• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self-Diagnosing

noah

Hello, I'm Noah, I'm 17. I found out about this forum some minutes ago (I don't really know how it works), while researching about autism. I have been doing this for months, and I think I may be autistic. I took dozens of tests (they all turned out positive) and I can relate to most of the things I've read about it. A lot of things about me started making sense. The thing is, I can't see a therapist, so I don't know if I am autistic or if I have aspergers. Would it be okay if I self-diagnosed? I haven't told anyone I know, and I don't think I'm going to. I've been doing all this research and getting to know myself better for me. But I don't know it it's appropriate for me to diagnose myself.
That's it, I'm sorry if what I wrote is confusing, I'm a little sleep deprived. Also, english isn't my first language.
Thanks.

Would it be okay if I self-diagnosed?
Not a problem for this site - there are many people who are self-diagnosed, because they have only just realised that they are on the spectrum or because they are waiting for an assessment or diagnosis, or because for various reasons they choose not to get an official diagnosis. In real life, I would be wary of telling people without an official diagnosis to back it up - many people are sceptical and don't take self-diagnoses seriously, and obviously, if you need any official support such as work/school/college accommodations, you will need a diagnosis. It might help, though, to tell close family members and those you feel you can trust about it, to help them understand you better.

Not a problem for this site - there are many people who are self-diagnosed, because they have only just realised that they are on the spectrum or because they are waiting for an assessment or diagnosis, or because for various reasons they choose not to get an official diagnosis. In real life, I would be wary of telling people without an official diagnosis to back it up - many people are sceptical and don't take self-diagnoses seriously, and obviously, if you need any official support such as work/school/college accommodations, you will need a diagnosis. It might help, though, to tell close family members and those you feel you can trust about it, to help them understand you better.
Thanks for replying.
I wasn't thinking of telling anyone at school because I'm on my senior year. So, yes, I think I'm going to keep it to myself and maybe tell my friend. And I'm going to keep on researching about it. Thanks again, you're really helpful.

There's a lot of people self diagnosed on this forum, so no worries there.

Welcome to the forums!

upload_2020-2-10_6-33-15.png

Warm wellcome to the forums

As others alredy said NO problems many are self diagnosed in here and this is no big deal in here :cool:

Hi and welcome. A lot of people in my generation didn't have enough information available to self diagnose when young. The Internet along with better understanding of autism and Aspergers, has made that more of a possibility. I m 62, self diagnosed a few years ago, (also having relevant qualifications and experience of Aspergers through work).

I would have been glad to know earlier, as it would have likely helped me understand myself better and form more well focussed strategies. However, I don't think I would have spoken of it at work when younger, and of course as I didn't know about it, I couldn't plan strategies as well as I might have, but still coped ok.

Whether you want or would get a diagnosis, if some of the aspects apply to you, you will likely benefit from reading information and ideas relevant to Aspergers. I hope that you enjoy it here.

:herb::leafwind::seedling::cactus::palmtree::seedling::leafwind::herb:

Hello, I'm Noah, I'm 17. I found out about this forum some minutes ago (I don't really know how it works), while researching about autism. I have been doing this for months, and I think I may be autistic. I took dozens of tests (they all turned out positive) and I can relate to most of the things I've read about it. A lot of things about me started making sense. The thing is, I can't see a therapist, so I don't know if I am autistic or if I have aspergers. Would it be okay if I self-diagnosed? I haven't told anyone I know, and I don't think I'm going to. I've been doing all this research and getting to know myself better for me. But I don't know it it's appropriate for me to diagnose myself.
That's it, I'm sorry if what I wrote is confusing, I'm a little sleep deprived. Also, english isn't my first language.
Thanks.
Hi Noah, welcome to the forum. This site has been great for me to understand more. I am not an Aspie (although I think I do have some tendencies) my son is and it has really helped me more than anything to understand. My son was officially diagnosed a few years ago (he is 31 now) I do think that if I had any idea he had ASD I would have had him diagnosed a long time ago, thinking that he could be helped faster. The way his counselor put it "Having a professional diagnosis can open certain doors" In the case of my son, it was because he was on disability, it added to his symptoms. Physically he has ailments that prevent him from working...All his doctors told him he needed to go on disability because of them but at the disability board they didn't think he was sick enough and there were some jobs they felt he could do. The trouble was his ASD prevented him from even trying to get those jobs, and his physical ailments did also, more so but having this professional diagnosis added to that and was considered more where as if he didn't have it diagnosed they wouldn't even consider it. What I have learned in the past from this site as well as other sites If you want help or just understand things you don't need to be professionally diagnosed, you can get help or self diagnose but if there is any legal bounds you need to cross, only a diagnosis will help you. That is just from what we have been through, other's may have a different perspective on that.

Hiya Noah!
I also fit in the mostly self diagnosed camp here.. I say mostly, cause I have had a counsellor suggest it to me as well, but ASD wasn't her specialty (she did her thesis on it though).
Anyways, I can totally identify with the idea of a lot of things starting to make sense once you have that mindset. It's like a puzzle coming together.. I wonder how helpful that would've been if I'd figured it out 23 years ago when I was your age instead of just last year.. :p

Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forum Noah!

Self-diagnosis will hold on here but not outside the forum I'm afraid. People just won't believe you if you don't have the paper in most cases.

Self-diagnosed here as well :).

Welcome, @noah. You don't have to be officially diagnosed to be here. There are a lot of good topics, questions, and answers on this site. You'll have to poke around, try things, and find out what works for you.

I hope you find this forum as welcoming and useful as I have.

Welcome, @noah. You don't have to be officially diagnosed to be here. There are a lot of good topics, questions, and answers on this site. You'll have to poke around, try things, and find out what works for you.

I hope you find this forum as welcoming and useful as I have.
Thanks, I'm going to keep looking around the posts and try to understand this website better.

Hiya Noah!
I also fit in the mostly self diagnosed camp here.. I say mostly, cause I have had a counsellor suggest it to me as well, but ASD wasn't her specialty (she did her thesis on it though).
Anyways, I can totally identify with the idea of a lot of things starting to make sense once you have that mindset. It's like a puzzle coming together.. I wonder how helpful that would've been if I'd figured it out 23 years ago when I was your age instead of just last year.. :p

Welcome to the forums!
Wow, that makes me realize I'm kind of lucky to be young right now. Thanks for the positivity!

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

I myself am Self Diagnosed; a Self Diagnosis is valid, no matter what anyone says.

Some people do seek out an official diagnosis as a form of closure, though many don't as well for the sake of not seeing any benefits from it, or they don't want to spend the $ or wait so long.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

I myself am Self Diagnosed; a Self Diagnosis is valid, no matter what anyone says.

Some people do seek out an official diagnosis as a form of closure, though many don't as well for the sake of not seeing any benefits from it, or they don't want to spend the $ or wait so long.
Well thanks, you are all making me feel valid, I really appreciate it!

Hi Noah, welcome. Many people here are self-diagnosed and you are unlikely to encounter anyone on this forum who does not accept you because of it. This is a very inclusive, helpful and supportive forum. I began with self-diagnosis and have recently had a formal assessment. Where I live getting an assessment as an adult is difficult and costs quite a lot so not everyone has access to a formal diagnosis. My psychologist told me that 4/5 of the adults she has seen for an autism assessment turned out to be autistic and the 4 who were autistic had initially self-diagnosed, whereas the fifth person (also an adult) was brought for assessment by parents who suspected autism. Trust your self-knowledge and your ability to research this topic. As you learn more you will discover that the term Aspergers is no longer an official diagnosis though some people who were given that diagnosis still use it. I believe it was discontinued in North America before being discontinued in the UK but I am not sure about elsewhere in the world.

New Threads

Top Bottom