• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self confidence has always been a battle for me.

Marcus

Star Wars enthusiast
I like to think that the title should explain this better than anything I could possibly write here.

I've never been the most confident or proud person in the world, especially with the past I have... and I won't dare go into that mess.. I'd be here for hours.

One of the biggest responses I get to my lack of confidence is "take an anti-depressant." Yeah.... like I wasn't force fed those for 12 years... (dug into my past there, sorry.)

I'm not looking for sympathy on this, but when you think of yourself as lower than literally a rock, you would think that no amount of hateful words or anything of that nature could bring you any lower, I certainly wish that was true.

I hear all the time that "you beat yourself up a lot" well, once you've experienced and lived the life I have, you'd understand a little better.

This lack of confidence has pushed many opportunities and people from my life, apparently it's an absolute requirement that you have to be extremely arrogant to make it in this world or be important to anyone..

If that's truly the case, then I'll stick to staying in the darkness that I've grown accustomed to.

What happens when somebody says, 'Well you seem like an ok guy
to me. Not perfect. Not superman but a guy that I
could hang out with some.'

Does anybody ever say something like that?
Would that lower your opinion of that person?
Or what?

I don't get complimented often, in fact friendly comments of any kind are rare, and before anyone says "oh, it can't be that bad" it is.. I wouldn't lie about something like this.

It wouldn't lower my opinion of anyone that said something positive about me, I just wouldn't believe a word they said. I don't think I deserve that kind of attention.

I understand the feeling. Having ASD means there is a natural disconnect between you and other people and since we are possibly the most social species on the planet it puts you at a pretty big disadvantage in many areas of life. However I know many arrogant people who are lonely and many humble people with a broad network of friends. Confidence is putting yourself out there and with the possibility to get hurt but arrogance is putting down and hurting other people. I have been pretty lucky in regards to friends because while I don't have many friends I have unique awesome true friends. My lack of self confidence comes from dating. Dating is so hard and judgmental and no matter how much you like someone if you don't meet their standards or criteria then you are less than worthless. It has always been a sore spot for me living in a world if you're pushing near thirty and you've never had a girlfriend you are a freak of nature. But I think therapy or counseling could do you some good to combat these feelings.

@Marcus Chorn
So, if some person noted that you weren't actually worthless
you wouldn't believe it. What does that indicate
about your thoughts regarding others?

It seems to imply that if Person X says you don't totally suck,
that person is wrong. They aren't much good either, since they
can't tell you deserve nothing in the way of positive regard.

That would be an "I'm not OK, you're not OK either" position.

I guess you tend to be depressed.

I guess that you're hoping for some sort of feedback from this thread, but I'm not sure what sort of feedback you're looking for.

I wonder in what ways you believe that a rock outperforms you.

I wonder what you mean by self-confidence. I've had people tell me that I lack self-confidence when it comes to dating. I'm not sure, but I guess that what they actually mean is that I lack confidence in what the opinions of other people will be, which seems to me a rather different thing than my confidence in my own abilities unless you consider power over other people's thoughts to be one of my abilities.

first an foremost i tend to see confidence (and assertively) as understanding, acceptance and peace with oneself, both strengths and weaknesses

if you can achieve that, i think that the projection towards others is automatic

often confidence and assertively are equated to getting what you want, nothing could be further from the truth, confidence is believing in yourself and your ideas but accepting that you may be mistaken and that confidences does not mean that people have to agree with you

all of the above is easier said than done

it took a long time for me to accept that my opinions and thoughts were at least as good as everyone else's, and even if they weren't, that i deserve the respect of others to allow me to express them anyway and that i am entitled to get respectful feedback so that i can learn from my errors

arrogance = confidence + forcing your ideas on another person

Depression has been a shroud over me my entire life, and in response to how a rock outperforms me, well, a rock obviously has a reason for being on the earth, at least some people take an interest in them.

I don't think I need counseling or therapy at all, I was forced into that for years and it got nowhere because I was just told to "shut up and do better."

I just think that if you look at yourself as lower than everyone else, it's the best thing you can do in life, you won't ruffle any feathers that way, at least in my experience.

I've been told by people here that I have just as much right to be here as everyone else, but I think my self loathing and other issues are a lot deeper than most others. No offence to anyone, I just can't imagine someone else going through my struggle, they don't deserve it in the least bit.

This struggle is all I've ever known, and to be honest, I don't see anything about it changing.

I do think that people are wrong when they compliment me or whatever, why waste those words on me when there are others out there far more deserving?

Hi. I may or may not have the same condition you have, but with regards to self confidence, I always felt nobody could have had lower self esteem than me for the first thirty years of my life. I blamed myself for everything then: "I was too shy. I was too weak. I was unlikeable and unloveable. I was not perfect enough. I was too short. I was too anxious and fearful. I was too different. Everyone was better than I. I deserved to be punished." It was so bad that I thought even my abusive parents were not deserving of me, and I felt it was ok if everyone else criticized, rejected or bullied me, as I was acting like a doormat to be stepped on. My negative thoughts drained me so much that I had no efforts to give.

I did not trust anyone but my twin brother, and only talked a bit to him when it was just him and I alone outside in some more relaxing place. I never initiated any talk with others, looked extremely shy to everyone and avoided all, with me turning the other way or with head down and face red when others came near. If anyone talked to me, my voice would waver and I would utter a no, yes or don't know, depending on what they asked. Any non-question would be met with silence. I had no social skills, no trust that the other would like me or stay, and had horrible lifetime experiences with others, so it became habit to have negative thoughts fill and race through my head, hoping those persons would go away.

I will not repeat in detail how I changed my life around, as I posted that numerous times in this forum, but it did involve hitting rock bottom, then changing my attitude, prioritizing my efforts, having a goal or two in mind, creating a step by step plan to achieve that, but to allow for a change in the path and plan if things got in my way, with alternative solutions to get me back on track. In general, as each of us is different, and with different needs, abilities, limitations and desired approaches, what I tried and worked for me, may not be right or work for others. For me, I focused on numerous techniques and actions to worry less, be more positive and less negative, to increase my self-esteem and social skills, and to reduce other shyness traits, described elsewhere in detail in this forum.

The key too is to want or be able to change, with regards to self confidence, and with any other need or desires, as many here cannot change, or do not want to in the ways I mentioned. It seems like for every one that wants to and has changed in some way to function better, there is an equal number or more persons in this forum that is resistant to that idea, or who feels they cannot alter any ways, because of a condition, regardless of their own efforts or outside assistance. And then when one wants to feel more self-confident for instance, it is then from brainstorming to figure out what that means? To reduce shyness traits, improve language or social skills, feel more positive, to become more self-reliant, to reduce other mannerisms, to think clearer or quicker, to express emotions better, and/or to worry less, or a combination, etc.

I realize there are persons in this world who thrive under stress, who succumb to stress, or who are neutral to it and somewhere in between. In many cases there could be genetic roots, so who is to say certain predispositions can be changed without medications for instance, which I personally am not into for my own reasons, or without some other effective treatment. I just know when I was in my thirties, my entire perspective started to change after being at an all time low and after self-help attempts after deciding that is what I wanted and needed, and then my abilities became more. This created a healthier cycle, motivating me further, and resulting in a much better view of myself, others and the world. Whereas before I let the other persons, events, issues and situations control me, my state of mind, successes and happiness, eventually I started feeling I was in control of my destination, and not them.

Heck, even with family members that have so many issues, needs, and stressors, although there are days it can be hard facing these and having little time for myself, I do focus on the positives of each day, and of each person, including myself, any time doubt or stress tries to enter in. Our minds are a lot more powerful than we think. I feel we basically have four paths in life, to either: blame the world for everything wrong with us and our lives causing little desire then for us to change, blame ourselves too much and feel hopeless then to do anything about it, blame neither ourselves nor others but to just accept things as they are, or to see both we and societal members could be doing more, but with our efforts not mainly for the others to change, but for us to do things to become wiser and stronger.

I think for the two extreme personalities, in terms of self confidence-- the painfully shy and avoidant ones, and the arrogant and narcissistic ones-- although it seems like the latter is often the most successful, we can each define our own success and importance. Yes, extroverts with much self-esteem can have more opportunities in life, but they have many failures and anxieties in life, too, that we do not see. They may define their happiness and success by being seen as rich and powerful, and with highly professional status. In my case, I feel like a success regardless what anyone else thinks about me and my life. I survived a bad life, grew as a person and desired to assist and love others. I stayed true to my philosophy in changing for me and not others, yet I stayed still a great person in the process, but with me now believing fully I never deserved that bad prior life, as I was a good person then, too, unlike my skewed thought processes from before.

Last edited:
This lack of confidence is probably coming from somewhere deep in your past. Search for what that could be- maybe a traumatic event that you need to talk out and fight. Maybe an overbearing relative who controlled you inappropriately. Maybe multiple things. If you have close friend(s), they may be able to help you too. Especially if they understand your situations.

I know I had situations that were multi-layered and had affected how I thought and acted. I probably lost a great relationship/friend/marriage out of it. But I know, only I can help myself and deal with factors in front of me rather than internalize those thoughts and let others control me unnecessarily. You can't control other people, but you can treat yourself better.

I know from experience that gaining self confidence is difficult and it's more common for people on the autistic spectrum to suffer from depression / anxiety and/or lack of self confidence, but it can often be a vicious circle which needs to be broken. Often having low self confidence causes failure in numerous ways, this in turn reduces self confidence even more and causes more failures and so on. How can you break it? Well I'm not going to lie and say it's easy, but you are the only person who can truly do it and it is possible. You have to make yourself do things that are likely to gain you confidence, you probably won't feel like it at first, but it needs to be done to help yourself and you need to be strong. You could look for support groups that are local to yourself (perhaps run by charities) where you could meet like-minded people for instance and then push yourself to attend, there's even social groups on meetup.com for people suffering from depression, social anxiety and/or are on the autistic spectrum in some areas. Perhaps you could look for a new interest? If you're not ready for this then you could start by simply going out for walks, observing the world around you when you feel down. Exercise can reduce depression and make you feel better which in turn can improve confidence gradually, maybe you could go swimming or go-to the gym?

I'm not sure what counselling / therapy you received to be told to "shut up and do better", but it doesn't sound very good to say the very least. Sometimes different types of counselling / therapy can help different people. Perhaps you could look elsewhere for treatment, again maybe there's charities or support groups in your area that might help or point you in the right direction.

It's a positive thing that you are active here and I wish you the very best of luck.

PS: This is my personal opinion, please take it or leave it... Antidepressants are far too often prescribed as a "quick fix" by medical professionals, they might appear to improve things in the very short term, but they rarely work in the long run and often make things worse overall (remember that even narcotics usually make you feel good at first). I rarely come across people on antidepressants that say my depression and/or anxiety is now fine thanks to the treatment or that I'm now cured, at least not in the long term, but there's masses of people on antidepressants that are doing really badly and this can go on for years. In other words if you're still on antidepressants I would try to cut down slowly (you can't just stop taking them suddenly as you often have withdrawal and experience extreme depression / anxiety, but it's your right to stop taking them if you wish and your doctor should be-able to advise a reduction plan if you insisted).

Last edited:
29D9669A-ABD9-473C-829C-A0B7C2E154E4.jpeg
A lot of self-confidence issues have roots in the way you were raised. That was my case. I read this book at the beginning of this year and it changed my life.

Just say no to the meds.

Take one thing at a time, one day at a time - make it yours, then add the next thing.

Focus on that which works and add to the list, the more you do this the easier it becomes.

I've been that guy-defining myself in terms of the past.

The future is unwritten.

You can take part in defining it.

What do you want to change?

I am glad you are here no matter how you are feeling.

For me, it seems to be a feedback loop. The more I am around people, the more of a risk those feelings happen because feeling useless is only because there is some measure of what "worth" is supposed to be, and people made that up.

There is a dance people do. If you don't talk, they want to pull you out. Once they do that, they feel their job is done.

But once I am pulled out, I feel I have a friend, when to them, it was some duty they saw on TV. Job Done. I am a project a lot more than a friend when I would like to be a friend.

That does make me feel worthless. I also had a lot of abuse, some that was so bad it made the news. But it is like it came full circle. It hurt so bad for a while, but now I just want to go back into my world.

I had the ability to do that when I was young and it was good. I don't regret trying.

The trouble is now it is hard to go back into My World, where I once felt safe and happy, even if lonely. I am working toward that so I can feel safe again. If I succeed, I am afraid as I get older I will be labeled with dementia. I had an uncle on the Spectrum who retreated into his world at the end. "Dementia" But it was not.

I don't want to hurt anyone and make them feel bad so I will not retreat from family, but I do somehow wish I could retreat from the world like I used to be able to do. It helps so much.

Marcus, only just seen this, but in many ways, your thread echos my life too, so I get EXACTLY where you ar coming from!

I am married and still have issues with myself and am often shocked that my husband loves me and finds me desireous.

When I get complimented, I cannot fathom why; but am glad for the compliment.

I was on prazac for 16 year's ( or there abouts) and it was a wasted 16 years!

Anyway, just to let you know that I understand so much of where you are coming from.

New Threads

Top Bottom