thinking about it. Especially in the early morning or at night.
But when stress is a factor I like small, dark spaces. A cozy closet is just the thing.
In fact, one way I soothe myself to sleep is to imagine a pod or cubboard bed and I add drawers and little cubbies for my trinkets. Just enough spece for me alone.

I too am soothed by nature but even the peace I get from nature is not the same feeling I get as seperating myself from everything else. A subconscious need to recreare a womb like environment perhaps.

I'm in bed by 20:30 - 21:00 myself these days.

I find I need "me time" at work by hiding away in the toilets. Read an ebook for a few minutes. Just take a breather. Or just look at myself in the mirror - I do that a lot. Probably looking for skin or spots to pick. Or just observing myself stimming.

Oh, and I like to hide under my blanket for a bit before I actually get ready to go to sleep. Something feels really safe about hiding under the covers and looking at my phone. It gets me a bit hyper when I first throw the duvet above my head.

Ed

It's good to embrace darkness and really listen to the world around you. Sometimes seeing is just too much and it's nice to hide until it feels safer. I to also tend to hide my head in my hands when I am stressed I also like to lie on the floor in a dark room.

Yes, darkness is becoming my friend. You can't see people, it's like they don't exist, we are just in our own little bubbles. Autism to me means being in my own little bubble. So l am not not seeing, l am just confined to my world. And there isn't room for anything else.

I think I do a form of it as a matter of course. That is habitually blocking out outside stimulus in various ways. Some are physical actions such as moving away from noise sources, people, etc. Others are mental blocking out techniques I guess. I do try and hide what I am doing but occasionally people do notice. When that happens it depends upon who it is. If it is someone that knows me and my condition we can usually work it out, such as me saying I really need some mental down time, etc. If it is just aquaintences/strangers I find it is, in the long run, easier to just find the mask and put it on and tough it out, rather then try and explain/or have a mini melt down. Its hard to put on the mask, but easier usually then dealing with the explanation discussion or fallout from a meltdown.

Does anyone else take comfort in hiding their head in their hands when stressed? I know it's quite a stark and disconcerting look - because I'm forever being asked if I'm ok when people see me doing it.

No, I'm not ok - but I tell them I'm fine. Don't really have the time to condense 17+ years of discomfort into a response.

I like sitting in a dark room too, so I can only assume it's a sensory thing. A bit like meditation - simply closing your eyes can reduce stressors and make you feel calmer...

Most of the stress people experience is caused by their own beliefs triggering distressing emotions. If you practice thinking more positively, you won't be stressed as often. The 17+ years of discomfort doesn't have to affect you as much as it does now if you change the way you think about it so it doesn't result in emotions that cause stress.

The reason people ask if you're ok is because they want you to know they noticed your distress since most people feel better when other people pay attention and notice how they feel. They want you to provide a simple answer that you're stressed or having a bad day so they can say something positive to help you feel better.

The reason people respond with "There's no need to shout/be upset" if you react negatively is because they were doing a good deed trying to help you feel better and your reaction resulted in them feeling worse.

"Doesn't that hurt your eyes being in the dark."

That's the first I've ever heard of this.. so does being in the dark hurt NTs eyes? Is that even possible? I know dimmed lights bothers some people but darkness? Interesting.

I do the same when I'm overloaded, holding my head in my hands that is. Sometimes I go into my closet and sit or lie down which helps. I love darkness though. I know I can navigate in familiar places in pitch black without trouble, even know exactly where to reach for things. Not sure if this is common or not.

Most of the stress people experience is caused by their own beliefs triggering distressing emotions. If you practice thinking more positively, you won't be stressed as often. The 17+ years of discomfort doesn't have to affect you as much as it does now if you change the way you think about it so it doesn't result in emotions that cause stress.

The reason people ask if you're ok is because they want you to know they noticed your distress since most people feel better when other people pay attention and notice how they feel. They want you to provide a simple answer that you're stressed or having a bad day so they can say something positive to help you feel better.

The reason people respond with "There's no need to shout/be upset" if you react negatively is because they were doing a good deed trying to help you feel better and your reaction resulted in them feeling worse.

But in some places, people offer to be helpful or ask how you are doing but their motives are anything but nice, they can actually border on criminal in my state.

New Threads

Top Bottom