• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self-employment?

Ambi

Is anyone here self-employed? Any experiences - successful or unsuccessful, any advice? What services/products did you offer?

I've done some self-employment to limited success. For a while I sold stuff on Ebay- mostly things such as (comics, cards, some video games) that I was ready to let go of. I honestly didn't make a big profit much. Shipping is a pain and gets expensive for bigger things! I use to sell stuff to local people through Craigs List- but many people wouldn't show up, then at times they would try to barter the price down. Never had any super bad experiences through either of those- so might try them again one day.

I've also done random surveys on websites in the past- they usually don't pay well for the time spent on them.

I think this year I will try to sell stuff at Flea Markets and rummage sales. Getting a table is cheap, plus my wife and possibly a friend can help me out. I don't want to be alone with customers because I would feel bad if I don't agree with what they haggle the price of something to be. Usually it's an unwritten rule for people to ask for a better deal if they want. If I just turn them down.. I will lose a sale and could make them upset. I know I can just say "all prices firm" but people ignore that a lot, so that is on them more but I still feel sad if I lose a possible sale. This year I might also try to sell stuff on Fiverr.

Also I'm slowly working on a book (possibly might be a trilogy). I really hope I can do it but I get writer's block a ton. I struggle due to my depression and other stuff.

I have done software development as a business.

I learn the biggest problem I had is not having a clear defined target market, having trouble with marketing, and not good with sales calls. All three things are very important to have a successful business. For people who struggle with this, if you can find a good person that willing to help for low to no cost at all, then it will make it easier to run the business.

I'd love to be self employed, but it needs a lot of organisation... I'd have to work on that

I don't really count myself as self-employed, but I do hand make hats and sell them at comic conventions. I should make more of an effort to sell them outside of cons, but yeah..haven't so far.

I should make more of an effort to sell them outside of cons, but yeah..haven't so far.

Yes, you should. :)

Does Britain have many seasonal craft fairs? Nevada is quite tourist-oriented which encourages self-employed arts & crafts development and sales.

I always look forward each year to the "Candy Dance" in our oldest town, Genoa. A huge display of arts & crafts....all for sale.

Town of Genoa, Nevada - Candy Dance Faire

Yes, you should. :)

Does Britain have many seasonal craft fairs? Nevada is quite tourist-oriented which encourages self-employed arts & crafts development and sales.

I always look forward each year to the "Candy Dance" in our oldest town, Genoa. A huge display of arts & crafts....all for sale.

Town of Genoa, Nevada - Candy Dance Faire

Ugh, craft fairs :p

There are quite a lot of them in my city, but 99.9% of them fall into one of two categories: people who professionally make very exclusive, very expensive products (jewellery, homewares, art etc) and nobody goes because they can't afford that stuff...or...people who make stuff as a hobby and they're not so good at it, so people don't go because they could find better made stuff online.

There's no sort of middle ground, and I've been to a lot of craft fairs, and not one was well attended at all. They mostly all require you to have a table and chairs of your own, which I don't have. At least at comic cons, that stuff is provided! Another problem with craft fairs is that a lot of them are wary of things that are copyright infringing. Although I have recently begun to make headbands that are just unicorns/animal ears, the vast majority of my hats are based on characters from cartoons/video games/anime.

There are quite a lot of them in my city, but 99.9% of them fall into one of two categories: people who professionally make very exclusive, very expensive products (jewellery, homewares, art etc) and nobody goes because they can't afford that stuff...or...people who make stuff as a hobby and they're not so good at it, so people don't go because they could find better made stuff online.

There's no sort of middle ground, and I've been to a lot of craft fairs, and not one was well attended at all. They mostly all require you to have a table and chairs of your own, which I don't have. At least at comic cons, that stuff is provided! Another problem with craft fairs is that a lot of them are wary of things that are copyright infringing. Although I have recently begun to make headbands that are just unicorns/animal ears, the vast majority of my hats are based on characters from cartoons/video games/anime.

Wow...that's too bad. Here it's rather consistent...mostly high-quality handmade stuff that many people are willing to pay for. Rare to see anything that even remotely could be construed as copyright infringement. I always cringe for any artist though who would be foolish enough to create something for sale based on a Disney character. Ouch...big trouble!

Last edited:
Dancing is classified as self-employment, taxes are filed thus. Good thing is we litterly get to write off everything we buy.

I like the fact that I don't have to go out and advertise/find customers myself though, that would just be too much.

I'm thinking of being self-employed long term, but would have to employ an administrator as I know my organisation skills would mean that I lose paperwork/money/get fined by the tax people. I'm working up to it.

Do you have an Etsy store? It seems like a good place for people to buy special interest gifts. But I don't know if they do that whole copyright infringement thing. I watched that documentary about Bronies (I couldn't help myself, I had no idea there was such a thing!), and I thought it was interesting that the producers of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic didn't seem bothered by the wide array of My Little Pony stuff the fans were making and selling. But I digress :)

Do you have an Etsy store? It seems like a good place for people to buy special interest gifts. But I don't know if they do that whole copyright infringement thing. I watched that documentary about Bronies (I couldn't help myself, I had no idea there was such a thing!), and I thought it was interesting that the producers of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic didn't seem bothered by the wide array of My Little Pony stuff the fans were making and selling. But I digress :)

I did have an Etsy shop, and they in no way care about copyright (although I'm sure that's not the official line)...a quick search will bring up hundreds of items made by different people, all of which are from the one end loosely based on a character, all the way up to actually looking like a genuine product.

I gave up on my Etsy shop because it's basically so saturated now, that (according to Etsy's own help pages) you need to have around 100 items listed at any time to really have any chances of selling. The problem with that is that it costs (a smal amount, but it mounts up) for every listing and I hand sew each one of my hats.

I have also seen the Bronie documentary, and yeah, it's nice that they seem to want to encourage the community they have to express their creativity.

I started out as a paralegal for a firm but now I offer administrative, book keeping and paralegal services under my own business. I cover company, property and concept development. I've also done web design, copy editing, photography, marketing, etc.

The areas I struggle with are dealing with new clients...their business is usually in trouble and I have to reorganize it ... even though they asked for my help, they still don't want to be told what they've been doing is inefficient, financially detrimental ... or that they need to change. Especially from a woman ...:eek:
I like the autonomy... I like if I'm having an off day I can stay home.

I started out as a paralegal for a firm but now I offer administrative, book keeping and paralegal services under my own business. I cover company, property and concept development. I've also done web design, copy editing, photography, marketing, etc.

The areas I struggle with are dealing with new clients...their business is usually in trouble and I have to reorganize it ... even though they asked for my help, they still don't want to be told what they've been doing is inefficient, financially detrimental ... or that they need to change. Especially from a woman ...:eek:
I like the autonomy... I like if I'm having an off day I can stay home.
I was just recently considering whether becoming a paralegal would be a good option for me! There is an accelerated certificate course at my local community college. I was wondering if it is too high stress/multi-task oriented, though? I previously had a job with html coding, I liked that, but I have wrist issues that really flare up if I am constantly typing and mousing.

I was just recently considering whether becoming a paralegal would be a good option for me! There is an accelerated certificate course at my local community college. I was wondering if it is too high stress/multi-task oriented, though? I previously had a job with html coding, I liked that, but I have wrist issues that really flare up if I am constantly typing and mousing.
It's lots of typing and organising info, docs, evidence, etc. It helps to be organised and efficient but you learn systems as you go that work best for you.
Clients want their docs asap so it can be stressful at times if you let them pressure you. It's definitely not multi tasking. One thing at a time. Be thorough and precise. You are being paid for attention to detail.
I recommend you look into it further to see if it's for you ;)

It's lots of typing and organising info, docs, evidence, etc. It helps to be organised and efficient but you learn systems as you go that work best for you.
Clients want their docs asap so it can be stressful at times if you let them pressure you. It's definitely not multi tasking. One thing at a time. Be thorough and precise. You are being paid for attention to detail.
I recommend you look into it further to see if it's for you ;)
Thank you so much. All jobs are stressful in some way, so I am willing to take a look. I am really feeling like I am at a dead end right now, so I've gotta do something.

Thank you so much. All jobs are stressful in some way, so I am willing to take a look. I am really feeling like I am at a dead end right now, so I've gotta do something.
It's a job that you can do in an office or at home. Once you know the procedures and legal jargon it's pretty straightforward. A lot is just transposing docs into the right forms. Boring but easy enough. Bit of research ... online stuff ... etc. I think it's a good fit for aspergers...pedantic on rules... high memory retention...attention to small detail...ability to focus for long periods on a singular task.
I do it to supplement income.

I am self employed and successful. I hire NT's to do the things I can't do well or don't want to do. They get a job by making my life easier --- I get to concentrate on what makes the money. Win/win!!!

think this year I will try to sell stuff at Flea Markets and rummage sales. Getting a table is cheap, plus my wife and possibly a friend can help me out. I don't want to be alone with customers because I would feel bad if I don't agree with what they haggle the price of something to be. Usually it's an unwritten rule for people to ask for a better deal if they want. If I just turn them down.. I will lose a sale and could make them upset. I know I can just say "all prices firm" but people ignore that a lot, so that is on them more but I still feel sad if I lose a possible sale. This year I might also try to sell stuff on Fiverr.
Most of the Aspies I know are exceptionally talented in on-line research. This can be a valuable asset to any antique/classic car/collectable business. Your mission is to help them locate items for which they may already have a buyer willing to pay $$$$. The process is simple: they provide you a list of the items they are seeking along with purchase price guidance. You locate seller. Could be an auction, private seller, yard sale, flea market, going-out-of business merchandise etc. Connect them with the buyer and collect a pre-agreed "finder fee" The major investment/risk you have is with your time-not your money. They handle all the business arrangements so you do not have to buy or sell anything. And since you are self employed and likely using a home office, you can claim all your expenses at tax time.

New Threads

Top Bottom