1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Self-medicating and autism.

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Major Tom, Feb 11, 2020 at 4:48 AM.

Tags:
  1. rainfall

rainfall Playing in the rain =P

I know what you mean about the father being violent and mean when drinking. It's terrifying as a child.

Thank you. I in no way meant to sound like I'm stronger for it because I think that it takes huge strength to be addicted, admit you have a problem and then get free. It's a very difficult thing to do that a lot stay stuck in a cycle of instead of truly being sober. I applaud anyone who even admits they have an issue, it's the first step to getting the help you need. I have known many who couldn't get past this step. =(

Exactly. I have thought the same about myself in different ways. We are who we are and I'm sure most would agree with you on your assessment of yourself. You have been a decent person as long as I've known you here always trying to help others with whatever you're able to. =)

Again, it took a lot for you to write this and I hope that even if they don't post, it does help someone out there who has read it. =)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. garnetflower13

garnetflower13 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Some amazing stories here! I have been prescribed Klonopin, and at first it was heaven sent since I used to have night terrors where I would wake up screaming; I even injured myself trying to run away from things in my sleep. Then I got sick of feeling drugged all the time and after moving to another state, I quit taking it cold turkey. I went into a sort of manic phase where I couldn't sleep, and since I was starting a new job it wreaked havoc on my health. Later I found that you should never stop a benzo abruptly. I had to go on Prednisone multiple times due to severe autoimmune flare ups, but each time it was a measured dose; the longest I was ever on it was for six months. I am on prescription meds now for severe health issues, but I am not happy about it. I tried medical marijuana, but it did absolutely nothing for pain, besides which I have problems with it (paranoia, etc). I have not experienced taking drugs for recreational purposes, but have absolutely no judgement on those who do - the reasons that drugs are approached sounds anything but recreational. Most people are reacting the the extreme pain of living through emotional stress.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

Damn I thought this was gonna be a advice thread.

4. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Nope. I tend to just take life on the chin, no matter how bad things might get. Maybe it's just my way of "punishing" myself. Wondering the day when everything finally catches up with me for the last time. :oops:

I like the taste of whiskey, but not to get drunk on...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Major Tom

Major Tom Searching for ground control... V.I.P Member

It is, if you can't see it maybe you are reading it wrong or didn't get to the end..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Major Tom

That's good and I wish I'd have taken that route, but I didn't. I tend to learn things the hard way or not at all.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

I meant that I thought this wanna be a thread where people talk about psychiatric meds for ASD.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. aspie1w

aspie1w Well-Known Member

I have never been medicated myself with stuffs that don't know how would work unless there stuff I have or will use I know how would work or react , one time for an error of a doctor ended up taking an antihistamine thing for a while till get the doctor appointment basically to use the side effect in my favor one time worked the second time I had a severe or worse similar problem that had to take appointment of urgency with my doctor don't worked at all or were expired , and well an medication that a doctor prescribed me caused things gets worse. so learned to be user of the medications but have a certain part of don't expect anything and just be observer and don't trust in New medications till see if works as should.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Major Tom

Oh I see, in that case I'd have titled it "Prescription medication and autism" or something of the sort. Which I also do have experience with. Both on a personal level and with my son with ASD 3. In my experience, there is little if any prescription medication that helps much with autism, maybe make you a little calmer if you are prone to meltdowns, like Risperdal, and Abilify. But there is no magical pill.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia *⊱•••✩•••⊰* V.I.P Member

So, I meant to post here several times but always ended up deleting my draft.

I did these things and quit all of them. The order is "most" to "last".

- Smoked Cigarettes
    - Drank Coffee
    - Drank Alcohol
    - Smoked Weed

I also once tried an Ecstasy pill. Well. I tried a splitted pill, not a full one.

The odd thing is. I'm very scared of losing control. Which is prolly also the reason why I'm no longer smoking weed. Not that I felt I've lost control the last times when I did it, but I don't wanna end up without control. It's similar with Alcohol, I guess. I don't exactly lose control, but I honestly don't like me too much if I have too much of it. I'm also quite scared of regular medicine, even the one that can be bought over the counter. I'd like to try Melatonin since people recommend it to me, but I'm even scared of that. I'd just like to have something harmless that doesn't only help me fall asleep but also helps me to sleep through. I sometimes had that when I drank alcohol but I'd rather not have drinks before bed (again), especially since I've read numerous times now that the sleep isn't as relaxing as we seem to think it would be. I'm of course not juding anyone who might do any of these.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Alexej

Alexej Active Member

Now that is one I recognise in myself.
    Being out of control is anathema to me

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. aspie1w

aspie1w Well-Known Member

I have never attempted recreational or illegal drugs and or smoke and alcohol later of watch the damages of those In my family and one uncle when used drugs and alcohol together became a beast prefer don't even think in try those stuffs

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. garnetflower13

I think there were two things that make me not abuse alcohol and drugs; one was I hate the feeling of a drug or other substance invading my body. The other was not liking to feel I was out of control.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Major Tom

I was always in control, other than during the ketamine experience, or so I thought as I was high on meth building enclosures out of emergency blankets. :p... I can understand how you feel though, as I witnessed an out of control drunk biological father while growing up. I should have learned from that. I did never let alcohol do that to me, but a couple of drugs got the better of me.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  15. garnetflower13

Yea, I hear you on the drunk father out of control! Same here.:(

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  16. HighFunctioningAutist

HighFunctioningAutist New Member

I've medicated most of my life with excessive quantities of food, more specifically sugar to my physical detriment.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  17. Miagar

Miagar New Member

WEED WAS MY THING

Literally like the Harold & Kumar movies, I was lovingly attached to weed for most of my 20s. Hanging around stoners helped me to blend (I don't have to act less weird when we're all acting weird) and it helped me to relax.

Eventually I realised I loved it so much that it became an attachment stronger than my bonds with humans, animals, nature or even myself. I wanted to be more present and less reliant.

About 3 months after quitting weed, getting into reading about psychology and deciding to get therapy, I discovered I'm autistic.

Like many others in this thread, alcohol was never my thing, but i like being around tipsy people! Makes me feel less observed and more relaxed.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Major Tom

Thanks for your reply and nice to meet you. I love cannabis, but I never felt that I lost myself to it, if anything it made me feel more in touch with everything and everyone. It did however get me into some sketchy situations, and I guess if I never got into it, I may have been able to evade the 2 drugs that really took me for a ride.

That being said, I think I took the road I did for a reason. If only to be an example as to what others shouldn't do haha :p.

The Emerald Triangle is a beautiful, yet scary place. The most missing people in the USA went missing in Humboldt county. I think because of how other drugs got into the mix of the cannabis industry, but I can't say for sure. I was there during the last year or two of its "glory days". It truly was like the wild west out there.

If you do find yourself out there some day, do visit the redwoods, that's probably the best part. The coast is beautiful too, but if you go to the beach wear thick soled shoes.. There's old rusty needles all over in the sand. It's pretty sad how such a beautiful place is so depraved it kind of is reminiscent of Dante's Inferno. NorCal is one of the 7 layers of hell.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. christopher.k

christopher.k roosterman

I'm interested in hallucinogenic drugs but am nervous about the potential lasting effects on my mind and never managed to find people with the network for it
    And alcohol simply acts like a sleeping pill for me so I can't use it as a social tool unfortunately
    I do however find music therapeutic persifickly for the gnawing dread that threatens to take me at times

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

When I was young I consumed quite a few psychedelics. Pot, mushrooms, LSD, MDMA. Also some speed. I think I picked up a few useful insights from them. There was also the sensuality and the euphoria they provided.

For about 25 years I was on SSRIs, mostly Prozac. You shouldn't do psychedelics and SSRIs at the same time. Psychedelics usually work in the serotonin pathway while SSRIs inhibit your body's ability to process serotonin. Very unpleasant trip, depending on what you are doing.

• Agree Agree x 1