• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self-care checklist

WolfSpirit

Not a dictionary. Or a search engine
I'm starting to read my library's copy of What Every Autistic Girl Wishes Her Parents Knew, by the Autism Women's Network, before I decide whether to buy it or not. (the free Kindle sample was certainly worthwhile!), and I just realized other people might be able to use this mental checklist I developed years ago, (well, in stages, actually, over several years). It's become reflexive now. A lot of the sensory stuff came only after I discovered other autistics, and began to learn about Sensory Integration Dysfunction. I wrote it down a few months ago after a conversation I had with someone in my life. (can't remember who now.)

Checklist of self-care needs I've learned to mentally review when in discomfort:

· Is the lighting too bright?

o Too dim?​

· Is there too much noise?

· Is it another sensory issue?

o Can I do something to fix it if it is?​

· Do I need painkillers?

· Am I too hot?

· Am I too cold?

· Do I need hydration?

o What kind? How much?​

· Do I need food?

· Would a stim toy help?

o What kind?​

§ Which one of that kind?​

· Do I need music?

o Do I have the right song(s) playing? Or do I need to change it?​

· Do I need an audiobook?
(the narrator's voice is the important part, the story is irrelevant)

· Do I need to play one of my comforting DVDs?

· Do I need to hold a stuffed animal?

o Which one(s)?​

· Do I need rest? Or sleep?

· Do I need to minimize sensory input entirely?

· Do I need to read something emotionally congruent?

o Fiction or non-fiction?​

· Do I need to talk to someone about what's in my head?

o Will emailing work? Or does it need to be “live”.​

And as @Misery points out: am l dehydrated?

Sometimes l comfort myself with something l really like to eat after a long day at work. Because l deal with a lot of sensory overload especially when bands play. I can't even hear the guest and what they ask for. But l get thru it anyways. Constant repetition and l am getting better with it. Who knew. lol

I've been thinking about a stuffed animal. Any suggestions? I need one that won't smell like that new smell and won't be all pickery. I have serious sensory issues, so I am being serious when I ask what stuffed animal is good for an aspie :)

I've been thinking about a stuffed animal. Any suggestions? I need one that won't smell like that new smell and won't be all pickery. I have serious sensory issues, so I am being serious when I ask what stuffed animal is good for an aspie :)

If you're looking for something to cuddle, make sure it is big enough to fill your arms. Too small, and it defeats the purpose. Watch for hard bits like noses and claws etc. Easier to buy in person rather than online. Sorry I don't have better suggestions.

One of the self-care lists I really pay attention to is care of my health and cleanliness.
When I was young I didn't make myself a priority as it relates to my body, I had to push myself to take showers/baths, exercise, brush my teeth. For many years now, it's become a complete routine. Body care is important as well, it's much like a present to yourself.

1.Clean clothing each day,
Clean sheets once a week.
2.Brushing teeth twice a day.
3.Facial cleanser and mosturizer, facial scrub once a week.
4.Exercise, walking, cardio, weight training, yoga.
Cycling all summer.
5.Regular doctor and dentists visits.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom